Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Another question that I think is more difficult. Is there any coorelation between happiness and IQ? What about happiness and Intelligence? I think there isn't much for the former, but there is for the latter, although it depends how you define intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt if there is much coorrelation between happiness and Intelligence, just like there is not much correlation between happiness and money (I mean two middle-class income families)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok one of my personal definitions of intelligence is the ability to be happy. Really for most people the point of life is to be happy, and so if one is unable to fulfill this primary goal, how intelligent can they be? But okay this is just one of the things I use to define the term intelligence and I understand that most people probably feel otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the guy with the 2.0 GPA getting drunk and laid every night by a different chick and loving every second of life and who is therefor very intelligent using your personal definition be much "more intelligent" than the 3.8 GPA bookworm that doesn't go out and has no social life?

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack your well curtains, but terrel- your argument here is just an excuse for your GPA. its completely possible to have a good GPA and still go out and have a social life, get laid a lot and, and enjoy yourself. "but i get drunk a lot and get laid and have fun" is not an excuse for a lower GPA than you're capable of. learn to manage your time better and prioritize better and you can indeed live up to your academic and social potential. i know because i graduated in 3.5 years, was involved in academic extracurriculars, and had as good a social life as anyone i knew in college. also curtains is 100% right that absent other information, the person with the higher GPA would be considered more intelligent.

curtains- VPIP/PFR/ Attempt to steal blinds at 200NL FR?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Another question that I think is more difficult. Is there any coorelation between happiness and IQ? What about happiness and Intelligence? I think there isn't much for the former, but there is for the latter, although it depends how you define intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt if there is much coorrelation between happiness and Intelligence, just like there is not much correlation between happiness and money (I mean two middle-class income families)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok one of my personal definitions of intelligence is the ability to be happy. Really for most people the point of life is to be happy, and so if one is unable to fulfill this primary goal, how intelligent can they be? But okay this is just one of the things I use to define the term intelligence and I understand that most people probably feel otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the guy with the 2.0 GPA getting drunk and laid every night by a different chick and loving every second of life and who is therefor very intelligent using your personal definition be much "more intelligent" than the 3.8 GPA bookworm that doesn't go out and has no social life?

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack your well curtains, but terrel- your argument here is just an excuse for your GPA. its completely possible to have a good GPA and still go out and have a social life, get laid a lot and, and enjoy yourself. "but i get drunk a lot and get laid and have fun" is not an excuse for a lower GPA than you're capable of. learn to manage your time better and prioritize better and you can indeed live up to your academic and social potential. i know because i graduated in 3.5 years, was involved in academic extracurriculars, and had as good a social life as anyone i knew in college. also curtains is 100% right that absent other information, the person with the higher GPA would be considered more intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill give my stats since Feb, since my style of play changed once I got into 6max:

VPIP: 15.1
PFR: 11.0
ASB: 36.3

Before learning 6max my stats were:

VIP: 17.4
PFR: 10.4
ASB: 37.4

I think I tightened up in the SB a bit, limp less, and raise a little bit more.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 AM

I can't even believe what a valuable resource this thread is. I have been kicking myself every day for not taking full advantage of it.

In your blog, you suggest alternate rules to monopoly:
" 1. If you land on a property you can buy it for double the cost. If not, both players auction it off, although the auction price must be AT LEAST the actual price listed on the board.

2. If you are in jail you don't collect rent (seems so stupid to have part of the strategy wanting to stay in jail.)

3. You may only purchase houses on your turn, and cannot purchase more than one per property on a given turn. So if you have the light blues and they are empty, you can only buy one house on each during any given turn. "

Did you realize that the historical significance of being able to collect rent from jail is the fact that Al Capone was able to conduct business from jail and still make more money than the common law abiding citizen? Does this make you reconsider point 2?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't even believe what a valuable resource this thread is. I have been kicking myself every day for not taking full advantage of it.

In your blog, you suggest alternate rules to monopoly:
" 1. If you land on a property you can buy it for double the cost. If not, both players auction it off, although the auction price must be AT LEAST the actual price listed on the board.

