Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

steve, I don't know whether you are a bowie fan or not but I'm quite sure you would know the album Ziggy Stardust. The production on that album was always funny to me when I wasn't caught up in how brilliant the songs were..it sounds tinny, extreme reverb, and not at all matching the in-your-face tone that his live shows took in that era. Even the heavier parts/songs still sound removed (the only exception being Ronson's outro in moonage daydream). Do you think this was intentional as far as making this music sound outter-space prophet style and beginning the fiction of the persona, or just more unintentional factors. I mean bowie sounds like he's singing off the top of a mountain a lot of the time. Wondering if that was ever a point of intrigue for you and any comments you might have as a man of experience.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it true that you hate touring Germany?
If so, why? If not, how come you´re here so rarely? And: Would you consider coming anyway (please!)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum
Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um.. Not really. What I'm saying is that a better way to utilize your gift of being able to analyse very complicated concepts is to get into economy. In such field, you could actually cause some damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong forum.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said that at some point music will exist as an embodiment of the scene it originated from. Managers and contracts and even recording techniques will have been part of its set of influences when the sound triggers the personal feelings and ignites, as you said: "everything I think about." Considering all those other things is just an inseparable part of the music isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I fat? Please explain in strangely arousing Turkish accent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha-ha laugh at foreign girl. English. Funny. Sports.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now speaking to the man himself, is this mystery technique something you'd be willing to expand upon a little bit? Does it involve a multitude of intricately arranged microphones or something along those lines?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no secrets in the studio. Everything I do is either learned from someone else, in the prior published literature or figured-out from core principles known to pretty much everybody in the game.

In the case of Joanna Newsom's harp, I used close mics, a mono area mic and an ambient mic.

The close mics were four Crown GLM100s attached to the the body of the resonator box, evenly spaced along the length of the harp. I needed four to get even coverage without hot spots, and these mics are small and light enough that they wouldn't interfere with the sound or playing. Taped in place with a little square of gaffer tape, they didn't need stands or other hardware. These mics were recorded discretely (one to a tape track) but could easily have been sub-mixed to stereo.

The area mic was either a Sony C500 or a Neumann U47. We tried both, and I don't recall which was eventually chosen. It was about head-high and about a yard away, directly in front of the harp.

We tried a C24 stereo mic in that position (or a Neumann SM2, I don't remember) but I don't think those survived the audition.

The ambient mic was an AKG C12A in omni, resting on the floor as a boundary mic about 12 feet away in a hard-sided room.

That's it.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you find Jimmy Carr funny?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb87oedXV-4

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong forum. And no, not really.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
steve, I don't know whether you are a bowie fan or not but I'm quite sure you would know the album Ziggy Stardust. The production on that album was always funny to me when I wasn't caught up in how brilliant the songs were..it sounds tinny, extreme reverb, and not at all matching the in-your-face tone that his live shows took in that era. Even the heavier parts/songs still sound removed (the only exception being Ronson's outro in moonage daydream). Do you think this was intentional as far as making this music sound outter-space prophet style and beginning the fiction of the persona, or just more unintentional factors. I mean bowie sounds like he's singing off the top of a mountain a lot of the time. Wondering if that was ever a point of intrigue for you and any comments you might have as a man of experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cocaine makes you want to hear things extra-bright. One client of mine even described a particularly nasal vocal effect as being exactly "like when you shoot coke and get a ringer (whining tinnitus) and it sounds like you're in a tube..."

Other than that, I haven't really thought about it. I was never much of a Bowie fan, and I haven't spent a lot of time listening to his music in detail.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said that at some point music will exist as an embodiment of the scene it originated from. Managers and contracts and even recording techniques will have been part of its set of influences when the sound triggers the personal feelings and ignites, as you said: "everything I think about." Considering all those other things is just an inseparable part of the music isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, that's your method, slightly different than mine. Is it possible then, to like a band you don't know anything about? Also, isn't the term "I pity you" reserved for cartoons and soap operas these days?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Steve,

A few years back, I picked up a cd by a band called Technician. I believe (if I remember correctly) that it was produced by Bob Weston. Did you have anything to do with that recording? It sounded very similar to Shellac.

Also, did you actually get a $million$ for recording Bush? I heard you did (obviously).