Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: FTP Regs Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I played a single hand with Eff_Congress the other day that made me think he's pretty awful (haven't played much if at all with him before). No HH cause i'm at work, but basically:

BB(Me): 99
Random (UTG): A2
Congress (BTN): 88

Raised pot, we all call, Flop:

662 (two spades)

I donk it and they both call. Turn:

Js

I check, random checks and Congress bets pot with his pair of 8s. Not sure what he thinks he's ahead of...

-Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

AK/Q/J/T and a smaller pair?

i mean THIS hand makes you think a guy is terrible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't the preflop raiser and I donk into two people on that board, both of which call. There's no way on earth I have overcards there. The only way I could is if i've got the flush draw, but the turn brings the flush and he bets into two people anyway. It was an atrocious play on his part.

Unless both me and the other guy have either pockets threes, fours, fives or sevens he basically beats nothing.

-Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he's turning his 88 into a bluff once both players check to him when the flush hits.

maybe he's protecting vs. random hands w/ a spade.

maybe he's asking himself who the [censored] ever donks anything like 99 multiway here.

im not like an eff_congress disciple or anything but this is a uniquely poor example of why he's not great.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM

He wasn't turning it into a bluff. The guy with A2 called his turn bet and rivered a second deuce, and eff_congress called a 2/3 pot bet on a 6622J board with three spades.

Also donking 99 there is fine, if the turn hadn't come a spade i'd still have been confident I had the best hand. Sure they could show up with a random 6 there or the rare 22, but aside from that i'm not beaten in that spot.

-Andy
Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I played a single hand with Eff_Congress the other day that made me think he's pretty awful (haven't played much if at all with him before). No HH cause i'm at work, but basically:

BB(Me): 99
Random (UTG): A2
Congress (BTN): 88

Raised pot, we all call, Flop:

662 (two spades)

I donk it and they both call. Turn:

Js

I check, random checks and Congress bets pot with his pair of 8s. Not sure what he thinks he's ahead of...

-Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

AK/Q/J/T and a smaller pair?

i mean THIS hand makes you think a guy is terrible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't the preflop raiser and I donk into two people on that board, both of which call. There's no way on earth I have overcards there. The only way I could is if i've got the flush draw, but the turn brings the flush and he bets into two people anyway. It was an atrocious play on his part.

Unless both me and the other guy have either pockets threes, fours, fives or sevens he basically beats nothing.

-Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

you said raised pot and i saw u had 99...i mean sorry [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Yea I understand, but Congress was on the button with 88, so he was naturally the opener. I could have repopped him there, but he's pretty tight and 99 doesn't fare well vs his calling range, so I elected to just call in this instance.

-Andy
Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM

meh I think I play preflop, flop, and turn the same as congress there quite a bit of the time [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 08:22 PM

Really? What do you put me and the other guy on that you beat? Especially after the flush draw completes?

My note on him basically now says he overvalues hands too much, so value bet the crap out of him.

Anyway it wasn't meant to be a strategy post specifically on the hand, but in my mind he played it awfully. He should have been happy to get a free river card.

-Andy

-Andy
Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I understand, but Congress was on the button with 88, so he was naturally the opener. I could have repopped him there, but he's pretty tight and 99 doesn't fare well vs his calling range, so I elected to just call in this instance.

-Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

admittedly i didn't put much thought into the preflop scenario.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Yah I don't mean to be a jerk or nothing, and I think the consensus is def that congress isn't great.

Preflop raising 88 OTB is standard. When you donk out, I'm likely assuming you would have 3bet 99+ (or at least JJ+ for sure) preflop, so I'm not super worried about an overpair. Guy in the middle sounds like a total fish. The flush comes in, you check, and superfish checks (usually big fish just bet when they hit their flush), so this is a good card to bluff on (intending to instamuck if you c/r the turn), and prevent some random spade from coming in.

I dunno, I don't think it's stellar or anything don't get me wrong.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM

andy ... he did make you fold your pair of 9's and the donk in the middle is in fact a donk ... Just saying, you seem like your just pissed you got knocked out of the pot with the best hand
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Betting the turn there with 88 seems pretty bad to me. But then again I have a long list of FT1/2 2+2ers and eff_congress isn't one of them.
Closed Thread