Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

eh, I could see Newcastle turning it down, but Bolton not so much.

With that being said, I think Sammy Lee being replaced is more likely to occur than Anelka being sold.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM

Chelsea is still looking to get Alves from Sevilla. Sevilla rejected Chelsea 21.5M Euro bid last week. Rumors are that Chelsea has now offered 30M Euros. Rumors also say that once Chelsea gets Alves, they'll sell Arjen Robben to Real Madrid.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Yeah even for 12M GBP I don't know about Obafemi leaving Newcastle.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chelsea is still looking to get Alves from Sevilla. Sevilla rejected Chelsea 21.5M Euro bid last week. Rumors are that Chelsea has now offered 30M Euros. Rumors also say that once Chelsea gets Alves, they'll sell Arjen Robben to Real Madrid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been following this quite closely.

It was rumored that Chelsea and Sevilla had agreed to a deal that was 32 million euros plus an additional 4 million in conditional money. Abramovich then stepped in and said that this was too much for a wing back and so they lowered the offer to 29 million euros with no mention of extra, conditional, money so that was probably the full amount including that. Sevilla said that the last Chelsea offer wasn't even close. I'm not sure what the 21.5M GBP offer is that you're talking about (that's 32 million euros so maybe the first) or where you get this 30M figure from. I would be interested in this as I haven't heard anything of a renewed Chelsea push.

Real Madrid are also interested but I don't see that happening. I'm not perfectly sure that they are even interested as it is fairly likely to be some combination of the "galactico press" trying to find things that aren't there, Sevilla trying to get more money off Chelsea, or Alves' agent trying to get himself a nice chunk. It doesn't help of course that Alves says [censored] like "any footballer that tells you he doesn't dream of playing for Real Madrid is a liar." If he keeps this line he will pretty quickly fall from being one of my three favorite players to being a player I can't stand (see Ramos, Sergio). Supposedly Real Madrid made a "huge" (according to the aforementioned ridiculous galactico press) offer of 37 million euros and Cicinho for Alves and Puerta. Alves is probably worth the 37 million himself, and Puerta is probably worth something in the 15-20 M range while Cicinho is worth 8-10 M I would say. In reality that it would be to a league rival should also inflate the figures so the offer is terrible. It would suck but actually be amusing if they offered like 60 million or whatever for Alves and Puerta and then ran a lineup consisting of Sergio Ramos, Daniel Alves, Jose Antonio Reyes, Julio Baptista, and Antonio Puerta.

I find it strange in general when Alves says he wants to grow as a footballer. It's pretty weird considering that Sevilla have been incredibly successful already (2 UEFA Cups, European Supercup (another pending), Copa del Rey, Spanish Supercup, and finishing only 2 points behind the league champions isn't bad, admittedly it's pointless but Sevilla have now been ranked #1 in the FIFA Club rankings for over a year) and look like becoming a monster for the next few years. I wonder if he's actually saying "I want to make a lot more money as a footballer" or what. If that really is what he wants I think Sevilla would be better off just keeping him and paying him a fuckload.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 PM

Jared, any comment on the rumours of Ramos replacing Jol at Tottenham?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jared, any comment on the rumours of Ramos replacing Jol at Tottenham?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it'll happen, though it was reported all over that he met with Tottenham people in Sevilla and he admitted to being at the hotel where the Tottenham people were so he did talk. All sides seem to be saying nothing is going on there.

I think it'll end up being good for Sevilla as the president has been dickish about the negotiations extending his contract, which is up at the end of the season. Hopefully the threat of him actually leaving will start that up again and he can sign a longer deal.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 AM

BTW just to update the Alves situation, it appears that Del Nido is looking for 40 million euros for Alves.

This is an excellent price in my opinion. I don't think it's a fair price in the sense that if there was some sort of huge auction he would probably go for less but Sevilla are better off keeping him unless some team goes out of their mind.

Sevilla have rejected two more offers - presumably from Real Madrid and Chelsea. According to Marca, which again should be taken with a grain of salt, Chelsea made an offer of 36 million euros total which was rejected. Interesting that this is the amount over which they supposedly agreed.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eh, I could see Newcastle turning it down, but Bolton not so much.

With that being said, I think Sammy Lee being replaced is more likely to occur than Anelka being sold.

[/ QUOTE ]

the benefit of an offer like that, is that Bolton could certainly use the money to spend on two or three players, and Newcastle can make a profit on him and still have several strikers to fill the void
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if he's actually saying "I want to make a lot more money as a footballer" or what. If that really is what he wants I think Sevilla would be better off just keeping him and paying him a fuckload.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's ALWAYS what atheletes mean. They say stuff about playing for contenders and [censored]. But what they really want is to get paid.

How much of the transfer fee do the players get?

(PS, I don't remember where I found the figures in my original post. I was just Googling around to find out more information and don't remember which was the exact source.)
Old 08-22-2007, 02:51 PM

According to BBC, Gabriel Heinze will sign with Real Madrid, Juande Ramos told Spurs to eff off, and Everton and Middlesbrough agreed on a transfer fee for Yakubu (£11.25m).