Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Ask the Lounge About Men

[ QUOTE ]

While its the thought that counts, if someone was thoughtful enough to ask you what you want, you should be equally thoughtful and give them some suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Sniper, that it would be helpful and appreciated if the person I asked would give me some general idea of what they would like for their birthday. ("i could use socks!" or "That new Rod Stewart cd looks sweet!")

However, it frequently happens that some people (usually men) respond with "Nothing." So I was wondering if they actually meant it when they said "nothing." According to fyodor and Chipwrecked, they actually mean it! So I guess it means they have nothing to suggest and I will either have to wing it on my own or skip it altogether, which apparently will not result in hurt feelings, which is cool.

That's what I was trying to get to the bottom of and I appreciate everyone's honesty.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

WHY DO YOU ASSUME I WOULD CARRY A DOILY ATTACHED TO A POCKET ATTACHED TO ROPE.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ughhh, i'm furious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's his way of saying you are adorable and unpretentious and have a funky feminine side to you. I doubt he actually envisions you running up and down the boulevards with a tiny pocket doily hanging on your hip and blowing in the wind [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
katy wasn't asking if my attitude sucked or was right or wrong. She just wanted to know what it meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. And your answer did not suck. And your attitude does not suck either.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so one year i opened it up at Christmas and didn't even pretend to be excited...i just held it up and said, "does anyone want this?")...that fixed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet it did. I'd never get you another present the rest of your [censored] life if you were in my family and said something that [censored] rude. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pryor keeps it mad real.

[/ QUOTE ]

word.

the thing is she knows i'll never watch it. she knows i won't even open it. she knows for a fact that i won't even take it back to pittsburgh with me. how does she know this? because that's what I'd done for the past few years with increasingly diminished levels of tact. and when she calls and asks me if she should mail it to me, i'd politely declined. I'd all but said, "please don't get me a gift you know I'll never use" (and i might have even said that)

it's not like i was a jerk out of the blue or anything.

also, i'm not big on being fake with people.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to fyodor and Chipwrecked, they actually mean it! So I guess it means they have nothing to suggest and I will either have to wing it on my own or skip it altogether, which apparently will not result in hurt feelings, which is cool.

That's what I was trying to get to the bottom of and I appreciate everyone's honesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

It means gift card [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It means gift card [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a hundred dollar bill? Would that offend? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so one year i opened it up at Christmas and didn't even pretend to be excited...i just held it up and said, "does anyone want this?")...that fixed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet it did. I'd never get you another present the rest of your [censored] life if you were in my family and said something that [censored] rude. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pryor keeps it mad real.

[/ QUOTE ]

word.

the thing is she knows i'll never watch it. she knows i won't even open it. she knows for a fact that i won't even take it back to pittsburgh with me. how does she know this? because that's what I'd done for the past few years with increasingly diminished levels of tact. and when she calls and asks me if she should mail it to me, i'd politely declined. I'd all but said, "please don't get me a gift you know I'll never use" (and i might have even said that)

it's not like i was a jerk out of the blue or anything.

also, i'm not big on being fake with people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a novel idea:

You accept the CD or whatever with tact and say, "Thanks Mom, Merry Christmas, I love you" or some such, then go sell the [censored] thing on Ebay or something. Hurting one's mother's feelings because she insists on getting you some genre of gift that isn't your taste is keeping it pretty [censored] mad real alright.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it frequently happens that some people (usually men) respond with "Nothing." So I was wondering if they actually meant it when they said "nothing." According to fyodor and Chipwrecked, they actually mean it! So I guess it means they have nothing to suggest and I will either have to wing it on my own or skip it altogether, which apparently will not result in hurt feelings, which is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever guys ask if they should take it seriously when their girlfriend/wife says they don't want a present for some holiday or anniversary, the pretty universal response is, "You are DEAD if you don't. Are you serious? How could you be so stupid?"

Now, guys aren't quite as sentimental as ladies, but I'd still take this all with a grain of salt.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

WHY DO YOU ASSUME I WOULD CARRY A DOILY ATTACHED TO A POCKET ATTACHED TO ROPE.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ughhh, i'm furious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's his way of saying you are adorable and unpretentious and have a funky feminine side to you. I doubt he actually envisions you running up and down the boulevards with a tiny pocket doily hanging on your hip and blowing in the wind [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has the impression that you don't shave your pits, and this is just the purse to express it.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here's a novel idea:

You accept the CD or whatever with tact and say, "Thanks Mom, Merry Christmas, I love you" or some such, then go sell the [censored] thing on Ebay or something. Hurting one's mother's feelings because she insists on getting you some genre of gift that isn't your taste is keeping it pretty [censored] mad real alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did that for a bit.

but i'd rather she save herself the time and money and not get me anything than get me something completely at odds with who i am as a person.

it'd be like getting a vegetarian a juicy stake