View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
Career postseason line for A-Rod: .279/.361/.483. Plz stfu. Small sample size as well. Vs some of the best pitchers in the league. Stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

the games when he was in Seattle, the games vs MN in 04, and the first 3games of the Boston04 series don't count

I thought everybody knew that
Old 11-01-2007, 12:04 AM

KIND OF LIKE HOW DEREK JETER'S 07 DOESN'T COUNT EITHER

<3 media
Old 11-01-2007, 12:53 AM

rbnn,
5 and 6 are the only mildly relevant things.

After seeing David Wright on The Daily Show I have such a mancrush on him.
Jon Stewart: What's it like people speculating ARod will go the Mets taking your job? Aren't you the Mets 3b?

DWright: If the front office called me up and asked me to move positions to help the team I would do it.

Stewart: A-Rod is a cancer and ruins team chemistry agree?

DWright: 52 HRs helps a lot as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart man.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:04 AM

Not exactly what he said... he said: "First and foremost I want to win." He then said if the front office called and said that he was involved in moves necessary to bring A-Rod: "He would sit down and listen."

He was impressive, but he wasn't giving away his position at 3rd just yet.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:06 AM

Wright's a better 3b anyway (IIRC, and this feels pretty damn right).
Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rbnn,

After seeing David Wright on The Daily Show I have such a mancrush on him.
Jon Stewart: What's it like people speculating ARod will go the Mets taking your job? Aren't you the Mets 3b?

DWright: If the front office called me up and asked me to move positions to help the team I would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it was a very good interview
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 AM

TMTTR,
That is more accurate and I just didn't feel like copying it verbatim.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wright's a better 3b anyway (IIRC, and this feels pretty damn wright).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rbnn,

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try to be more clear.

The question I was addressing is this: Can the addition of ARod harm team performance, even if he plays well as an individual?

To answer this, I assume a couple of things. I assume that a team's performance depends on the performance of each player. I assume that players have some control over how they perform. I assume that there is a difference between those performances that help a team the most and those that garner the player the most immediate public praise and money. Thus, I assume that some players must be convinced to sacrifice some individual rewards for the sake of overall team performance.

There are many kinds of player performance that might help the team more than that player. Taking many pitches, even if it leads to a 15-pitch out, for example, might help the team more than swinging for the fences early in the count. Spending time practicing defense, rather than batting practice. Simply practicing or training more intensively, or working on unusual plays. Practicing bunts or situational hitting. Acceding to less playing time, either to give another player a chance to play or just to rest, even if it harms a player's cumulative season statistics. There are many others.

A great manager is skillful at making sure each player's contribution is appreciated and recognized. By doing this, players know that efforts they make to help the team eventually help them.

The points I made about Rodriguez all have this theme: his presence makes it harder for a manager to reward other players. There is less public praise the manager can give, because it all goes to ARod. There is less money the GM can give, as it's going to ARod. Because ARod's huge fee and notoriety mostly comes from power hitting, and to a much lesser extent from any other facet of the game, it's difficult for a manager to persuade other players to focus on those other facets of the game, it seems to me, when ARod is rewarded to such an extent.

I agree with you that "team chemistry" in the sense of happy players, or players who are not bitter and snarky, is not directly relevant: players are there to win, not be happy. But team chemistry in the sense of fostering an atmosphere in which each player uses his skills to contribute the most to the team winning, can be important. And the qualities I listed of ARod's - sapping media attention, salary many times that of his teammates, unsportsmanlike behavior, focusing public attention to individual statistics, weak defense compared to power, less money for other helpful signings - together could harm team chemistry under this second meaning.

I am not claiming that signing ARod would in fact hurt team chemistry. Nor am I claiming that, even if it did hurt it, his positive effect on a team would not make up for it. Nor that a good manager could not partially defuse these problems.

I am merely asserting that an assessment of ARod's value to a team should explicitly take into account each of these factors.