Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: What\'d You Shoot Today? (Golf BBV Thread)

Triple,

OK you proved me wrong...

Generally as oT said, we treat it as a hazard. A couple of times on the front nine I hit balls into the desert, and just dropped a ball where it crossed over. It's generally a local rule that most courses put on the scorecard to keep play moving - if everyone really played stroke + distance on desert courses there would be six hour rounds.

This rule has the potential to get tricky when you hit it into the desert but close to someone's house, because we definitely enforce stroke + distance on shots hit OB. Luckily this doesn't happen very often.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 PM

52 + 52 = 104. Played most of it in the rain. Took a nice long break halfway to watch the PGA championship when it was raining harder.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Triple,

OK you proved me wrong...

Generally as oT said, we treat it as a hazard. A couple of times on the front nine I hit balls into the desert, and just dropped a ball where it crossed over. It's generally a local rule that most courses put on the scorecard to keep play moving - if everyone really played stroke + distance on desert courses there would be six hour rounds.

This rule has the potential to get tricky when you hit it into the desert but close to someone's house, because we definitely enforce stroke + distance on shots hit OB. Luckily this doesn't happen very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you look for the ball and consider playing it from the hazard? Or are you generally better off just taking a drop? Or are there little creatures in the scrub that will send you to the ER like recluse spiders, rattlesnakes and box jellyfish(that have adapted to land, of course)?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So do you look for the ball and consider playing it from the hazard? Or are you generally better off just taking a drop? Or are there little creatures in the scrub that will send you to the ER like recluse spiders, rattlesnakes and box jellyfish(that have adapted to land, of course)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh no, we definitely look. I have a pretty good eye for watching the ball into the sh*t. The chances of finding your ball depends on the nature of the desert. Some courses have a lot of semi-manicured, more barren desert areas, some are completely untamed. I'd say you will find a playable shot about 25% of the time, but a higher percentage you will find it, but it won't be playable.

Remarkably, for all the desert golf I've played and all the desert floors I've stomped around on, I've only ever seen one rattlesnake, and that one was actually on a teebox. I think I've just been really lucky.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We played Coyote Moon in Truckee on Sunday...

[/ QUOTE ]

Par 3 13th, 206 from the blues, google earth has it at a 100' drop.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 AM

Wow. What is the club drop there? I'm thinking hit it about 140? I've never played with a tee that elevated.

I keep laughing at these courses. I was talking to a guy on Saturday who was starting to be driven insane about the "target golf" around here (Northeastern PA). He was a 7 and now is playing to a 10-11 because he has all kinds of problems with the small greens and tight doglegs. I have no idea how I would handle a wide open 7200 yard course.

The Nationwide tour came through town this week. Northeast PA Classic

Slight Brag: I shot a 90 here on the media day.

Beat: was 6 over when I came to the 14th and snap hooked back to back drivers into the woods. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] took a 10. Then alternated par bogey in and three putted from 4 feet on 18 for bogey.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. What is the club drop there? I'm thinking hit it about 140? I've never played with a tee that elevated.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also at elevation (> 5000') so I think the right distance was about 160. I'm a pretty short hitter, so would take a 5I into a 170 yd hole at sea level and expect to be below the hole. Here, I hit a 5I and it went way over. I would have felt like an idiot teeing up a 6I from outside of 200 yds, but that was probably the right club for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Wow, that Truckee hole must be incredibly difficult if a wind gets whipping through that canyon, even more so because the green isn't very deep at all.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:33 PM

That's the type of hole I [censored] hate if I'm new to a course.
You got a good round going, then you come to some tricked out joke of a par 3 with that elevation drop.
Keep it.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM

I Google Mapped the Truckee course to see WTF was going on and it doesn't look like the course has a driving range! Huge foul.