2. If you are in jail you don't collect rent (seems so stupid to have part of the strategy wanting to stay in jail.)

3. You may only purchase houses on your turn, and cannot purchase more than one per property on a given turn. So if you have the light blues and they are empty, you can only buy one house on each during any given turn. "

Did you realize that the historical significance of being able to collect rent from jail is the fact that Al Capone was able to conduct business from jail and still make more money than the common law abiding citizen? Does this make you reconsider point 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have since changed the rules a little bit. I don't give a rats ass about historical signifigance, I believe it makes the game signifigantly worse by allowing people to just sit in jail forever, or not want to leave jail because of the huge benefits late in the game. It's kind of boring somehow. That's my personal opinion at least.

I've played quite a bit with these rules, and there is a ton of strategy and it seems that skill is a lot more prevelant, especially since I always win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But okay we have altered the rules a bit, basically there is no minimum bid anymore.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 AM

These are my finish %s after 1k tournies of $33 and $22 (regulars and speeds mixed) in Party Poker.

These were my stats after 2k $11s.

Does it look like I'm doing something wrong in the 22s and 33s? If yes, where should I start looking for the cure?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These are my finish %s after 1k tournies of $33 and $22 (regulars and speeds mixed) in Party Poker.

These were my stats after 2k $11s.

Does it look like I'm doing something wrong in the 22s and 33s? If yes, where should I start looking for the cure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I can't learn much from finish distributions. Mine changed constantly throughout my career. If you are winning money you are doing fine. If your ROI is 10% at any of these levels, you are playing reasonably and might want to try a higher level. Unless you can get a 10% ROI though over many tourneys, don't move up.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. Without writing that long anecdotal post about my life this is a realization I recently came to.
There is a good thread in the El Diablo forum about fear of failure. Basically when you don't try and fail you can blame it on not trying, when you try and fail you realize you might not be as smart/good as you thought you were.

Note the same is probably true in poker except replace effort with running bad.

Obviously if you were only given the GPA of two students you would have to conclude the one with the higher GPA is smarter. Obviously it wouldn't be true in 100% of circumstances, but it would be in greater than 50%.

However I do agree with Lacky that work ethic/motivation is more highly correlated with good grades than intelligence.

I hate when people extrapolate life lessons to poker, but terrell some of the logic you have shown in this thread, has to have negative repercussions on your game.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Hi Curtains,

I assume you play poker for a living or at least for part of your income. Many of us surely have had some thoughts about going pro; playing poker for a living.

From your personal experience, do you see the lack of social interaction as a problem? In a typical office, we interact with our colleagues, bosses, vendors via tea breaks, lunches and sometimes just gossip.

Being a online poker pro player, does it mean you spend hours and hours in front of the screen. Does feelings of isolation or loneliness set in? If so, how do you prevent that from happening?

professor76
Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it that disagreeing with regular posters results in people turning a theoretical disussion into a personal one?

This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with my GPA. I graduated cum laude from a top 15 law school 7 years ago and was dean's list each semester while working 20 hours a week to pay for it, going out twice a week, meeting my now wife, and enjoying every minute of it.

Yeah . . . thanks for the advice on how to manage my time in school.

For the theoretical side, I've said several time that I agree with Curtains that intelligence has an effect on GPA. The disagreement is regarding how large an effect it has.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Curtains,

I assume you play poker for a living or at least for part of your income. Many of us surely have had some thoughts about going pro; playing poker for a living.

From your personal experience, do you see the lack of social interaction as a problem? In a typical office, we interact with our colleagues, bosses, vendors via tea breaks, lunches and sometimes just gossip.

Being a online poker pro player, does it mean you spend hours and hours in front of the screen. Does feelings of isolation or loneliness set in? If so, how do you prevent that from happening?

professor76

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem for me. First of all I try to play at most 3 hours per day, so I have a lot of free time. Second I don't get too lonely in general. But if I ever am feeling lonely for some reason, I'd just make a strong effort to meet people. Right now I spend a good amount of time with my girlfriend, or sometimes my sister who moved here. I see plenty of people, at least given my needs.

It's not like if you are a pro poker player you aren't allowed to go outside and meet people! Since you are online, its very easy to meet people online as well.

Anyway I guess it depends on the person, but this isn't at all a problem for me.