View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
(Disclaimers: I don't ever listen to Mike & Mike, and I don't really know anything about baseball's business side/player unions/etc)

On Mike and Mike this morning, they were discussing A-Rod, and Mike Golic mentioned that when ARod signed the gigantor contract with the yankees, he had a (slightly) less gigantor offer from the Red Sox which he was considering, but the players' union *forced* him to take the bigger offer.

Is this true? Is there more to the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you or Golic are misinterpreting the Rangers trade with A-Rod signing. Texas tried to trade A-Rod to the Rangers for (I believe) Manny Ramirez and cash, but Bud and/or the MLBPA got involved.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the 2003 season, the Red Sox and Rangers had a deal in place which would have sent ARod to the Sox (and Manny to the Rangers). Part of the deal was that ARod would take a cut in salary.

The players' union blocked the trade based on the cut in salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, WTF? That would be like my bank selling my mortgage to another bank, and the new bank getting to jack the interest rate up on me.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After the 2003 season, the Red Sox and Rangers had a deal in place which would have sent ARod to the Sox (and Manny to the Rangers). Part of the deal was that ARod would take a cut in salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, WTF? That would be like my bank selling my mortgage to another bank, and the new bank getting to jack the interest rate up on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that A-rod volunteered for the pay cut - assuming that's what your analogy is referring to.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even think it was true salary cap -- I think it shifted a chunk of money to deferred compensation that amounted to a pay cut in present-day dollars.

As I understand it, the Union was right to do what they did because if they approved the deal it could provide legal grounds (under labor law) for other teams to pressure lower paid players to cut their contracts.

My memory sucks lately, but that is how I remember it.

IMHO, the failure to sign A-Rod is the spirtual event that broke the curse of the bambino...
Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO, the failure to sign A-Rod is the spirtual event that broke the curse of the bambino...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure your whole account is one big level.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You are juvenile -- my guess is 13, maybe 14. How is this a level? Are you aware that you are no more than a pesky little troll that makes inaccurate posts. [Advice: Before you post your opinion based entirely on a "fact" that is easily proven false, consider looking it up first. Google is your friend.]

So what is your point here? I provided my recollection of the events surrounding A-Rod not signing with the Sox. Is something I said incorrect? I then threw in a line that played on Baseball folklore and was no way insulting to A-Rod, the Red Sox or anyone else. Please tell me: What is your friggin problem? Is your account a level?

But in case you are just thick, here is an explanation - read it slowly and outloud:

The Red Sox failed to get A-Rod before the 2004 season and won the World Series that year -- and if I recall correctly, they won it again after that... those World Series victory may or may not have occured if A-Rod was on the Red Sox. Things would certainly have been different without Manny. Do you disagree with that?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reasonably certain your entire life is one big level.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You are juvenile -- my guess is 13, maybe 14. How is this a level? Are you aware that you are no more than a pesky little troll that makes inaccurate posts. [Advice: Before you post your opinion based entirely on a "fact" that is easily proven false, consider looking it up first. Google is your friend.]

So what is your point here? I provided my recollection of the events surrounding A-Rod not signing with the Sox. Is something I said incorrect? I then threw in a line that played on Baseball folklore and was no way insulting to A-Rod, the Red Sox or anyone else. Please tell me: What is your friggin problem? Is your account a level?

But in case you are just thick, here is an explanation - read it slowly and outloud:

The Red Sox failed to get A-Rod before the 2004 season and won the World Series that year -- and if I recall correctly, they won it again after that... those World Series victory may or may not have occured if A-Rod was on the Red Sox. Things would certainly have been different without Manny. Do you disagree with that?

[/ QUOTE ]
tl;dr
Old 10-31-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
tl;dr

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't write it for you.

Anyway, more helful hints: tl; dr is far more appropriate (and effective) for top posts that are very long (this is neither) -- they are stupid when you have read this far into a 400+ post thread and then decide something is too long for your short attention span. tl; blnt -- too late, better luck next time.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow. You are juvenile -- my guess is 13, maybe 14.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let anyone ever say you aren't good at guessing.

[ QUOTE ]
How is this a level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are curses, obviously.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you aware that you are no more than a pesky little troll that makes inaccurate posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm sorry that no one can be as accurate as an 86-year-old curse...

[ QUOTE ]
Advice: Before you post your opinion based entirely on a "fact" that is easily proven false, consider looking it up first. Google is your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what you're talking about, but if I felt so inclined I'm sure I could own you on it.

It's a good thing I don't. Too lazy.

[ QUOTE ]
Is something I said incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the failure to sign A-Rod is the spirtual event that broke the curse of the bambino

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
I then threw in a line that played on Baseball folklore and was no way insulting to A-Rod, the Red Sox or anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you would think I care about you insulting A-Rod / Red Sox / etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me: What is your friggin problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the failure to sign A-Rod is the spirtual event that broke the curse of the bambino

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually aloud.

[ QUOTE ]
The Red Sox failed to get A-Rod before the 2004 season and won the World Series that year

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so that was why they won the World Series -- don't get A-Rod, win the World Series.

I guess we can pen the Yanks in as the 08 winners. Why play the season?

[ QUOTE ]
those World Series victory may or may not have occured if A-Rod was on the Red Sox. Things would certainly have been different without Manny. Do you disagree with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

lolaments