Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/9 - ME Final Table)

[ QUOTE ]
that was the worst final table of any year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt that.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. We are talking about a TV show that was cut to provide entertainment value to about 1.8 million first-run viewers, about half of which do NOT watch any other form of poker on TV during the year.

A lot of what makes an "entertaining" TV show is contrived or pre-planned in some way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, no [censored]? Not sure what this has to do with my assertion that the prayer was totally embarrassing. If anything I was thanking the editors for sparing us some blessings.

[ QUOTE ]
2. As for the flags: they were my idea, not ESPN's.

With 3 clients at the final table (I did their single-event product endorsement deals)

I wanted as many flags of as many countries as possible in the arena for a specific purpose: the video, which will eventually be shopped around by ESPN International Syndication on behalf of Harrah's Entertainment at trade shows around the world (i.e. Sportel in Monaco, Shanghai, and Miami) to TV buyers and government gambling monopoly officials, has to illustrate that poker is no longer an "American-only" game and televised poker is no longer an "American-only" entertainment product.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? So you were trying to help ESPN and Harrah's make poker go global by buying flags for the people in the crowd? I think you used this as an excuse to talk about yourself and your clients.

[ QUOTE ]
The composition of the 2007 WSOP ME FT, with only 3 out 9 players holding U.S. citizenship (Childs, Khan, and Watkinson), represents the present and future of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does the country of origin for final table participants have to do with anything? Are you saying that in the future more non-Americans are going to be playing major tournaments? Again, no [censored].

[ QUOTE ]
Those government officials in those territories will have be convinced that poker does NOT threaten their existing gambling monopoly revenue streams in order to allow poker to be shown on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can definitely see how a couple of random people (related to your clients!) waving flags in the crowd will help in this regard [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM

OliverT,

I hate most of what you do, but I think the flags/nationalism were a nice touch given the makeup of the final table.

The USA chant was still dickish though.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OliverT,

I hate most of what you do, but I think the flags/nationalism were a nice touch given the makeup of the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get that damn bird off your shoulder.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The USA chant was pure stupidity. So there's a guy from Laos and one from Vietnam/Canada, maybe they were rooting for the dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jerry considers himself an American, as does his family.

I'm sure Tuan Lam considers himself Canadian.

Their passports probably show that they are in fact American and Canadian, respectively.

Did anyone criticize Joe Hachem and his crew for showing Aussie pride because he is ethnically Lebanese?

-Z
Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The USA chant was pure stupidity. So there's a guy from Laos and one from Vietnam/Canada, maybe they were rooting for the dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry is NOT an American yet. He didn't apply for U.S. citizenship until after the main event.

As for the "USA" chants: I was not allowed inside the arena during the final table, so I was not able to stop the crowd from chanting "USA, USA". I don't believe the "USA, USA" chants were appropriate given that Jerry won't be an American until the 3rd quarter of 2009.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you. The "USA, USA" chants were inappropriate because Jerry is NOT an American yet. I was not allowed inside the arena so I couldn't stop the crowd from doing the chant.

Jerry has applied for U.S. citizenship, but due to the backlog in applications, I don't anticipate Jerry being granted U.S. citizenship until the 3rd quarter of 2009.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry is NOT an American yet. He didn't apply for U.S. citizenship until after the main event.

As for the "USA" chants: I was not allowed inside the arena during the final table, so I was not able to stop the crowd from chanting "USA, USA". I don't believe the "USA, USA" chants were appropriate given that Jerry won't be an American until the 3rd quarter of 2009.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be able to stop a chant. You're not some all knowing poker god dude.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you. The "USA, USA" chants were inappropriate because Jerry is NOT an American yet. I was not allowed inside the arena so I couldn't stop the crowd from doing the chant.

Jerry has applied for U.S. citizenship, but due to the backlog in applications, I don't anticipate Jerry being granted U.S. citizenship until the 3rd quarter of 2009.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, olivert is such an egomaniacal prick...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM

I realize this is a bit late but gawd damn i was getting tilted so hard watching Yang raise it up 6x bb preflop every [censored] hand. [censored] luckbox