Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: What\'d You Shoot Today? (Golf BBV Thread)

[ QUOTE ]
I Google Mapped the Truckee course to see WTF was going on and it doesn't look like the course has a driving range! Huge foul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. And the greens fee was $160. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM

From my memory that picture actually doesn't do the elevation change justice-- but on the other hand, I remember the green being much deeper than the picture suggests, and more room long and short off the green. So while it might take experience or good guess work to get it just right, finding the surface isn't hard (maybe I just lucked out though). You tend to face stuff like this whenever you go somewhere new, and times ten in mountain courses.

Funny, all the rounds I've played in Tahoe, Truckee, etc., I don't remember playing in windy conditions. It must suck.

edit: "The range" is a net you can hit into behind the first tee.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM

$160 for a round and a net for a driving range. Is Truckee a really high-end area because of its proximity to mountains and Lake Tahoe? Is the land just too expensive to buy that acreage or is it not flat enough?

I think I passed through Truckee a few years ago on my way to some whitewater rafting, and also played Edgewood Tahoe and some goat pasture-ish course nearby that I think is called Lake Tahoe Golf Course, but both at least could afford land for a range.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Disclaimer: (I'm making stuff up.)

I think there's comparatively limited development generally in North Lake Tahoe and that Tahoe-Donner (Truckee) area has managed growth pretty well-- second get-away home, vacation home, investment opportunities-- good recreation options year round. It's a short golf season and they get resort type traffic and they charge resort type prices because they can, yo. What's golf in your neck cost during spring training?

Coyote Moon was put in a meadow right below a housing area and it may just have been a question of useable real estate. Come to think of it, and it was a long time ago, but when Tahoe-Donner was new it didn't have a range. (I'm not sure if it does now, or not.)
Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$160 for a round and a net for a driving range. Is Truckee a really high-end area because of its proximity to mountains and Lake Tahoe? Is the land just too expensive to buy that acreage or is it not flat enough?

I think I passed through Truckee a few years ago on my way to some whitewater rafting, and also played Edgewood Tahoe and some goat pasture-ish course nearby that I think is called Lake Tahoe Golf Course, but both at least could afford land for a range.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this particular case, it's part of this "Tahoe Mountain Club", along with a couple of other golf courses, real estate developments, and resorts. I suspect the rates are more reasonable if you buy a house in the area. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's golf in your neck cost during spring training?

[/ QUOTE ]
Rack rates for nicer courses are generally in the $100-200+ range during that time, but I can't think of a single top notch course that doesn't have a large, generous range so I figured something else was coming into play here (availability of flat/usable land or the cost of the real estate).

When I played Edgewood Tahoe a few Augusteses ago I think we paid $240 each, tied with Cabo del Sol for most I've ever paid to play golf. Damn was it worth it though. Also, I heard they were gonna reroute the 9th hole to bring the lake into play which makes sense, but not sure if they've done that yet.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's golf in your neck cost during spring training?

[/ QUOTE ]
Rack rates for nicer courses are generally in the $100-200+ range during that time, but I can't think of a single top notch course that doesn't have a large, generous range so I figured something else was coming into play here (availability of flat/usable land or the cost of the real estate).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no range = teh suck, but overall I felt better about the $320 we spent here than the 4-something we paid at Troon North last Christmas. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 PM

Tahoe-Donner does have a driving range now. I played it a couple months ago. Beautiful course. Respectable (for me) 84 (40-44). I think it was $85 but that was playing with a housing association member.

I liked T-D better than Edgewood. Edgewood seemed a little plain to me considering the price except for the few holes where you get good looks at the lake. Of course maybe I was just bitter because I didn't play well.

Never played Coyote Moon but heard great things. Twilight (after 2:00) is $100 so thats not too bad.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edgewood seemed a little plain to me

[/ QUOTE ]
Ban plz.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I played Edgewood Tahoe a few Augusteses ago I think we paid $240 each

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. South Lake is a bit of a different situation, I think. To my taste there are better options north (or, at least there were when I played). It would be nice to go back, because my memory of Edgewood has never been as favorable as others-- not saying I didn't like/enjoy it.