Herbal Tea 2 4.65%
Tea (milk..) 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Q

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bears had a great run. I am sad to see it end in such a way but the Colts were a better team and it had to go down like that. There is a lot to look forward to next year. I just hope for another good draft class and improvement from rex grossman.

[/ QUOTE ]

how the hell can you want anything from grossman other than a view of his backside as he leaves town? his performance today was hideous and its not like some isolated game either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched the whole season. He has talent. He'll probably get better as a QB. He showed improvement. Best QB to play here in a decade. Should I continue?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, continue with what? you act like you just showed me a great case for grossman remaning the starter.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bears had a great run. I am sad to see it end in such a way but the Colts were a better team and it had to go down like that. There is a lot to look forward to next year. I just hope for another good draft class and improvement from rex grossman.

[/ QUOTE ]

how the hell can you want anything from grossman other than a view of his backside as he leaves town? his performance today was hideous and its not like some isolated game either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched the whole season. He has talent. He'll probably get better as a QB. He showed improvement. Best QB to play here in a decade. Should I continue?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, continue with what? you act like you just showed me a great case for grossman remaning the starter.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol you act like it would be a sweet idea to get rid of him
Old 02-05-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

How do you guys feel about Rex as this team heads into the off season? We all know that I personally stand by him and trust that he will improve and become a better QB next year. I understand that he has played poorly at times during the season, but am I insane for believing that he is the type of QB who can play at a high level constantly? I argue with a lot of Rex haters and I trust the opinions of a lot of people on this forum. I just too see what everyone else thinks this guy is capable of.

[/ QUOTE ]

comments from just a casual Bears observer:

Rex (and I guess the Bears) seemed to go with a 'chuck and duck' strategy. IE throw deep and hope good things happen. this doesn't seem like a recipe for long term success, more like one that can run real hot or real cold, which is just what we saw this season.

do you have evidence or reason to believe in the contrary?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

How do you guys feel about Rex as this team heads into the off season? We all know that I personally stand by him and trust that he will improve and become a better QB next year. I understand that he has played poorly at times during the season, but am I insane for believing that he is the type of QB who can play at a high level constantly? I argue with a lot of Rex haters and I trust the opinions of a lot of people on this forum. I just too see what everyone else thinks this guy is capable of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rex (and I guess the Bears) seemed to go with a 'chuck and duck' strategy. IE throw deep and hope good things happen. this doesn't seem like a recipe for long term success, more like one that can run real hot or real cold, which is just what we saw this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this really a bad thing given the offensive talent? The bears wr's are not good at precision route running, nor is rex very good at precision passing. Seems to fit what strengths the passing offense has.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your throwing a good deep ball and the strength of your team is the offensive line I can't see how it won't help. It doesn't fit in with the current mold of >60% passers are usless, but if they throw 3-6 balls deep per game you better believe the defense will be keeping safeties deep and not in run support. I think you are right that he throws a few too many balls into coverage deep.

Being a little more consistent on medium throws and more than one reciever who gets some seperation would also help.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Grossman's 2006 passer rating was 73.9, the leaguewide average was 76.2. He's the best quarterback we've seen in a long time, but he was still below average.

The rating doesn't include stats like fumbles (7 in the regular season, which I'd guess is high among QBs) and huge errors like pick sixes (no idea but he'd have to be high in the running).

The fact is this: Rex grew a lot as a QB in terms of making better decisions over this season. Arizona was full of terrible decision making on Grossman's part. But later in the year, he started making better decicions. A lot of people jumped down his throat for throwing the game-ending pick against NE, but that was a perfect read. Berriam had a step in man coverage. We didn't have to go that far downfield, but it was still the right read.

Too bad the throw was [censored]. I said earlier in the season that Rex wasn't a fundamentally sound QB, and that he couldn't fix that this year. Changing QB fundamentals isn't an overnight process. You can learn to make better reads relatively quickly but unlearning and relearning how to throw the ball isn't as quick. I still feel we should've switched to Griese around week 14 for the same reasons Denver switched to Cutler. I feel that Griese gave us the best chance of winning the Superbowl this year.

But that's not to say that Rex can't fix his technique issues by week 1 next year. I hope he can.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this really a bad thing given the offensive talent? The bears wr's are not good at precision route running, nor is rex very good at precision passing. Seems to fit what strengths the passing offense has.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you, but what was the last team that won with this strategy?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM

Grossman had 20 INTs and 5 Fumbles Lost (9 fumbles). That's 25 TOs. Of that 21 were after week 5. 21 TOs in 11 games in the regular season is pretty high. Peyton who is probally the best in the league at avoiding TOs only had 9 INTs and 0 fumbles lost this season.

Additionally in the POs he had 3 INTs and some fumbles. Honestly most teams would rather have a QB who passes less but makes a lot less dumb moves. In the 5 3+ INT games he had this season, the team was 2-3. In the ones where he had 2 or less they were 11-0. Obviously the Bears when fully healthy don't need an air it out, TO happy QB to win. They just need a guy like Trent Dilfer who manages the game well.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you, but what was the last team that won with this strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno that anyone has, but I don't see a better idea for the current offensive talent. I imagine the deep ball + good ground game is about as good of a balancing combo as the bears will have for the near future.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meet Ron Turner's play calling

It worked great for one year at Illinois when they had Brandon Lloyd, Walter Young, Aaron Morehead, and Greg Lewis as receivers.