Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Lily had a clear choice to sacrifice herself for Harry. When James was killed he just died and harry was not protected, but with Lily she had a clear choice. Also, not many dark wizards, or any wizards for that matter, kill underage wizards. Its a no-no. Thats why the mother's love protection was such a rare spell. It was a unique situation.

I just reread the Deathly Hallows and I seem to hate Ron everytime I reread a HP book or see a movie. He is so worthless and whiny. Why couldnt he have died. Ugh.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lily had a clear choice to sacrifice herself for Harry. When James was killed he just died and harry was not protected, but with Lily she had a clear choice. Also, not many dark wizards, or any wizards for that matter, kill underage wizards. Its a no-no. Thats why the mother's love protection was such a rare spell. It was a unique situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

But at the end of Deathly Hallows, Harry is able to put everyone fighting voldemort under that protection when he agrees to die for them. He even comments on how voldemort's magic isn't working.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But at the end of Deathly Hallows, Harry is able to put everyone fighting voldemort under that protection when he agrees to die for them. He even comments on how voldemort's magic isn't working.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his magic wasn't working because he was using a wand that wasn't his. I'm not sure how accurate Harry's other assessment is.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People keep saying that Voldemort had nothing to do with house-elves, but he did use Kreacher to help him in the cave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sirius' brother (R.A.B.) used Kreacher in the cave, not Voldemort.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People keep saying that Voldemort had nothing to do with house-elves, but he did use Kreacher to help him in the cave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sirius' brother (R.A.B.) used Kreacher in the cave, not Voldemort.

[/ QUOTE ]

They both used him. How do you think Kreacher was able to lead Regulus to the cave and show him the way to the locket?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot Voldy asked Regulus if he could use him. Oops.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Here are my quick thoughts.

First, the middle section definitely was slow. But..

Second, the last 150 pages or so had some really terrific scenes. Specifically, the way the students and teachers rallied to battle was a lot of fun. I particularly liked Professor McConnagle (sp?) battling Snape (and the humorous way she belittled him for fleeing). These particular scenes should be very enjoyable on film.

My problem was that I really had trouble recalling and keeping track of important details. I could have used some kind of brief refresher beforehand. Here are some questions:

(1) Can someone recount for me how we learn of the number of Horcruxes, and whether the total number is clearly stated? (Is there one chapter in book six where this info comes out?) I can't even remember if there is an explanation of how they are supposed to recognize a Horcrux.

(2) I also don't know how DD managed to get the Deathly Hollows.

(3) I can't remember the scene in book six where Draco beat DD, which was significant in explaining how Harry ended up being able to get control of the super-powerful wand.

Can anyone clarify this stuff to me? Since these questions have not come up before in this thread, I guess I have only my poor memory and bad reading comprehension to blame.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 AM

1. I think Dumbledore guessed there would be 7 because 7 is a magic number.
2. Got the cloak from James, got the stone from Riddle's dad's house, got the wand from battling Grendelwald.
3. Basically DD and HP get back from poison drinking, DD freezes Harry under his cloak. Draco stuns DD and disarms him, then teases him a little bit but cant get around to killing him so Snape does it.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(1) Can someone recount for me how we learn of the number of Horcruxes, and whether the total number is clearly stated? (Is there one chapter in book six where this info comes out?) I can't even remember if there is an explanation of how they are supposed to recognize a Horcrux.

[/ QUOTE ]
Harry gets a memory from professor slughorn in book 6 where voldemort states that 7 would be the magically strongest number. Also, dumbledore lectures him on the type of objects voldemort will choose.
[ QUOTE ]

(3) I can't remember the scene in book six where Draco beat DD, which was significant in explaining how Harry ended up being able to get control of the super-powerful wand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dumbledore and harry flew into a tower in hogwarts, and draco disarmed dumbledore.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Dumbedore guesses that Vold will choose 7, because it is a magical number? But Vold is not aware that Harry himself is a horcrux, right?

So were there actually a total of 8?