Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: do you think this internet bill will be effective?
yes 32 29.09%
no 51 46.36%
maybe but not sure 27 24.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: *****The Official 2007 J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS THREAD******

[ QUOTE ]
Veecee-
i think alotta people still had hopes for this team to be a playoff team and were hoping for some better play from the defense and running game. If the jets were to have gotten that pennington would be without a doubt the best option to win. However, mangini's stubborness and the defense and running game continual atrocious play have lead people to give up all hope for a postseason. Since clemens is still raw putting him in so early would have been a bad decision, but now at 1-4 and with pennington finally actually playing bad there isnt as much to lose by putting clemens in. You just gave up much faster than everyone else

i compare you to the idiots on the fan 660 am who would call in last year saying that the yankees needed to trade arod after every game that he went 0-4 and the yankees lost

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok this is ridiculous comparing the A-Rod situation to Pennington's situation, and you know that lol.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys, my support for pennington was because i thought he was playing well (high % completion), but yea, his performance was not great last week...

another reason y i wanted chad was because i was still holding out hope for the playoffs and chad is way better suited at leading us there...the season isn't over and some of you are already being realistic and want to test out clemens and i can understand that...

i guess another loss and i'll be on board for it too...

on vilma, first, i don't think they can get a 1st rounder for him, just a guess on my part really...

regardless, i want to keep him, he's talented and the change to the 3-4 really seems to have coincided with his drop off, but again, who knows if/when they'll change the scheme...it's hard to find linebackers with his skills and since the jets will be in the market for another LB in the draft, it seems pointless to trade him and get another one unless we really think he's a fluke...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty good post. There are some things to consider though:

1. Mangini is very stubborn in changing defensive schemes to suit personnel

2. The Jets statistically run the 3-4 the most (I read it in ESPN magazine, I could probably find a link) and Vilma can't be effective in this. He might even be better off playing safety in the 3-4 than ILB. It's hard to find people with his skills but he is a liability in this scheme, and as long as Mangini is here, I don't think he should be.

3. Debatable whether he brings back a 1st rounder, but I think he does. If teams would give up a 1st rounder for John Abraham I'm pretty sure they would do it for JV. Plus he is still very young and has proven to be very effective in the 4-3.

4. If we trade him it's to fill up different holes, not necessarily just a LB. We should give Harris a look at ILB, and Hobson played it in college. I'm not saying that those 2 are the answer to our problems at all but those 2 with a Thomas and someone with the skills of a Suggs or a Lawson would be serviceable. We're going to need a LB, but we need one who can play the 3-4 effectively and Vilma isn't that guy.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 PM

OK guys, I was misinformed. I found a reason that makes sense why we suck, and it doesn't include the words "Chad Pennington".

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary?statsId=20

LOL @ us having the 3rd lowest payroll in the league. And Bryan Thomas being our highest-paid player.

I guess this is what happens when you go cheap in FA by signing guys like David Bowens and Kenyon Coleman.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 PM

Vilma is not a liability. He's not even close to a liability. What's frustrating is that we saw a ton of potential and some nice early success in his career, and the switch to the 3-4 has hurt his development. Also, if you recall the end of the Mo Lewis Marvin Jones years, we needed Vilma in the worst say and he came in and produced. Sadly, he doesn't fit this scheme. He's a FA after next season. Not sure whether we can get a first. I tend to doubt it but I was also shocked we got a first for Abe so who knows. I do doubt it tho. We'd get it from the Chiefs...

[ QUOTE ]
We should give Harris a look at ILB,

[/ QUOTE ]

a look?

Also, I agree that someone with the skills of a Suggs would be desirable. I also think that while we're at it we should look for someone with the skills of a Wilfork and a Hutchinson.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 PM

OK a liability might be stretching it, but his play this year has been abysmal. Missing open-field tackles and getting crushed by guards on run plays. It's pretty much why the run D is so bad, as well as D-Rob not being able to hold the point of contact to save his life.

Re: the Lewis/Jones era, he came in and produced because we were playing the 4-3, which is the main reason why we got rid of Farrior. Obv Vilma looks good and is THE MAN in the 4-3.

Well Suggs is a FA after this season but it's safe to say our chances are nothing-to-close to nothing. Draft Groves or Gholston for the pass rush.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Bro, Vilma has been fine. He isn't what he should be and that's the scheme's fault/coaching. We completely agree. Also, DRob is BY FAR our best dlineman. Watch the game again. Neither are prototypical and I agree that neither fit in this scheme. Again, I hate the scheme too. But, really, watch the game again. Vilma and DRob are far from our biggest defensive problems. I agree with everything you're saying but you're just aping what was said in the offseason.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 AM

suggs would be a great addition to our defense as i love a blitzing LB in a 3-4 and it's almost a must imo...however, getting him will be hard...

another tough spot to fill will be d-rob...a vilfork type player is not coming around often, so it'll be hard to find someone like him in the draft...

correct me if i'm wrong, and i very well migth be, but didn't d-rob play well in the 4-3 when he didn't have to take up 2 guys??
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
suggs would be a great addition to our defense as i love a blitzing LB in a 3-4 and it's almost a must imo...however, getting him will be hard...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's zero chance Baltimore doesn't tag this guy. Its not even worth discussing or thinking about.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM

very true brett, i kinda was thinking the same thing, almost wishful thinking on my part...but that TYPE of player is what we need to look for imo...

3 guys is not enough to put pressure on the QB and i'm guessing most 3-4 schemes have a lot of blitzes for LBs, but maybe our guys are just not those kinds of LBs to blitz...

either way, the LB spot will be addressed early in the draft, whether they trade vilma (i hope not) is another issue...

i don't know how the class for next year looks, but finding an LB is prolly a lot easier than finding a nose, especially since d-rob has shown flashes that he can play effectively, maybe not in the 3-4, but that's another issue as well...
Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM

also, just another thing, i haven't been able to notice this much, are they leaving revis in man coverage with no help, he's young, but man, he looks good already...this run defense is past the point where they can only be affording to play 1 deep cover...

also, this may sound really stupid, but is there any merit to getting another shutdown corner in the draft and putting everyone else in the box to help against the run?? seems bad, just wondering, the run defense blows, but running against a stacked box has to be hard, right??