Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Ask the Lounge About Men

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i'm not rly one to care much about fashion, or purses, or whatever...

but srsly,

WHY DO YOU ASSUME I WOULD CARRY A DOILY ATTACHED TO A POCKET ATTACHED TO ROPE.

ughhh, i'm furious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry gorie. Why do I always hurt your feelings? Yes I remember the other times and I know I said sorry those times also. I guess my sorry must not mean much to you by now.

I was trying to be funny and all the purses I picked are stupid. I have no idea about fashion I thought that would be painfully clear. I only included you because I think you are neat.

I got a bad feeling lots of other people probably feel the same way you do about the silly antics I pull to try and get laughs and showoff. I will stop if I can. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is like a puzzle with a pant pocket purse.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Here's a novel idea:

You accept the CD or whatever with tact and say, "Thanks Mom, Merry Christmas, I love you" or some such, then go sell the [censored] thing on Ebay or something. Hurting one's mother's feelings because she insists on getting you some genre of gift that isn't your taste is keeping it pretty [censored] mad real alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did that for a bit.

but i'd rather she save herself the time and money and not get me anything than get me something completely at odds with who i am as a person.

it'd be like getting a vegetarian a juicy stake

[/ QUOTE ]

If the stuff she's getting you is all of the 'Left Behind' stripe, then I'd say she's afraid who you are as a person is going to Hell.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I got a bad feeling lots of other people probably feel the same way you do about the silly antics I pull to try and get laughs and showoff. I will stop if I can. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what the hell? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] You can't stop!

What about the hundreds of people whose only joy in their otherwise dreary lives is stumbling upon one of your funny pictures? What about them?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:57 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.

stuey - i guess i can forgive you this time.

but for future reference:

Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM

This is obviously part of a larger argument about religion. Special case. It's pretty divisive when your family doesn't respect your feelings about religion and keeps trying to harp on it and ambush you with it. It's a pretty powerful rejection of your individuality, and it's very disrespectful to keep going on it. If you gave a Jew a cross for Christmas, I could see how that could feel like a dirty trick more than a gift or anything remotely sincere.

Or yeah, like pryor said about the steak.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is obviously part of a larger argument about religion. Special case. It's pretty divisive when your family doesn't respect your feelings about religion and keeps trying to harp on it and ambush you with it. If you gave a Jew a cross for Christmas, I could see how that could feel like a dirty trick more than a gift or anything remotely sincere.

Or yeah, like pryor said about the steak.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, it's an artistic problem because, well, it's me. you don't give a filmie a bad made-for-TV movie unless you have absolutely no clue and that definitely isn't the case.

i talk to my mother like once a week. everyone who's ever met me would know better than to get me something like that.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 PM

I would think the mature loving approach would be something like, "I love my Mom, but she's always thumping the Bible at me, and getting me goofy Christian movies for Christmas."

Then, accept the gifts and dump them in the airport bathroom on the way home. She's your mom, if this is a way she expresses concern for you, you ought to man up and let it slide, instead of acting like a pretentious review writing bitch to her.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] gorie
Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 PM

There's something to be said for that, but then again, why is it that non-religious or agnostic people have to tolerate religious people pushing their views on them all the time even when they've been told in no uncertain terms that they are just not interested? Why is it okay for someone to think that others' right to their beliefs, and to not be pestered about them, is so much less than their own? It's like a lot of religious people think they're on a special social plane that deserves to be far more abusive and selfish than others, and that it's to be taken for granted that agnostics/atheists just have to put up with any and every amount of it, whenever and wherever. It's like being chained to an intermittently crying two-year-old who actually thinks he's vastly brighter and better than everybody else.

For people like myself who have grown up around a lot of hard-core born-agains, this can be a real problem and bring any social situation imaginable to a crashing stop on a dime as you have to try to make yet another gracious escape. And even while being needled and disrespected so thoroughly. This can be very abusive and, if you've been through it, enormously passive-aggressive.

If you haven't been around people that try to convert you like crazy, like I have, maybe it's hard to even imagine what I'm talking about. But some of these guys are just relentless and truly make it virtually impossible to be friends with them. Having to live with your own family doing that to you would be enough to bring me to the brink of madness. Imagine not even being able to talk to your own mother much because you know that Jesus is riding herd on her constantly prompting her to bring him up again. "Oh, by the way, did I forget to mention Jesus ..." Arggg!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:34 PM

I grew up in the Arkansas Ozarks as a registered heathen. Not many know more about being 'witnessed to' than I.

But if it's your Mother, you let it slide. You don't hurt your Mom's feelings. That's all I'm saying.