Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: New York City bans trans fats

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So it's food, but it's not considered food?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. it's not food for us, have you ever said , boy I'd like a big plate of pondscum right about now.

but it could be considered food I guess it must have nutrietnts and stuff since all the sci fi stuff has people eating algea.

so it's not food, but has the potential to become food.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate brussels sprouts. Yuck. I've never said boy I'd like a big plate of brussels sprouts right about now.

So those must not be food.

But it could be considered food I guess. It must have nutrients and stuff (which are NOT FOOD!). So it has the potential to become food.

[ QUOTE ]
new category: potential food. or if it has to be processed (likely): prefood. if it is processed naturally then it's preffod that becomes natural food or just food, processed art. then its art. food.

so there we have it, the anser to name an artificial food. since it didn't start out as a food, but rather as a pre-food, it qualifies as artificial (in one possible scenario).

[/ QUOTE ]

But you said it could be natural. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'm still not clear on the difference between artificial and natural processing.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Steaks come from wherever cows come from.

[/ QUOTE ]

logically tehn, you must be able to have a steak that doesn't come from a cow? err ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show the logic that leads to this conclusion.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since you admit "a little" arsenic won't make you sick, what's the difference? I only get sick if I eat "too much".

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I have one gram of transfat per month, my diet is automaticaly unhealthy, regardless of whatever else I'm eating?

[/ QUOTE ]
oops i meant arsenic is unhealthy at any level but doens't necessarily mean your whole diet is unhealthy.

heated milk I just meant some people claim that heating makes the milk unhealthy because it wrecks the natural enzymes or something, so mayhbe that isn't the best example iof a natural food.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please show the logic that leads to this conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

reducto bovine absurdum
Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the quantity fallacy? Is less fried chicken healthier than more, yes or no? What is the difference between this and transfats?

What is "out of my control"? This makes no sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

eating a healthy item to exess can be unhealthy. this is a quantity issue. you have congtrol over how much you eat.

eating an unhealthy item (poison) is unhealthy due to its instrinstic quality of being poisionous, not due to the fact that it is consumed in overwhemlming quantites. if your food is laced with trace poision you cannot control this.(restarurant)

you can OD on water. (quantitiy) water is not poisonous.

you can die from allergy to peanuts (quality) penauts poisonous is u allergic

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm allergic to peanuts, there may be some quantity I can eat and NOT die. The quantity determines if I die or not.

Do peanuts have no healthy qualities simply because I will die if I eat "too many"?

If I go to a restaurant and I have no control over "trace poison" in the form of transfats then you have to also admit that I also have "no control" over the quantity of "good, but only if you don't eat too much" stuff like sugar.

Of course, I CAN control this, since nobody is forcing me to eat in a restaurant in the first place.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But you said it could be natural. I'm still not clear on the difference between artificial and natural processing.

[/ QUOTE ]

the algae processing is theoretical afaik, so I don't know anything about it.

but in general I mean you don't come up with wildy different chemical compunds.

so yeah, alcohol would be a product of artificial processing.

mixing eggs and flour into dough would be natural.

youknow, in general.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate brussels sprouts. Yuck. I've never said boy I'd like a big plate of brussels sprouts right about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but if you take into account the possible range of tastes that you might have (or an unkown opponent might have), then it might be very narrow, but some poeople might think exactly that they want brussel srpout.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do peanuts have no healthy qualities simply because I will die if I eat "too many"?

If I go to a restaurant and I have no control over "trace poison" in the form of transfats then you have to also admit that I also have "no control" over the quantity of "good, but only if you don't eat too much" stuff like sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my example, you die if you eat one peanut.

well I mean you can control whether to eat one piece of cake, or 4 pieces like me.

examples are to give you the gist, they're not perfect.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Since you admit "a little" arsenic won't make you sick, what's the difference? I only get sick if I eat "too much".

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I have one gram of transfat per month, my diet is automaticaly unhealthy, regardless of whatever else I'm eating?

[/ QUOTE ]
oops i meant arsenic is unhealthy at any level but doens't necessarily mean your whole diet is unhealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you retract the statement that "trans fats cannot be part of a healthy diet, it's out of your control" ?

[ QUOTE ]
heated milk I just meant some people claim that heating makes the milk unhealthy because it wrecks the natural enzymes or something, so mayhbe that isn't the best example iof a natural food.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you're talking about now.

Milk is basically water with a bunch of stuff in it.

Assume milk is "healthy." If you take some of that stuff out, is the remainder suddenly "not healthy"? If it is, what changed? Wouldn't that stuff be not healthy even if you didn't remove the stuff?

I cook some corn and peas. This is a natural food. I remove the peas. Is the remaining corn suddenly no longer natural?

When I trim fat off of a "natural" steak, am I making it artificial?

Why would removing some enzymes or whatever from Milk make it artificial?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but if you take into account the possible range of tastes that you might have (or an unkown opponent might have), then it might be very narrow, but some poeople might think exactly that they want brussel srpout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people might think exactly that they want transfat.