Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: ~~~Unofficial Baseball Offseason Thread~~~

The Cubs get Lilly. rosenthal breaks the news
Old 12-06-2006, 09:07 PM

I'm a die-hard Jays fan and this affects me less than the since-aborted news Zaun wouldn't be back. Another coup for the Cubs:P
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Milledge was very unimpressive during the time he was brought up this season. Many within the Mets think his stock has fallen a bit, which is why he went from untouchable last season to seemingly tradeable now. You don't give up a proven ace signed the next couple of seasons at cheap dollars for that and a pitcher who has pitched good (not spectacular)in the NL

[/ QUOTE ] 1. Maybe you do if that ace has pitched 175 innings in the past two seasons total, and have reason to believe this trend will continue. Harden's 1/3 of an ace, not an ace.

2. Milldege was a 21 year old center fielder playing in the big leagues in Shea stadium. Most of today's up the middle stars couldn't have hit that well in a AA pitcher's park at age 21.

3. The Mets will throw in more than this to get Harden anyway. They are a team that is myopic and will overpay for the here and now with prospects.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow. i think you are way exagerating. 2005 was an AWESOME year. The rest of the time he was slightly above average and/or hurt. So to call him one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball when he has had only one great year is quite a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ] Well, yeah, that's simply my view on the matter. His peripherals, stuff, and control all suggest that he is for real when healthy. Besides, the exaggeration really drove home my point in that post: Don't get attached to players.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a die-hard Jays fan and this affects me less than the since-aborted news Zaun wouldn't be back. Another coup for the Cubs:P

[/ QUOTE ] I never thought that a Ted Lilly signing would make me so happy; the Cubs clearly are the favorites in the NL central now. A healthy Lee + Soriano + Lilly + anything out of Wood and Prior (they were literally zeros last year) + no Cedeno + a full year of Hill + no John Mabry + no Dusty Baker + the Cardinals are the same .500 team as last year + the Astros are way worse if Clemens doesn't come back, slightly worse otherwise. And the Cubs aren't even done yet...
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Also, apparently the Cubs GM, Jim Hendry was taken to the hospital for exhaustion. working too hard will do that to ya
Old 12-06-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Milldege was a 21 year old center fielder playing in the big leagues in Shea stadium. Most of today's up the middle stars couldn't have hit that well in a AA pitcher's park at age 21.

[/ QUOTE ]

Milledge really pissed me off this year with his antics. And he was playing a corner outfield spot, and I think he was also playing that in Norfolk. I understand that his age his definitely huge considering how much upside he could have. He also has speed that is equivalent to Carlos Beltran.

But, I wish the Mets got rid of him at the deadline when his value was at its highest. Once he got out on the field his valued diminished some. I really would be happy for the Mets to get a nice young starter in Harden. Under Peterson who knows what he could do.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Milledge was only playing a corner because CF is going to be occupied for a long time in Shea Stadium...

Anyway, all of this a mute point because their is no way that Beane will do the proposed deal; he can get more for Harden I'm sure...If Harden goes to the Mets it will be for Heilman, Milledge AND Humber; no less.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Steve Phillips is one of the dumber men in baseball, but I have to assume he still has some connections in the Mets organization. He said here that:

"The Mets are interested in an A's starter, but it's not Rich Harden. Outfielder Lastings Milledge is the bait."

Sounds like Milledge for Blanton might be back on.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM

Blanton or Haren may be more likely, but I'm about as sure as I can be on a matter like this that Harden to the Mets is being discussed.