Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your play with KQo?
Fold 11 36.67%
Call 13 43.33%
Raise 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Ask the 2+2 Ladies Your Questions

I always think it's weird when I hear young people using the words sir and ma'am. It sounds kind of phony, like they're putting on a show for their parents. I sometimes hear this with really religious families and people from Kentucky.

There's a guy in my office who always addresses us girls as "Ladies -" maybe that's why I used it in my post. don't know. It does sound old. It sounds old and comical to me. "Women" sounds sort of formal and serious. I don't really like my choices.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LoL @ Mrs. Utah's comments. I call people sir and ma'am all the time thinking it conveys a respect that is rare in the youth of America.

It was apparently the #1 thing my ex's parents disliked about me. They thought I was a disrespectful smartass for calling them sir and ma'am. I didn't find this out until after we broke up, of course.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Grrrrr.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling someone sir and ma'am is respectful but I would reserve it for the over 60 crowd.
I am not there yet...not even close...really! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never understood this either. I was always raised that it was a term of respect. My wife is like Mrs. Utah though, and hates it if the poor bagger boy calls her Ma'am.

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray,
It is a term of respect for someone who I would consider elderly.
I also hate to be called Mrs._______. Just call me by my first name(I am okay with Mrs. Utah [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Mrs._______ is my mother in law.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Yeah, really dislike 'ma'am.
I have some female friends that hate it when I call them 'girl friends' -- or refer to women as girls. I personally don't have an issue with that at all... puts a little spring in my step!
The term I usually use, that hasn't seemed to offend anyone is 'gal' or gal pals... but my very favorite term for all women is simply - Goddess [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This will come in handy Saturday. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Cardo,

You owe Katy an apology.

If anyone has displayed a lack of understanding it's you.

Condescension is a huge turn off.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM

I use sir or ma'am for strangers like "Excuse me sir (ma'am), but do you know the time?" I might say "Excuse me miss..."

I use sir or ma'am for respect as well. Maybe I watch too much West Wing.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LoL @ Mrs. Utah's comments. I call people sir and ma'am all the time thinking it conveys a respect that is rare in the youth of America.

It was apparently the #1 thing my ex's parents disliked about me. They thought I was a disrespectful smartass for calling them sir and ma'am. I didn't find this out until after we broke up, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling someone sir and ma'am is respectful but I would reserve it for the over 60 crowd.
I am not there yet...not even close...really! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never understood this either. I was always raised that it was a term of respect. My wife is like Mrs. Utah though, and hates it if the poor bagger boy calls her Ma'am.

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Going over to eat at friends' houses when their parents were there, I'd always say please pass this, or thank you when handed it, or whatever. They would tell me, Oh, you don't have to always do that. And I'd say, it's just the way I was raised. It's not even conscious on my part.

I think it's less common these days, but it's not wacky and certainly not disrespectful. Unless maybe you do it with an ironic sneer or something!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always think it's weird when I hear young people using the words sir and ma'am. It sounds kind of phony, like they're putting on a show for their parents. I sometimes hear this with really religious families and people from Kentucky.

There's a guy in my office who always addresses us girls as "Ladies -" maybe that's why I used it in my post. don't know. It does sound old. It sounds old and comical to me. "Women" sounds sort of formal and serious. I don't really like my choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies sounds a little formal, but that gives it a bit of a comical note in a forum, which I like a bit. It does make me feel like an old-timey cowboy, who has mostly been kissing his horse and hasn't seen a woman in two or three years, mortified to realize he has a hat on his head in the presence of such rare, holy, and exotic creatures.

"Women" sounds a little biological sometimes, like it's just been proven with gloves on during a digital exam.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have some female friends that hate it when I call them 'girl friends' -- or refer to women as girls. I personally don't have an issue with that at all... puts a little spring in my step!
The term I usually use, that hasn't seemed to offend anyone is 'gal' or gal pals... but my very favorite term for all women is simply - Goddess [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the fun of using "girl" once in a while. Women who no longer accept the fact of the girl in them seems to me as sad an idea as man completely vanquished of the boy.

No sign of disrespect. I actually LIKE the girl in women and the boy in men. It's some of the anarchic, unchangeably free and honest spirit that as adults we perfect ways to hide and deny. Or, uh, something.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Going over to eat at friends' houses when their parents were there, I'd always say please pass this, or thank you when handed it, or whatever. They would tell me, Oh, you don't have to always do that. And I'd say, it's just the way I was raised. It's not even conscious on my part.

I think it's less common these days, but it's not wacky and certainly not disrespectful. Unless maybe you do it with an ironic sneer or something!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not wacky at all. Its politeness. Pleases and thank yous always. Also its nice when someone holds a door open and I certainly will hold the door for others.
I am constantly reinforcing this with my kids, I was raised this way and expect the same of them.

I guess I do not like the tags if you will. Just say "excuse me" vs "excuse me ma'am"

My kids friends will initially call me Mrs.______ but I will tell then that I would prefer they call me Wendy.
My kids are to use those tags unless told otherwise.

Curious about what parents think about children's friends referring to them by first names vs Mr./Mrs.?