Divorced 10 1.86%
Widowed 3 0.56%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Re: this chick is fat, yo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Elaine,

Your use of the statement "Why are women so stupid?" as an example of OOT misogyny is something referred to as "quoting out of context" which means that you have removed the statement from the surrounding words in such a manner as to distort its meaning. This is not generally considered a good way to prove a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

OK, then here's the entire quote.
[ QUOTE ]
I would appreciate if a woman here would answer this question for me: Why are women so stupid? Seriously, very few of you are as hot as Scarlett Johanson, why try to measure up when you know damn well that you can't. It's like me asking you who's stronger myself or a gorilla and then getting pissed when you say gorilla.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the full quote is even more offensive because the true context is the thread - which talks about a joke between a husband a wife where the wife complains that the husband didn't choose her to play the part of Helen of Troy. The poster of the above quote assumed (as part of his stereotype of women) that the wife was stupid and that's why she thought she should play Helen. But in fact, the wife is not stupid, as the husband pointed out. She was insecure at worst and joking at best. But the poster just took the opportunity to espouse his contempt for women and his belief that we're stupid, thus the quote makes a perfect example of OOT misogyny (either as the short or the long version).

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree that your example is misogyny...but it is such a silly, harmless and stupid post I don't really think anyone could possibly take it seriously.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Someone Help, This fat chick trying to eat this guy!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was GambleGamble in drag.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:00 PM

Elaine,

"The poster of the above quote assumed (as part of his stereotype of women) that the wife was stupid and that's why she thought she should play Helen. But in fact, the wife is not stupid, as the husband pointed out. She was insecure at worst and joking at best. But the poster just took the opportunity to espouse his contempt for women and his belief that we're stupid, thus the quote makes a perfect example of OOT misogyny"

Please. How about the poster was using a bit of hyperbole to make a point that women often get into silly arguments over stupid stuff like this that just make no sense at all?

Have you ever pointed to a really attractive woman and asked your SO if he thinks that woman is hot? Have you ever asked how you look in a certain dress and then gotten in an argument over the response you got? Perhaps you don't do these things, but many women do. And, oftentimes, the whole premise for the resulting argument is indeed pretty stupid.

Do guys do their own share of stupid stuff? Yes. I could say "Why are guys so stupid? If you don't know how to get on the freeway and you are at the f'in gas station, why don't you just ask the attendant instead of driving off and guessing?" Would that indicate some hatred of men? Because according to you, apparently it would.

When people say stupid stuff on these forums, they get called stupid. Every day countless guys are called stupid on this board. Is that indicative of some widespread contempt towards males on this forums?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've ever made light of a woman's looks or weight in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this and realized it's true for me as well. I feel like I shouldn't say bad things about someone if they haven't done anything wrong.

Plus I'm just bored by topics on how hot someone is. I don't really see why I should care about others' opinions, or why they should care about mine.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys spend all day analyzing women to the slightest flaw, and laugh about it, when in reality most of you are either not socially aware or attractive enough to get with a woman with half of her "rating."

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. this is why we make of fun them. duh.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:43 AM

Elaine and others,

I share your pain.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
blarg,
um, i'm not fishing for compliments. you can think what you want about me. but i am not. compliments about my looks made by people who have only seen pictures of me that i selected for them to look at don't mean much to me. people don't really know what they're talking about. that doesn't mean i don't get sensitive about my looks either because obviously i do. i know what i look like.

just to be clear , i never said i thought people on this forum were mean to me. for the most part people have been positive toward me - i agree, i'm pretty well accepted. all i said is i don't like being used as an example of how 'respectful' people have been in response to female posters that have posted pictures. i just don't like it, ok ? that doesn't mean i have had an overwhelming negative response to my pictures at all. if you think that's what i feel you are misunderstanding me.

there are girls who haven't really had any negative things happen to them , where i feel i have, so maybe use them as examples if you need to. maybe i am 'exaggerating' the negativity by saying i have experienced it.

i am not saying i expect anything different. or that people have been unreasonable toward me. i just don't like being used as an example. it is simple. i'm pretty sure the only times i ever brought this up is when someone uses me as an example like this (this is the second time). it really doesn't matter anyway, i shouldn't have commented on it.

as i said earlier i know it could be much worse - i'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. and maybe that is what you guys are referring to ? i don't want to know.

anyway blarg i like you too but you should really just shut up about this now, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gorie, you are not good at communicating that you're not oversensitive.

And really, by injecting yourself into these discussions, you can't at the same time say people shouldn't respond to what you say or talk about you. That's just very silly. You can't have it both ways at once.

I wish discussions about such things didn't come up, because I worry about hurting your feelings, and you kind of seem almost determined to have them hurt. But it's not fair or sensible to wade right in and then expect no discussion to follow, or for it to develop along some sort of controlled lines whose rules aren't very clear and contradict themselves anyway.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:52 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.

um, i think the point is that i AM sensitive,?

which is why i don't like being used as an example in such discussions?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There have been countless times when guys post pics of their gf who does not look like a model, but guys are generally pretty respectful of and sincerely complimentary towards the person as a REAL-LIFE GIRL. The same thing holds for when female posters like gorie post their pics here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever bumped Cardcounter's thread the other day proved you wrong. As did the "My wife just PWNED me" thread.

Seriously, El D, OOT is pretty disrespectful of all women. Every thread involving a wife or girlfriend gets at least a couple very rude replies that the mods don't delete. (They will however delete anti-semitic stuff, which I find interesting).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they jump on anti-Semitic things far quicker than they jump on other racial/ethnic stuff, and definitely let anti-black stuff get plenty of free passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A very large number of people on my ignore list are there for being racist. And yes, even some for being really mean to women here. Though in general, I agree with El D's point that the majority of posters are very nice to "real" girls as opposed to the "supermodel" types. I think that the exchange between gorie and El D is also telling as he is correct that a huge number of posters have been complimentary towards gorie's photos, yet she recalls it diifferently, which shows the potential negative impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think she set herself up for a fall posting her pictures, and by repeatedly exaggerating the negativity expressed toward her regarding them(this is not the first time -- this seems to be a pet subject with Gorie), refused not to take it. In fact most people like Gorie and I'm not sure why the hell we should even know what she looks like or why she wanted to show us. It is the internet, after all. And posting pics of oneself and then being disappointed if you are able to find reviews that are less than glowing seems perilously close to fishing for compliments. The internet is the wrong pond. OOT is the wrong pond.

Yet still, most responses toward Gorie were and remain positive. I think Gorie sometimes seems enamored of her own suffering. Eh, whatever works for ya. Any victimization here was almost entirely self-created, though.

I love ya, Gorie, but you can't expect every last random person on the internet to be flattering. It doesn't work that way, not even for girls. Now cheer up and, as I once said to a friend, don't stick your dick in front of a passing train.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I think Gorie ROCKS. She's the coolest chick on the planet. But she suffers, like all of her "sisters" do, from only seeing the one or two negative comments about her looks among the hundreds of positive ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Nobody has to like the odd negative comment, but if that's all one gets, one should be near prostrate with gratitude at how well things are going. Say perhaps, with one's butt sticking up in the air.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Brillant retort.

You're a towel!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit enjoying that.