Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

[ QUOTE ]
My old friends from highschool keep bugging me to play in their $0.25/$0.50 home game.

How do I answer with a thinly veiled brag without being an ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't. just go play, drink, and donk it up for fun. Home poker is more of a social thing than actual poker.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My old friends from highschool keep bugging me to play in their $0.25/$0.50 home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't. just go play, drink, and donk it up for fun. Home poker is more of a social thing than actual poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah its fun
Old 08-21-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah its fun

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, but sometimes they take it way too seriously. there was a "poker tournament" at the dorm across from mine this summer, high stakez $10 BI, 20bb starting stacks, there is one guy that is apparently the uber-shark of the group, i was actually depressed when i left. they came back when the next round started, it was hard for me not to say "i've lost 10x more today than the winner of your tournament would get, im good."
Old 08-21-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah its fun

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, but sometimes they take it way too seriously. there was a "poker tournament" at the dorm across from mine this summer, high stakez $10 BI, 20bb starting stacks, there is one guy that is apparently the uber-shark of the group, i was actually depressed when i left. they came back when the next round started, it was hard for me not to say "i've lost 10x more today than the winner of your tournament would get, im good."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea home Poker is no fun. So last night, I decide to head over to one of my best mates house to play a micro stakes freezeout. My friend is completely retarded at poker (not retarded at life, i think) and is pretty broke having just graduated and looking for a job. Anyway, it's three of us and his brother £5 in, 100bb's deep, and me an overwhelming favourite. Whilst we're only playing for peanuts, I get pretty competitive and am desperate to win.

Did I mention that my friend runs like God? All the [censored] time. After an hour or so, I 've had a few tilting moments but luckily outplayed him and his brother to get it heads up, about even in chips. So it's me and him heads up for the grand prize of £15. We're playing for 15 minutes or so and he's picked up a decent lead. I also notice he's getting tired.

Then comes the most ridiculous hand I've played. I get Kh 8 os on the button, I raise 3 times, he smooths. Flop comes 10h 9h 2x. He check calls a bet. Turn comes 6h. He check calls, a decent bet. At this point his most likely hand is a deuce, 67, 68, and a 9. If he had top pair or better, I'd know about it. Anyway, river comes a 9 off suit. He now leads into me. Most of his leads are weak, but the problem is he isnt good enough to check raise trips on the river as he knows theres no more streets to come so trips is a possiblilty. Anyway I tank and shove all in. He thinks for a bit, counts the chips in the pot and calls. I muck my hand he shows AJ os both black.

I just get out of my seat and say something along the lines of 'You're an absolute joke. Everytime we play, you just call, call, call, call, like an idiot or flop and backdoor the [censored] nuts. How can u possibly call there? It's plain retarded. If you were playing for more money you would never play this retarded. This is why these £5 games are a joke. If we were playing for £50 you wouldn't do something so brain dead. Next time we play £50 minimum.' He replies saying, 'I just wanted to go play pro evo and had enough chips to make the call. I knew you were bluffing'

I felt pretty bad afterwards, especially as he needs the money but I just can't help being competitive, no matter what's at stake. Poker brings the worst out of people. Pro Evo is worse though. I won't talk about what happened there.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 AM

yeah, the above is kind of the response everyone here is talking about avoiding by not talking about poker
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 AM

"Do you play poker"

"yeah, I do"

"Me too! At this 5$ buyin last week, I had an ace and another big card, and--"

*gunshot sound*

So far I've only shot them, sometimes I think about just shooting myself though.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, and for the thread, I generally get non-retarded responses when I tell people I play poker, but I told my bass guitar teacher and he asked two of the infamous questions: "If I give you x, could you turn it into y?" and "So how do win, counting cards"? But he was genuinely interested and intrigued, he didn't look down upon it at all. He also seemed to understand the responses I gave to those questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key for me. I don't mind retarded questions as long as the person will at least listen to and try to understand to my response, even if that leads them to slightly-less-dumb questions. However I do get mad if people ask a dumb question or give a bold 'its all luck, YO,' and not listen.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 AM

I started to gamble when I was 17, now I am 22 and just playing poker..
while gambling, I heard that famous saying "what if I give you.." like a hundrad times, most of the times I would take the money and say that I lost it.

About me playing poker online knows only my girlfriend and best friend. Two of us play a lot online and it is better that no one know about it...
I make nice solid extra income monthly and as far as everything goes well, no one has to do anything to do with it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the above is kind of the response everyone here is talking about avoiding by not talking about poker

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Whenever I play live people know I'm good so for whatever reason they gave me massive respect despite the fact I never fold the button and three bet like 25% of pots. Playing like that is really fun, the only people I would get mad at are douchebags who think they are good and make fun of people just trying to have a good time.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM

meh the only people that ask me negative questions regarding poker are the ones that haven't been to my apartment, cuz they don't see the free 50" i got, my 3 monitors, laptop, media computer for the TV, etc.

that usually instills a "whoa" look in their eyes and they don't really ask too many q's.