Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcal

NT,

What to do if we find out that the allegations of audio recording turn out to be true? I know Pat Nation blames this entire thing on Mangini, but let's be honest here, that's the easy way.

For the record, I have said that I highly doubt the audio thing is true, but if it is...wow. Also, if the edge gained from the taping is negligible or even nonexistent, why does everybody do it? And even more so, why was the "best coach in the business" ordering it? Should he really need to so blatantly break such a serious rule for no benefit?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 AM

from all that has been said, yes i think belichick was pretty dumb for doing this. i think he was under the impression that he was being cute or finding a loophole or something, and he got nailed. or perhaps having the cameraman is just another way that he was messing with opponents' heads. whatever the reason was, yes, it was very stupid.

the reason i think the edge gained is virtually nonexistent is that one can just as easily have a few scouts monitor defensive signals and record them from the stands, or from a box somewhere, or off other game tape in some cases. the edge comes from it being easier to go back and look at a video tape than having three or four guys jotting down what a coach is doing every down, but other than that, i don't see the point. that's why i think it's pretty dumb to get nailed for this, and it leads me to believe that it was such a longstanding practice that the only reason they got whacked was because mangini complained about it.

the green bay guys said there was basically a code of silence about this type of thing and i believe it. if there's a code of silence it means everyone (or almost everyone) is doing it to some degree and everyone agrees it's in their best interests to keep it quiet (which it certainly is, and that's why it has been played this way in the media).

regarding the audio thing, i think that's pretty laughable that the jets turned in one of our alleged cameramen but left a second one alone while he continued recording, which is what the NBC report implies. but if it is true, that pats wouldn't even be the first team to be accused of it this year, and it wouldn't really change my opinion of the whole situation.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT,

What to do if we find out that the allegations of audio recording turn out to be true? I know Pat Nation blames this entire thing on Mangini, but let's be honest here, that's the easy way.

For the record, I have said that I highly doubt the audio thing is true, but if it is...wow. Also, if the edge gained from the taping is negligible or even nonexistent, why does everybody do it? And even more so, why was the "best coach in the business" ordering it? Should he really need to so blatantly break such a serious rule for no benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not be surprised if it is true given Charlie Casserly who was on the competition has already said this is a common practice among teams.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm so tired about hearing how every other team does it.. there is probably more than just the Pats, yes.. but its inappropriate to assume every team is doing it. And even if they are it doesn't make it any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

people keep bringing it up b/c posters like DesertCat keep saying things like "Charlie Weis had an edge that no other offensive coordinator had".

look, we know the Pats cheated...but if you think this makes them unique, then lol
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm so tired about hearing how every other team does it.. there is probably more than just the Pats, yes.. but its inappropriate to assume every team is doing it. And even if they are it doesn't make it any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

people keep bringing it up b/c posters like DesertCat keep saying things like "Charlie Weis had an edge that no other offensive coordinator had".

look, we know the Pats cheated...but if you think this makes them unique, then lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Charlie Weis thing is mostly joking about how terrible Notre Dame is

3games 0 offensive TDs around 100yds a game offense, negative rushing yards

its pretty amusing how terrible ND's offense is, the "offensive" guru head coach sucking, and then this cheating thing comes out which he has ties to
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 AM

they broke the rules but it means little when every other team in the league does it too. IF you think BB is the only one you are playing stupid . Everyone already hates the pats and the media clearly hates BB, so this does not help the poor bastard.

I wouldn't have such a problem with it but Roger Goodell is clearly biased.

In 2006 the dolphins crushed the pats and after the game Zach Thomas admitted that they knew all the pats audibles and that they have PURCHASED a tape that helped them learn the audibles. Also, they supposedly miked up their defensive players to help th em figure this all out.
AFter this game, there was no uproar, nobody cared.

Also, yesterday on the fox pregame show, Jimmy johnson admitted to doing videotaping and being taught how to do this 20 years ago in Kansas City.

So if that is cheating, than everyone cheats.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 AM

As a Steelers fan first, Pats fan second, I'd love to jump on the Pats and have my first excuse to hate them in these past few years. But as it's been repeatedly stated, more teams than the Pats have been doing this. That's the bottom line. No team is almighty, and nobody should be saying that "my team would never do this!" because you don't know.

Every team's fanbase is going to have stupid fans. In the pats case, it's the ones who think BB is an infailable god, and therefore try to blame his recent faults on Mangini or others. Who cares what the idiots say?

As for the punishment being too leinant, give me a break. This is the harshest ever laid down. Even if BB had been suspended, he would have missed the Buffalo and Cleveland games. Do you think that the team might have squeaked by those two without him? I do.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 AM

What I got out of Goodell's interview with Costas was that he wants to put a stop to this practice and the penalty he issued against the Patriots is really meant for all 32 teams as a deterrent. As a said earler, this was a layup for him as he had the perfect team to make an example of.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I got out of Goodell's interview with Costas was that he wants to put a stop to this practice and the penalty he issued against the Patriots is really meant for all 32 teams as a deterrent. As a said earler, this was a layup for him as he had the perfect team to make an example of.

[/ QUOTE ]

well the dolphins need to have a number 1 taken away as well.

And maybe they should give the Cowboys penalties or pull their players out of the hall of fame since Jimmy Johnson admitted to using the same tactics.

the whole thing is a b.s. witch hunt. Punish every team or don't enforce the "rule"
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well the dolphins need to have a number 1 taken away as well.

And maybe they should give the Cowboys penalties or pull their players out of the hall of fame since Jimmy Johnson admitted to using the same tactics.

the whole thing is a b.s. witch hunt. Punish every team or don't enforce the "rule"

[/ QUOTE ]

He could investigate every team and punish them all and create a league wide scandal. Or he could punish the hell out of one team and make sure everyone knows the free-ride is over and people are generally unaware of how deep this stuff goes. One option makes his league look [censored], the other option keeps the name clean. It's a pretty obvious choice for him.