N. Coffee 25 58.14%
Espresso etc 3 6.98%
Girly Coffee 6 13.95%
Herbal Tea 2 4.65%
Tea (milk..) 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

The bears had a great run. I am sad to see it end in such a way but the Colts were a better team and it had to go down like that. There is a lot to look forward to next year. I just hope for another good draft class and improvement from rex grossman.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 AM

Bears also get TH and MB back from injuries. The D was much better with those boys.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bears had a great run. I am sad to see it end in such a way but the Colts were a better team and it had to go down like that. There is a lot to look forward to next year. I just hope for another good draft class and improvement from rex grossman.

[/ QUOTE ]

how the hell can you want anything from grossman other than a view of his backside as he leaves town? his performance today was hideous and its not like some isolated game either.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Q

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how the hell can you want anything from grossman other than a view of his backside as he leaves town? his performance today was hideous and its not like some isolated game either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched the whole season. He has talent. He'll probably get better as a QB. He showed improvement. Best QB to play here in a decade. Should I continue?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Q

Tough way to end a good year. Congrats to the Colts. Manning played a very patient game . He played the Bears exactly like you need to play the Bears defense. Short passes underneath. He got 5 yards on every third and 5. Just long drives where it took them three plays to get ten yards and then the field goals.

Grossman will get a TON of blame for this game. I put it squarely on the shoulders of Ron Turner. Grossman took exactly what the defense gave him and what routes he had to choose from. The underthrow on the pick 6 was a bad throw, but that was his only really bad throw of the game. He came out and did exactly what he needed to do. The QB/center exchange fumbles make no sense to me. I have no idea why this has seemed to pop up against the two best teams they played all year. But it is a correctable mistake.

Turner's play calling on the first drive was terrible. Good solid first pass to Berrian, run play with Jones that you know they are waiting for. Then on third and three just a couple of nice flood routes and everything is fine. Instead he takes a shot deep. Exactly what you don't want to do at the begining of the game. How has he not learned this lesson? If he saves that play for the end of the first or begining of the second quarter Rex will complete it. But on the first two drives of the game you can't give him those options.

Then he should have been fired on the spot for the third quarter play calls. The Colts had put together a long drive to end the first half. And then ate up half of the third quarter with a long field goal drive. So the offense has not been on the field in 10 minutes of game time and almost an hour of real time and the Colts have scored three points. For some reason they come right out an panic. Throw two passes that both result in good yardage and then for some unknown fancy play calling reason on 2nd and 1 he motions Jones out of the backfield?!?! So let me get this straight. You need to hold onto the ball and eat up some clock to rest your defense, your playing a defense that is selling out against the run because they have been thrashed and slashed all year and you telegraph that you are going to pass on the best down and distance to confuse a team? WTF? Now would it have helped if Grossman holds onto the ball on third and 12? Sure. Would it have been much better to keep your team out of that position all together by making a good play call? Your damn right it would have.

The Colts played the game on offense you need to play to beat the Bears. I've said it all year. If you throw short quick passes the Bears will just pound you all day, but you will move the ball.

It will be interesting to see where the Bears go in this offseason. The people who pile on Grossman are insane. He plays the same game Manning does. Matched him pass for pass. But because he fumbles two snaps he is terrible and should be run out on a rail. Just please let the media flow off of his shoulders and let him continue to improve. He played very well in these playoffs. If he played that well in every game he wold be fine. Not every QB is Manning or Brees. But for some reason the Bears find the best QB they have had in 20 years and everybody wants them to play a career back-up. If they can find a trade for Peyton or Brees or Brady sure get on that. Oh wait nobody is giving them up? Alright then let's cut this guy a break. He just went 20/28 in the Superbowl.

They need another wide reciever. Moose is solid, but he is getting old, he no longer gets any seperation. Benson has been very physical, but I'm starting to get the feeling he will never be durable enough for his runing style. More defensive line help in the draft will be good to keep that depth and getting back Brown and Harris next year will be good. Also if possible could we just hold Mike Brown out for the first half of the year and keep him in bubble wrap?

As long as the Bears stay smart and don't fold under the media pressure (getting rid of Grossman for a journey man who will not make mistakes) they are set up very well for the next couple of years. This is only the middle of an open window. With some injury luck they could be in the Superbowl again next year. They just have to keep improving their depth and playmakers. Also could they please have Ron Turner sit down with someone who understands offensive playcalling?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turner's play calling most of the season was terrible. I hope he leaves for Dallas

[/ QUOTE ]

You can tell if somebody really watches the Bears depending on who they dislike more Turner or Grossman.

The big questions in the next 2 weeks are Lance Briggs & Ron Rivera. Briggs seems so unhappy with the orginization, that even if franchised, he may sit out. Rivera getting the HC job in Dallas would be a huge loss, but he may take Ron Turner with him.

Rueben Brown's contract is up, and you'd have to think retirement may be an option. Angelo has always prefered to find O-lineman in free agency not the draft. I would like to see them go after Eric Steinbach-UFA or a young OT (Max Starcks-RFA, Mike Gandy-UFA or Jordan Black-UFA) to push Tait & Miller.

Adrian Peterson is a UFA. Peterson has been my favorite Bear for sometime. He is their best special teamer and would be a great third down back if something happened to Benson or Jones. Luckily the RB free agent market is fairly strong. I would be very upset if Peterson left.

Angelo's put together some great drafts. The Bears can find Briggs' replacement in the frist round. Adding depth at OLB, S & O-Line are key.

Please don't lose special teams coach Dave Toub. This guy has really done an incredible job developing guys like Peterson, Ayanbadejo, Cameron Worrell not to mention Hester or Gould.

It was a fun year, I don't see any reason why 2007 can't be the same or better.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 PM

The whole situation with the coaches is just stupid. There is no reason why Rivera and Toub's contracts should be up. The Cowboys are hiring Norv Turner as their head coach. There was a shot of the Cowboys green room and Turner was sitting with Jerry Jones. This could put a serious crimp in Jerry Jones's plan to give Rivera a fake headcoaching interview to bring him in as the defensive corordinator. They have to get done all of these coaches contracts this week and they really need to make it worth their while. There is no cap on coaches salary and this group of coaches has proven themselves. Except for Turner who has been unable to adjust the whole year. Maybe he could join his brother in Dallas.

Briggs will be interesting. I don't think he can be that unhappy with the front office. They offered him some pretty fair market value. I don't think it would be wise to franchise him. I think the best idea is to offer him a bit less than Urlacher for the same length. If he turns it down all you can do is let him go. I don't think destroying the cap to hold on to him is a strategy that winning teams can take.

I hope Peterson resigns. He is a great role player nobody notices. I would try and resign Brown at a set price and I thought they should have started drafting offensive lineman last year.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM

After a group of Renegade Eagles fans kidnap Briggs and threaten to kill him, he will sign with Philly.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After a group of Renegade Eagles fans kidnap Briggs and threaten to kill him, he will sign with Philly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know my Eagle fan friends that have sat through every Bears game this year with me? I'll have to let them know your on to them. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 PM

All,

How do you guys feel about Rex as this team heads into the off season? We all know that I personally stand by him and trust that he will improve and become a better QB next year. I understand that he has played poorly at times during the season, but am I insane for believing that he is the type of QB who can play at a high level constantly? I argue with a lot of Rex haters and I trust the opinions of a lot of people on this forum. I just too see what everyone else thinks this guy is capable of.