Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's the favourite?
L/c 0 0%
L/R 1 11.11%
B/c 0 0%
B/R 8 88.89%
I mix it up to keep the monkey and the rest of the table off balance. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: OT: [censored] thread, September, READ RULES IN TOP POST

Josem's Geek Tip of the Day: Don't remove the heatsink from your CPU because you're curious about it, 'cause the thing can't be simply replaced to work like it did before.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 AM

It's complicated. The DNA in your cells is constantly replicating. As a part of this replication process, errors inevitably occur. Your body has several lines of quality control to make sure that these errors don't propagate, for example repair enzymes and even having the cell commit suicide. However, sometimes these quality control mechanisms don't work, the cell *doesn't* kill itself and the damage is made to a gene that regulates growth, and boom, you have cancer.

In short, everyone is getting cancer constantly, but we usually nip it in the bud. Introducing toxins increases the rate of mutations (errors) and increases the chance something will slip through the cracks.

Eventually, though, cancer is extremely common (I think 85% of older men will get prostate cancer) as we get older because the quality control mechanisms lose their effectiveness.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Second hand smoke is a joke. Its so exaggerated. Like obviously not inhaling second hand smoke>>>>>>>> inhaling second hand smoke but for the most part second hand smoke doesn't cause any real damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of true and sort of not. It depends on the environment you're talking about. In the outdoors with plenty of ventilation, being near someone that smokes is unlikely to be a problem. In an enclosed space that creates a fishbowl effect - a smoky bar with half the patrons smoking and closed doors/windows - there's much more danger.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM

STTF:Talking about 2nd hand smoke :: Jamie Gold:Talking about poker
Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WRONG!

Cancer works exactly this way!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_no-threshold_model

[/ QUOTE ]

can you please explain this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Figure it out on your own and get back to us. thx.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
STTF:Talking about 2nd hand smoke :: Jamie Gold:Talking about poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol QFT, hence I haven't followed up. My point wasn't about smoking, it was about governments misrepresenting science to achieve socio-political objectives.

Fundamental flaw Josem, if I tap my forehead a million times, I will get bored. If I hit my forhead with the same energy in shortspace of time I will crush it. Many people can smoke heavily (40+ a day)for 70 years without getting lung cancer, but for some people even a little exposure eg 20 a day for 10 years can trigger what appears to be a genetic susceptibility, although there may additional environmental factors required. Summary is: passive smoking (even in smoke filled bars) is like tapping your forhead, irritating but harmless. Heavy smoking over many years appears to reach a trigger level for genetically susceptible people - more like a hammer blow between the eyes.

Live and let live [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] or do I mean live young, die fast?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol QFT, hence I haven't followed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

and then you did...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but for some people even a little exposure eg 20 a day for 10 years

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ that being a little.

PS - I think its crazy that in Ontario (where smoking is no longer allowed in restaurants/bars) owners say t he new legislation has hurt their business. Who would want to smoke while they e at? And can you imagine choosing not to go and eat a nice meal because you arent able to have a cigarette while eating it? LMAO.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can you imagine choosing not to go and eat a nice meal because you arent able to have a cigarette while eating it? LMAO.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, they're addicted. I once saw an older woman take a drag of a cig and then collapse in a fit of horrific coughing for two minutes, the majority of which was spent doubled over hacking onto the ground. Shocked, I asked her if she needed help (I was going to call an ambulance), but she waved me away. Once she had finally caught her breath, still shaking and flush from the effort she shakily brought her cigarette to her mouth for another drag and started the process again...
Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM

Check out what they just added to the FPP store:

Closed Thread