Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

[ QUOTE ]

KDawg, this probably ends ManU's title defence. Pretty astounding to only have 2 point out of 9 to start the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, this is a pretty dumb thing to say. we're only 3 games into the season, it's near impossible to determine all that much from teh first three games
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM

2 points from 9, all from winnable games. This is very reminiscent of Arsenal last year. I am not trying to be mean at all. Where the hell are the goals going to come from? I think you would agree that Ronaldo was the catalyst for nearly everything offensive last year. If ManU can get at least 3 points from the 3 games he misses, they should be happy.

BTW, I saw the highlights and I have to say, reminded me so much of an Arsenal game last year. Amazing you didn't score against Schmeichel, who just looks clueless out there. I think Arsenal will pwn the [censored] out of them next weekend.

Rover, the ranking for which team had the biggest group of [censored] was:
1. Bolton
2. West Ham
3. Blackburn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...4/ufnsta14.xml
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM

Fortunaly I overslept Liverpool vs Chelsea. Because otherwise I would still be pissed.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:03 PM

TSC, interesting link. Not surprised to see Bolton up there either. Nice to see all the American goalkeepers pwning with good save % after facing a ton of shots, plus Howard with the 2nd best save % behind Cech and making over twice as many saves. And lol @ Savage making the top 20 disciplinary point thingy despite playing in five less matches than the next lowest on the list (Ballack).
Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM

I suppose Savage is the cliche player, love him if he's on your team, right?

Not surprised by Bolton either. Big Sam is probably the biggest bitch manager in the league.

West Ham is surprising. I believe Reo-Coker led the league in yellow cards last year.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 AM

Ronaldo isn't just the only guy who can score goals. There is the obvious one with Tevez, and of course, Scholes can certainly score. Nani has also looked very dangerous in his play. Is it fun that this is happening at the begining of this season, hell no, but already this is the typical ebb and flow of a 9 month season and this type of stuff will happen. It will happen to chelsea, livercrap, and Aresenal. It's impossible to interpret what is going to happen by the end of the season right now. Championships aren't won in august. Since I've been following the prem, there have been several times where clubs have gotten off to big starts and have faded into obscurity. I can think of one year when Villa topped the table after 11 games, and by the end of that season they were around 8th. Charlton had also done something similar at one point and ended up around 11th or so. I'll be a lot more worried if ManU is sitting in 8th or so by christmas
Old 08-20-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watched Liverpool - Chelsea today. It was a good match and too bad the bad penalty was so decisive.

Both Torres and Babel looked excellent for Liverpool, although Torres fell off significantly in the second half when they went defensive.

In general I thought the style of both teams was better than last year. Both play too much long ball for my liking, but otherwise it was a nice match to watch. Obviously being tired was a factor today but both today and in the past Liverpool play such nicer football with Crouch out of the lineup. They seem to shift to more of a "send the long ball in the air to Crouchie" mode.

I have to say that for Chelsea if they had someone like Alves who can make run after run down the wing, they would be a much better side. Their attack is a bit like I described Liverpool's with Crouch, and they can be one dimensional. They have the defensive midfielders to give him cover as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

while i agree that aesthetically liverpool are better without crouch, they seem to be a whole lot more effective at actually scoring goals with him in the match.

and chelsea would be phenominal with an attacking back like alves pairing up with a SWP who seems to be finally demonstrating the potential of a few years ago. with two rocks in the back in the form of terry and carvalho, alves and cole could afford to go on walkabout putting opposing teams very much on the defensive.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I've been following the prem, there have been several times where clubs have gotten off to big starts and have faded into obscurity. I can think of one year when Villa topped the table after 11 games, and by the end of that season they were around 8th. Charlton had also done something similar at one point and ended up around 11th or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That these clubs started well and droped off is irrelevant, as they were always going to drop points. It is a when not if issue.

With the biggest 2/3 clubs it is an if not when issue. For example Arse went a whole season unbeaten. The fact that Man U have already dropped 7 out of 9 points is massive. It means they already are in a position where anymore slip ups could cost them a realistic chance of the title. They are already out of wiggle room. Why do you think last season Sir Alex made a massive deal out of getting a good start. The previous seasons they had been very strong from mid to late season but had still not won the title because Chelsea has came out pawning from the first game and hardly dropped any points all season.

It is so so so tight at the top now that that every result matters greatly. Make no doubt this bad start is huge in relation to there EPL campaign. I am pretty sure it is there worst start ever in the EPL.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 out of 9 is small. Especially since they haven't played Chelsea, Pool, or Arsenal yet.

[/ QUOTE ]FYP there.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure it is there worst start ever in the EPL.

[/ QUOTE ]

in 93 we took 1 pt from our first three matches and won the title, we also had this same start a couple of years ago when we finished third. again, it's the first three matches of the season, does it suck, yes, but it's nowhere near teh dire situation that you and TSC are trying to portray