Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Celtics

[ QUOTE ]
it wouldn't kill me if they made this deal, despite my love affair with Al Jefferson. Kevin Garnett in the east immediately gives you a shot at the finals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, on paper it looks pretty good, but who knows. One thing we do know is that if they make the deal, there's no future in Boston. Right now Big Al, Gerald, and Ratliff's contract are a big part of the rebuild for the C's.

If they go, all that is over, and you are forced into winning now. The window would probably only be a year or two, because expecting the big 3 to stay healthy and at the top of their game any longer than that is probably unrealistic.

Just curious, but how long do you guys think KG has left of productive, top 10 basketball left in him? 3 years? 5 years? More than that? Remember, he is 31 already.

So, while I like the look of Rondo/Pierce/KG/Allen/Perk as a starting 5, I'm not confident it's the right thing to do. And even if that team adds some bench depth, stays healthy, and makes it all the way to the Finals, they're still a pretty big dog to the Western Conference team. And we don't even know if the C's are the favorite in the East even with that starting 5.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 AM

mchale is a boston spy in the twolves organization. so not fair. nba is rigged.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 AM

i really think people overvalue the "future" value of a team too much. so when the big 3 get too old, boston will be as bad as... they've been the last few seasons? allen/piece/kg will be very strong for a good few years, but you're afraid that they won't be good enough in 2017?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 AM

Boston with KG = 07-08 Eastern Conference Champs
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 AM

If Ainge makes this trade, then I totally understand why he made the Ray Allen move. Otherwise that move was pointless. As for the future, Ainge has shown that he can draft well.

This new big three makes the Celts serious contenders for probably a 3 or 4 year window. During that period, Ainge must continue to draft well and the Celts can more gradually develope the young talent while contending for the East championship.

After all the years of bad teams, Ainge would be insane to not do this.

Edit: Just thought of this. Before the draft, wasn't Minn asking for Jefferson and the first round draft pick? If that's true Ainge will have basically sweetened the original deal by getting Ray Allen too. Not bad at all.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:57 AM

John Dennis reported on WEEI this morning that this was going to be a done deal in the next 24-48 hours according to inside sources. He said that Garnett, Pierce, and Allen have all talked and signed off on the deal and are very excited about playing together. They interviewed Cedric Maxwell as well on the show and talked about the trade as if it was a certainty. Obviously nothing is a guarantee but it is looking more and more like this might happen.

I like Jefferson a lot but I don't ever see him becoming a superstar player along the likes of a KG. I like this move a lot. If we have to blow it up again in 3 years so be it, it is not like we were going anywhere with the current rebuilding plan as it was.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM

I am not basketball-savvy enough to know if this is good or bad for the Celts. I am KG-savvy enough to know, however, that if this trade happens, I will attend as many games as I can next year.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, but how long do you guys think KG has left of productive, top 10 basketball left in him? 3 years? 5 years? More than that?

[/ QUOTE ]

3 more years of being around a top 5 player, give or take a slot or two. 2 more years past that of top 10-15 player status. Another 2 years of solid twilight years, ala David Robinson.

I know that seems like a lot, given all the NBA mileage he has, but he's a physical freak.

After reading Ser William's post, I'm getting a little scared. Granted part of me loves this move. It would all but force me to move back to boston and attend a bunch of games. But seriously, Al Jefferson has been my favorite player since his rookie year. I'll miss him a lot.

Hopefully this plan includes KG drop kicking Doc straight to a TNT booth.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the future, Ainge has shown that he can draft well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except in the lottery, of course. He's good at finding value late. Part of that is plain luck, too.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might not matter as word is Boston is including some future 1st rounders also.

McHale finally making a deal to warrant his title of best GM in all the land?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might not matter as word is Boston is including some future 1st rounders also.

McHale finally making a deal to warrant his title of best GM in all the land?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Boston makes this deal they won't have a good 1st round pick for the next 3 years anyways.