Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I smoke weed
Agree 15 46.88%
Disagree 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap

Do you know how many good teams are going to miss the playoffs under your system? More good teams that missed the playoffs without baseball's wild card. And the NBA loses a ton of revenue and fans lose interest and all that unfun stuff.

I wouldn't want the best players in professional basketball having to go all out for 82 games just to squeak into the playoffs. That will surely up the risk of injuries and lower the quality of play in the playoffs as a result. The regular season as a whole is plenty important now; how many four seeds or lower do you see make the playoffs? Home court advantage is a huge deal, and the lower the seed = the more ridiculous a playoff bracket you have to go through to make the finals, the way it should be. (Well, most times. Just get rid of this division [censored] and it'd be like that all the time.)

A three-game series in the playoffs = lucksack all day long. I want a system that NEVER has the inferior team winning, at least as close to that nirvana as possible. Nevermind that that's even less playoff games, which is horrible for seemingly obvious reasons.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM

you know i guess it is basketball and homecourt is a big enough edge... I don't like 8 teams tho, I would rather have a more meaningful regular season, like baseball

this system would work well for baseball btw... yankees indians 3 game series to see who gets the wild card [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyway I understand your points, good argument... i don't mind seeing the underdog win tho, as long as they play better... this is basketball, theres not a HUGE amount of variance... if one team wins a series, they usually have earned it
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ya.. can't have to much time off for the 1 2 and 3 seeds... but it does give them some time to rest

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be going out on a limb here, but I'd say your new system is infinitely worse than the current one.

[/ QUOTE ]

vyse is by far my least favorite SE poster but he's dead right here...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM

In a seven-game series, no, there's not a ton of variance. In a three-game series though, we're talking less than half the games in a seven-game series. T-Mac would be out of the first round, the Lakers would've never pushed it to seven games, etc. etc.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM

lakers pushed it to seven games? t'mac would play against the jazz still but 3 game series....
Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 PM

I wasn't talking about this season. T-Mac v Pistons, Lakers v Suns.