Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: A sub-point

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's not a simple term, that's just it. you have to read the paper, or at least skim it, to understand what they mean. however i did say a little bit about productivity they studied, the three ratios defined above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are these three ratios important?

[/ QUOTE ]

so you didn't read it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Not yet. I'm looking for a reason to devote that much time to a topic that doesn't seem terribly interesting or important yet. Convince me.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:49 PM

no, if you don't want to take the time to read it then forget it.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't effectively make your point without taking up less than 1 page, you really are a poor communicator. I don't waste my time with 25 pages of details when I just want the point.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You believe AC will eliminate prolonged unemployment and non-insane poverty? A 0% unemployment rate isn't even efficient

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because there is a consistant unemployment rate doesn't mean that there is long term unemployment.

[ QUOTE ]
Welfare benefits are a very sizeable portion of the budget. Cut it in half with AC "efficiency" and you still have a big problem. AC will not eliminate most of the need for those funds

[/ QUOTE ]
You know what eliminates the need for welfare? Jobs. The ability and desire to work for a living, and the free market provides jobs to those who are willing and ab le to work. Those that aren't willing? [censored] em, someone who is lazy and unmotivated doesn't deserve free stuff. Those that are unable? There just aren't many of them around in real life. Physical and menttal disabilities that are severe enough to prevent productivity are quite rare and there is no need to think it will take hundreds of billions of dollars to provide care for them. Even in the case of sever bad luck, like a natural disaster such as Katrina the rest of the country gave ~ 3 billion dollars to help those who needed it, billions more were donated for Tsunami relief and 9/11 victims.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't effectively make your point without taking up less than 1 page, you really are a poor communicator. I don't waste my time with 25 pages of details when I just want the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice try, man. you're really trying to excuse your ignorance.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You know what eliminates the need for welfare? Jobs. The ability and desire to work for a living, and the free market provides jobs to those who are willing and ab le to work. Those that aren't willing? [censored] em, someone who is lazy and unmotivated doesn't deserve free stuff. Those that are unable? There just aren't many of them around in real life. Physical and menttal disabilities that are severe enough to prevent productivity are quite rare and there is no need to think it will take hundreds of billions of dollars to provide care for them. Even in the case of sever bad luck, like a natural disaster such as Katrina the rest of the country gave ~ 3 billion dollars to help those who needed it, billions more were donated for Tsunami relief and 9/11 victims.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of money went to Katrina because it was all over the media. The person with mental or physical disabilities is not on the news unless he/she is a celebrity. this person has no charity drive.

you say there's "not a lot of them around." how many are there, exactly? you obviously have no idea.

let me guess, you are a middle to upper class white male who has never had to worry about money.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so total profit is what you use to decide what the best firm is? I use efficiency. A profit like that indicates to me the workers are being paid too little, something I don't value in a firm. Nike is worth billions but it has sweatshops that treat workers about as badly as slaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is your definition of efficiency? How is it increased by paying workers more money for the same work (or, it seems, decreased by paying them less for the same work)?

If you want to define corporate goals in terms of humaneness, that's fine, but that's a totally different goal than efficiency.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM

did anyone read the pdf i posted a link to? this is frustrating.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice try, man. you're really trying to excuse your ignorance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ignorant on many topics, as is everyone. I prefer to stick with the basics until I have an interest/need to get more detailed. If I asked Borodog the basics behind Quantam Theory, I would hope he could do his best to tell it as short as possible, not give me a 500 page book to read. It is the same reason why I never listen to the hour long podcasts Nielso posts. If I need more or am interested in more information, your paper might be a great thing to read. University papers are often full of bias or flaws and are almost always agenda driven. Worker controlled firms may be superior in some industries/sizes but inferior in others. Perhaps that is why this article comes up with its conclusions (no one attempts a worker controlled Boeing, but there are plenty of worker controlled law firms). You claim that worker controlled firms are just as efficient as owner controlled firms. This may be true as an aggeragate, I have no clue. But if they are so great, I would expect more people would create them (or at least a mixed version, where a capitalist would give his workers ownership on a large portion of the investment).
Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Poofler, the free market will fix everything....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Anyone who wants to accuse anyone of using strawmen should reference this post. Nobody has claimed it will fix everything.