Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: ***** November LC Thread *****

this is exactly why she hates poker. actually she used to like it and even enjoyed going down to teh wsop with me. hell, she even played cards at the table with me. but it was when i started getting very serious about the game that she started hating it.

On a more positive note, cwar has helped me get over the results over the game and my wife is liking it again because im not results oriented and im not unhappy anymore when I play.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
u will run worse than u ever thought possible. I've been a super profitable player for about 4 yrs now. There have been times when i ran so bad i thought Lee Jones at pokerstars had it out for me and was screwing with my cards. THere have been times when I've shed tears. There have been times when i threw things. There have been times when I've contemplated suicide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but I'm assuming that the flip side must also occasionally be true. I'm just waiting to catch a heater, I suppose. I mean, I decided a few months ago to really take this poker thing seriously - spend time studying and reviewing in order to improve. And while I'm not that good (yet), I'm certainly miles above where I was a couple of months ago. But since a small upswing at the the beginning of that period, it's been a steady, slight decline. I wouldn't mind at least a little bit of positive reinforcement as I'm starting this journey.

[ QUOTE ]
Part of becoming a strong poker player is learning about variance (what is normal, what is abnormal) and embracing it. There are countless steps you can take (which most people don't) to get your variance down as low as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate, I would welcome and appreciate any advice.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:30 AM

One more thing Norman Chad said in WSOP:

The best thing in the world is gambling and winning and the second best thing in the world is gambling and losing. So when you are losing, you do the second best thing in the world. Not bad, right? (he should include having sex somewhere along the way, but you get the point).
Old 11-11-2007, 06:32 AM

you see, having a heater will happen for you BUT these downswings will be very common. actually if you are not having lots of downswings then you are probably playing at stakes lower than where you should be playing. sure, you can grind out 15-30 bucks an hour VERY VERY safely over the long run with no swings and little emotional stress but you are surely stagnating like that and cutting yourself short by doing so.

The thing about poker is taht you shouldnt put yourself in a spot where you NEED to win, because you never will if you NEED to. Play to make good decisions and because you love this game and the results will eventually follow.

Indy
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you see, having a heater will happen for you BUT these downswings will be very common. actually if you are not having lots of downswings then you are probably playing at stakes lower than where you should be playing. sure, you can grind out 15-30 bucks an hour VERY VERY safely over the long run with no swings and little emotional stress but you are surely stagnating like that and cutting yourself short by doing so.

The thing about poker is taht you shouldnt put yourself in a spot where you NEED to win, because you never will if you NEED to. Play to make good decisions and because you love this game and the results will eventually follow.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums me up currently. I'm playing the 33's (usually 2-tabling now) with a 18% ROI(+/- 1-2%). I've played higher levels over large sample sizes (55's/110's/occasional shots at 220's), but I'm not able to handle the swings yet. At the 110's I had something like a 4-5% roi, which was significantly hurt by several massive stretches of tilt.

I'm satisfied grinding out a steady profit with a solid hourly rate for the time being. I have student loans that need to be paid off and a little credit card debt. I feel like I will be ready to move up levels when I'm debt free and won't sweat the swings quite as much because of that.

I'm just worried that my game is falling into a stagant period, like you said. I've been posting a lot more, which forces me to think about the game, but 99% of my games aren't a significant challenge to me.

Do you think staying at the 33's for a few more months will have an adverse effect on my game overall??? Or am i just leaving money on the table basically???
Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 AM

i was in your spot a year ago. i got into a staking deal with cwar and he helped me grow out of this and now i play the 115s and 220s, and not to brag or anything but im likely the best 115er on full tilt.

as for your situation, you should talk with better players and try to get some help because if u can beat the 33s at that clip, you can beat the 115s easy. I understand your conservative nature, but you are leaving huge $ on the table bro.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:51 AM

by the way, did anybody notice that The Grinder just took genius 28 for a ton of $?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way, did anybody notice that The Grinder just took genius 28 for a ton of $?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Details?

Genius was up like $100k on PA today.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was in your spot a year ago. i got into a staking deal with cwar and he helped me grow out of this and now i play the 115s and 220s, and not to brag or anything but im likely the best 115er on full tilt.

as for your situation, you should talk with better players and try to get some help because if u can beat the 33s at that clip, you can beat the 115s easy. I understand your conservative nature, but you are leaving huge $ on the table bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply

not to brag, but im probably the best 33er on stars (lol hudge brag)
Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Details?

Genius was up like $100k on PA today.

[/ QUOTE ]

sharkscope genius28 on stars....grinder beat him like 8 in a row. i mean is mizrachi that [censored] good?