Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2006 NLCS Cards v. Mets Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling this is going to go seven and then I will pray that for some reason Randolph decides to trot Trachsel out there against Suppan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please let it be so!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:56 AM

even if randolph does pitch trachsel in game 7, his leash will be extremely short. since the mets will be going home if they lose the game, trax could be yanked in less than an inning if a few runners get on. kind of like the all star game -- everyone will be available.

people are talking about glavine being on three days' rest, but seem to be ignoring the fact that weaver will be facing the same predicament. thoughts on this? true, glavine is the much older pitcher. but he also relies less on velocity than weaver, so if he loses a couple of mph off his fastball, perhaps it's not that big a deal.

given that a potential game 7 would be played at shea, i have to give the mets a slight edge from here on. delgado and beltran are just mashing, and i suspect that the mets will score enough runs to overcome the mediocre starters they have remaining.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:57 AM

To the Perez bashers out there, I think the commentators were on the right track in praising him, even if they overdid it.

First of all, two of the home runs he gave up were in the sixth inning, after he had a huge lead and was plainly just throwing it right down the middle, as he is supposed to do in such a case.

But even if you don't make that allowance, there were other factors at play here that made his otherwise mediocre line pretty good. Namely, there was a hell of a lot of pressure on him just to last 5 innings, not an easy feat since he had not pitched in a while. And he really did not seem afraid, which I think counts for something. I believe this is one of those times when the numbers don't tell the whole story.

I will be real surprised if this series does not go 7 games now, a prospect that is both terrifying and cool. Trachsel probably will start, but his leash will be so short that it may not matter that much. If he has one bad inning, he's probably going to be pulled for Darren Oliver.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

people are talking about glavine being on three days' rest, but seem to be ignoring the fact that weaver will be facing the same predicament. thoughts on this? true, glavine is the much older pitcher. but he also relies less on velocity than weaver, so if he loses a couple of mph off his fastball, perhaps it's not that big a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ordinarily, I would say that the rest benefits Glavine more, simply because he really seems to prefer being on a regulaer routine.

I'm not sure, though, whether it is better to get an extra day once he had assumed it would be a short rest. Expecting to pitch with less rest, he threw on the side less than usual (which Weaver presumably did too). Maybe it would be even more disruptive to Glavine to get back to a 5-day schedule after he altered his off-day preparation routine.

One other remote factor: if the Mets actually get past the Cards, the World Series is scheduled to start Saturday, I believe. If Glavine pitches tonight, then he can start game 1 of the series, and potentially even make 3 starts.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Glavine is HORRENDOUS on 3 days rest.

I've heard that there are reports that if tonight gets rained out, then LaRussa is considering throwing Carpenter on short rest in Game 5.

Is this really true? I can't imagine why LaRussa would do this.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM

Glavine has not been good on 3 days rest in the post season. But he hasn't been bad on 3 days rest during regular season play throughout his career (3.53 ERA in 25 starts on short rest).

Looking at the weather report I don't see how they get this game in tonight. So we probably shouldn't waste time discussing Glavine on 3 days rest anymore.

Assuming a rain out...LaRussa throwing Carp on 3 days rest is something that he has to consider, but doesn't have to do. I don't see him doing this, but the possibility will be there.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Glavine is HORRENDOUS on 3 days rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I kept telling myself that a rainout today wouldn't be bad. But, its October and Glavine knows he's the Mets best starter, he is just going to have to step up. The bats are just going to have to come alive to help him out. They were one of the best teams in scoring runs in the first inning, I think they need to do that tonight. Glavine has to settle in tonight.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 AM

I cannot fathom why LaRussa would send out Carpenter on 3 days rest, when there are definitely 2 games to follow and he could just pitch the next day on normal rest.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Here's my question. Looking forward to the future of course, but could Oliver Perez be a consistent starter for the Mets? I'm looking at their future staff and I'm assuming this, but with who is going to be availble for opening day, Hernandez - Maine - Zambrano - Perez - Bannister. Other than El Duque, thats a relatively young staff, and well Martinez will be available later in the season.

Does Omar really have to go out and sign that big free agent?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Omar really have to go out and sign that big free agent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

That staff doesn't cut it. Sign the big free agent. Exercise Glavine's option. Mix in Maine/Pelfrey/Humber/Perez/Bannister. Pedro back in June.

Then you have the guns for another October run next year.

As long as everyone's calves are ok.