View Poll Results: Would You Participate in a weekly Prison Break discussion
Yes 21 77.78%
No, I watch the show but wouldnt participate 4 14.81%
No, Don't care! 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Stars VIP Wild speculation

wow, didnt mean to start up anything

maybe he got a lot better after I moved up, but I didn't think very highly of march's play

I never played a super super lot with him tho, so maybe he just was having a crap day the first dya I played with him and then I never adjusted my read after that cuz im a fish.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM

He was discussed some after he made elite. you're not the only one who thought that of his play I guess.
I don't really share that view. As I said, I think all 3 are pretty good although somewhat different styles.

I don't think you started up that much though. You were taking a funny slam at one of the players and I just couldn't figure out which one it was. March would have been my 3rd choice though so shows what I know.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any 6 max table you open up as minimum 3 pros and most likely 4. Chezlaw, marchinvest, sethypoo, and then if I am on the table that would make it 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

so only 2 good players on a table of 6...sounds like pretty good tables to me

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a shot at someone...and actually, it seems that at least recently, I've been keeping very different hours than Chez or MI...

Despite my antipathy for OLP, he does raise good points. Someone like me who grinds 40-60k hands of midstakes LHE/month is a rake machine for stars. Though once I realized that A) I had no chance at SNE for this year, and B) there was really not enough benefit to really grind towards the 750k bonus, I cut back my play somewhat, (as opposed to increasing it somewhat in a push to get to that next level). Let me put it this way, I would be FAR more likely to take a run at elite next year if I knew that if I fell somewhat short (i.e. 750k) there would be some sort of continuing benefit into 2009. My guess is that me taking that shot (and missing) is worth minimum $50k in rake to stars, so incentivizing me some portion of that is pretty good business.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 PM

sethy - you seemed to be playing a ton so I thought you were actually making a late-push to make it. Surprised to hear otherwise.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sethy - you seemed to be playing a ton so I thought you were actually making a late-push to make it. Surprised to hear otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really start grinding until June or so (I played zero hands until basically April 1), so I started too far back. I'm actually going to hit the 500k sometime in Dec, barring circumstances...If I quit my real job, I could probably make it this year if I didn't kill myself in the process after playing 6 hours of LHE a day...
Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, didnt mean to start up anything

maybe he got a lot better after I moved up, but I didn't think very highly of march's play

I never played a super super lot with him tho, so maybe he just was having a crap day the first dya I played with him and then I never adjusted my read after that cuz im a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've come around to the view that he's a pretty good player who is exploitable in certain areas because he plays too many tables. Which is probably equally true of me, so there you go...
Old 10-12-2007, 11:22 AM

Back on topic...

If the freerolls are a good marketing aspect for lower tier VIPs then maybe I'm thinking Stars should keep them.

I have a feeling they might not be though otherwise I don't think Stars would be on here asking our opinions on various options other than the freerolls.

Maybe we should all accept the fact that this is a promotion targeting small stakes/lower tier Stars players and/or new players. After all, if it weren't for them most of us wouldn't be playing in the first place.

We (high volume players) have our promotions such as the milestone bonuses. Maybe we should let them have theirs.

So yeah, maybe I changed my mind on this whole matter. But I'm looking at it from the viewpoint that we should all want what is best for everybody.

Then again, maybe this particular promotion really isn't such a big hit for the little guys either.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM

I think low level players are drawn to what for them is a large number freeroll. They really don't do the math on it. I think fish would love daily $10k freerolls over a $70k once a week freeroll. They just love to have the hope of playing. Much like poor people with lottery tickets.

Still I think Stars would get the same marketing value from giving away 3 $215 Million tickets as from the freerolls without having any of the issues the freerolls have.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think low level players are drawn to what for them is a large number freeroll. They really don't do the math on it. I think fish would love daily $10k freerolls over a $70k once a week freeroll. They just love to have the hope of playing. Much like poor people with lottery tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. I think Stars even eluded to it before and I also think this is the main reason they changed the freeroll structure from last year to this year, where they have a "bigger" freeroll ($50,000) but more players playing.

So if this is the catch that's pulling in the fish then kudos. But I don't think it is. Most Supernovas aren't exactly fish (even if a good chunk aren't winners) and they know exactly what they're getting. And maybe Stars realizes this and that is why alternative options are being discussed.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM

I don't think it was ONLY for excitement factor that it was all combined into the $50k. I think they realized that 3 or 4 freerolls every Saturday for the SN's was kind of silly.
There was quite a bit of whining about it in a similar thread last yr on all this stuff. Most of it coming from me of course.