Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
Do we then go, wait a second, suppose the waiter covers five tables at a time. $150 per table probably would be low as an average, since many tables have more than two people dining. Figure over the course of six hours or so the waiter covers 20 tables. Why the waiter is getting $600 dollars for a six hour shift or $100 dollars an hour. Even assuming some of that is shared with the hostess and busboys that's an outrageous amount! Why, I'll just leave an eight dollar tip, the same as I do for the waitress at Outback - that's a much more reasonable earn for the waiter.

this thinking is beyond flawed
harahs already took out a lot for the tip
you shouldnt be comparing a fancy resteraunt to outback
you should be comparing a fancy resteraunt with a graturity taken out to one that doesnt take it out
Would you still tip 20% if they already took out a reasonable gratuity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you missed this post where I addressed this very same point:

Post where I address this very same point

Cliff notes: my thinking isn't flawed at all, your reading comprehension regarding the point I was making was beyond flawed, however.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never understood the line, "if dealers make too much money why don't you do it?" Dealing is not a satisfying career for most people. Should a high school math teacher quit his day job to pitch cards for twice the cash? Just because the answer is no (for most hs math teachers) doesn't mean the dealer isn't getting an incredible wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this definition they aren't over paid. Someone is overpaid if they make so much money that it attracts others to the field to compete with them. When places can't fill the positions that means the wage is less than what is needed to attract people to the job. The two biggest complaints I see about dealers are they aren't any good and they make too much money. Those can't both be true; if the dealers aren't any good it is because they aren't making enough to attract the best dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both things you mention actually could be true if the job structure isn't set up so that better dealers can outcompete worse dealers.

In other words, supposed Harrah's hires dealers for the WSOP of poker this way:

Question 1:, can you deal NL Hold em.
Answer 1: Yes.

Question 2: Were you one of the first 500 dealers to apply who also answered Yes to question 1.
Answer 2: Yes.

Question 3: You're Hired!
Answer 3: Excellent! Oh yeah, refresh my recollection, which is better a straight or a flush?

In the above scenario, if you paid the dealers $1000 an hour to deal at the WSOP you could have dealers that are both incompetent and overpaid.

The number of complaints I hear about dealers implies to me that players are either very prone to complain, or that cardrooms don't have effective systems for allowing the better dealers to prevail in the hiring/retention process over worse dealers.

Or you could be correct and the compensation simply isn't enough to attract the best dealers to the profession.

I'm not sure we have enough information to know which of the above is true.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Well, it's also true that many people (for example, my parents) think of dealing cards as a low-brow, semi-scummy way to make a living. This may keep some people (for example, my brother) from becoming a dealer.

But Zetack, your hypothetical about Harrah's hiring anyone with a pulse... did you just make that up, or is it in any way grounded in reality?

Anyone with any business sense would know that screening dealers for the world's biggest and most famous poker tournament is crucially important.

Plus, if you were paying dealers $1000 an hour, there would be a huge applicant pool and the best dealers would get hired that way.

Your hypothetical makes zero sense.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The number of complaints I hear about dealers implies to me that players are either very prone to complain, or that cardrooms don't have effective systems for allowing the better dealers to prevail in the hiring/retention process over worse dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one depends on where you play. If you choose to play someplace where they have a very weak understanding of poker (like a Harrah's property) they will lake the ability to separate good dealers from bad dealers, if you play some place that understands poker you will see that they have good dealers (or at least better than the competition, where I am working we have a lot of tournaments so we aren't able to get the very best dealers because our tournament players don't demand it).
Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, if you were paying dealers $1000 an hour, there would be a huge applicant pool and the best dealers would get hired that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true, especially in regards to harrahs properties
Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 PM

I think I want to throw up now.....I justed wasted 30 minutes of my life reading a thread that gets repeated about twice a year
Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I want to throw up now.....I justed wasted 30 minutes of my life reading a thread that gets repeated about twice a year

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you like my 2 horse photo/image posts?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 PM

I didn't get it...

What did it mean????

J/K

perfect illustration of the thread......
Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not true, especially in regards to harrahs properties

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that I said "if." I'm sure Harrah's doesn't actually pay $1000 an hour.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:48 AM

i never realized dealers didn't make $1000/hr. Time to think up a new career plan!
Closed Thread