Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/9 - ME Final Table)

[ QUOTE ]
wtf was that fiancee saying, what is going on here with religion and poker colliding

[/ QUOTE ]

It was insane. I grant anyone their religious beliefs but does anyone really think that their God of choice is looking in on the WSOP ME and is taking sides? Even if God ordered the PPV and was checking out hands in between having Jesus' image show up on a pancake in Kansas he would be hard pressed to pick between nine decent guys.

Lee's fiancee was scary. It's one thing to be under pressure, in the event, and willing some help from your God but to be a spectator, get out of your seat and pretty much shout out that you want deliverance NOW, is frightening.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still can't believe Yang called off 8.7 million with A9. So sick.

Lee's move had great fold equity. But again Yang = calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you blind!!!???

yang had a strangle hold on the table. he had taken all 8 players hostage within the first 90 minutes. when this hand came up .. it was obvious that the all in move was to try to get the upper hand on yang. yang showed the table that he had enough chips that he'd call with a huge range of hands. this bad call did as much to stitch up the championship for yang as any other hand. did you see the shocked looks of yangs opponents when they saw what he called with? he had half the chips in play. he could afford to make this call.

the posts on this forum are so amateur. yang was the only player at the FT that wasn't afraid to go bust. the only player that stepped up his game to try to WIN. yang played a fantastic 16 hours of poker to capture the ME title. you donks are criticizing. none of you would have the stones to step up in the first 90 minutes of play and take down the chip leader practically single handedly.

if you want to criticize the holy roller stuff those are all there. the guy played strong all night. for that he should be commended.

calling station??!! he used his stack like a club. he kept the opponents' heads spinning.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, if you only know the FT from the ESPN broadcasts, you can't logically come to that conclusion imo.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the Stewie Griffin T-shirt

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8 million thumbs down for ESPN, I watched the live broadcast and if this is the best 2 hours they could come up with they are truly pathetic broadcasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best two hours for us, or the general clueless public?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--I believe Lam is quoted as saying that he was monumentally card dead for most of the FT. I'm not sure he was just trying to fold his way up the pay scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC Lam got involved in pots throughout the FT but he had to bail out of many of them because of re-raises from multiple players.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like Kalmar's move there and wish more people would do it. I called you, so turn over your cards. It's simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also a dick move

[/ QUOTE ]

With the plays Yang was making there was absolutely nothing wrong or dickish about that move.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SHOW ME YOUR MIRACLES FATHER!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.. I missed that one... what a nut job.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yang absolutely raped this final table. I watched it live, and I can tell you the man was raising / re raising every other hand, and was absolutely fearless. He played like a [censored] genius - he KNEW he was one of the worst players at the table, and was WILLING to get all his money in preflop as a slight dog against a better player - because he realized this was his best shot for knocking people out and winning the event.

Yang played to win, and every single hand he played was to knock somebody out. It is very clear he was playing for a purpose, unlike some of the other players who played extremely scared. This ESPN edited broadcast does Yang no credit, and in no way shows how he was truly dominating the table.

You can argue Yang got the cards too, but he also had a few suckouts against him and lost some flips - and still one. All in all, he played optimal strategy for somebody of his skill level at this table IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. I also watched it live and ESPN really did a poor job of showing just how much Yang steamrolled the FT. Plus, about halfway through he changed gears and tightened up but none of the other players recognized this and it cost them. What I watched yesterday bore little resemblance to reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this, are the ESPN telecasts now hurting poker, in the online fight? Or the "poker = skill" argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're probably helping since the more people see this stuff the more they'll want to play poker. Strength in numbers. Anyways, no politician is going to be able to effectively promote online gambling. It's career suicide. But this is for another forum.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM

2003, the year of Moneymaker was great TV. Dannenmann made things a little interesting but for the most part poker on TV sucks (other than HSP)
Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like Kalmar's move there and wish more people would do it. I called you, so turn over your cards. It's simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also a dick move

[/ QUOTE ]

With the plays Yang was making there was absolutely nothing wrong or dickish about that move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think it's MORE of a dick move to lead the action and then try to duck out of showing your cards. I would have made him show every time.