Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your play with KQo?
Fold 11 36.67%
Call 13 43.33%
Raise 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Ask the 2+2 Ladies Your Questions

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, really dislike 'ma'am.
I have some female friends that hate it when I call them 'girl friends' -- or refer to women as girls. I personally don't have an issue with that at all... puts a little spring in my step!
The term I usually use, that hasn't seemed to offend anyone is 'gal' or gal pals... but my very favorite term for all women is simply - Goddess [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you SeaSiren I like girls too. I refer to all my female friends as "girl friends" or "the girls" Call them "Girly" to their faces.

I agree that women sounds formal but like it better than ladies. Both sound too old. I think I have an aging complex.

Gals sounds like something an old cowboy would say. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My kids friends will initially call me Mrs.______ but I will tell then that I would prefer they call me Wendy.
My kids are to use those tags unless told otherwise.

Curious about what parents think about children's friends referring to them by first names vs Mr./Mrs.?

[/ QUOTE ]

At my kids KinderCare, all of the teachers are "Miss First Name," Like Miss Wendy, or Miss Maria.

I don't know why they went this route, but it seems to balance cordial respect with casualness well, so go with it.

Ray
Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM

Only the Queen gets called 'ma'am' in this country, and even then it's pronounced 'marm'. It's MADAM.

alternatives to ladies/women/girls/females:

gals
dames
birds
dolls (hmmm, lounge-dolls)
lasses
loungettes
babes
some hot spicy meatballs

plz decide girls, and I will refer to you as this forevermore.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My kids friends will initially call me Mrs.______ but I will tell then that I would prefer they call me Wendy.
My kids are to use those tags unless told otherwise.

Curious about what parents think about children's friends referring to them by first names vs Mr./Mrs.?

[/ QUOTE ]

At my kids KinderCare, all of the teachers are "Miss First Name," Like Miss Wendy, or Miss Maria.

I don't know why they went this route, but it seems to balance cordial respect with casualness well, so go with it.

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

I have run into this too. A lot of my girl friends will do this. Miss Wendy...makes me feel very southern belle-ish.

What about you or your wife though?
KinderCare its a little more of a formal setting and the teachers have to be in a position of authority so I think having a tag is essential for that.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:27 PM

I would feel odd doing that as a kid. I think you're thinking of your relationship to them being one that makes you comfortable with their using your first name, but should look at it from their perspective.

To them, you're not "Wendy." Wendy is the little tyke they've got a secret crush on in 3rd grade, or are actively poking in 11th. You are in a whole different world, the adult world. You are no more Wendy, on the informal side, than you are Her Sacred Majesty, on the too-formal side. You fit right where you are, as Mrs. ________. Having to try to sort you out and speak to you differently from all the other Mr. and Mrs. they know would be just odd.

Let them preserve their childhood and clear understanding of what's going on. You and me, we can preserve our oldhood and deal with it on our own time, and stop confusing the young'uns, eh?

That's my take on it anyway. Old girl. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 01:29 PM

You forgot molls, and femme fatales, and dragonladies, not to mention my favorite, she-devils.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You forgot molls, and femme fatales, and dragonladies, not to mention my favorite, she-devils.

[/ QUOTE ]

She-devil works but it depends on my mood. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You also forgot broads.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM

How about Angels?

I like that. I just wish my name was Charlie.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have run into this too. A lot of my girl friends will do this. Miss Wendy...makes me feel very southern belle-ish.

What about you or your wife though?
KinderCare its a little more of a formal setting and the teachers have to be in a position of authority so I think having a tag is essential for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall a kid ever calling me anything other than "mister."

"Hey Mister, can you get the ball for me?"

The Miss First name thing has definitely carried over to non school life for us. At birthday parties and such, my wife is "Miss Kelly" to the kids.

Ray
Old 04-05-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would feel odd doing that as a kid. I think you're thinking of your relationship to them being one that makes you comfortable with their using your first name, but should look at it from their perspective.

To them, you're not "Wendy." Wendy is the little tyke they've got a secret crush on in 3rd grade, or are actively poking in 11th. You are in a whole different world, the adult world. You are no more Wendy, on the informal side, than you are Her Sacred Majesty, on the too-formal side. You fit right where you are, as Mrs. ________. Having to try to sort you out and speak to you differently from all the other Mr. and Mrs. they know would be just odd.

Let them preserve their childhood and clear understanding of what's going on. You and me, we can preserve our oldhood and deal with it on our own time, and stop confusing the young'uns, eh?

That's my take on it anyway. Old girl. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I will remember this when one of those "young'uns" calls me Mrs.___________. I think I will go for the compromise and push for Miss Wendy.

Thanks for your take old man. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]