Have girlfriend/boyfriend 131 24.30%
Married 111 20.59%
Separated 1 0.19%
Divorced 10 1.86%
Widowed 3 0.56%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: this chick is fat, yo

Why give a warm piss about the posturing here when it comes to describing women? Because that's all it is. No different than inflating salaries or win rates. Irvman21 said it earlier in the thread:

[ QUOTE ]

I swear most people decided whatever they would actually rate the woman and then subtract 2 points before posting it on OOT so nobody calls them gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

When not posturing, OOT is probably less shallow than other male treehouse-type conclaves.

Last November, someone embedded a poll in the thread "Suppose you had a daughter..." asking the preference for a smart,ugly daughter versus a dumb, hot one. 89% preferred smart.

Also, see last December's poll on dating women smarter than you where only 7% said they look for someone less intelligent.

And from this week why women are smarter than men, where the responses only prove the point.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

c) assume their audience is all male, which is 99.5% true

[/ QUOTE ]

and therefore 100% false
Old 05-18-2006, 01:54 PM

gorie,

Would you like to cyber w/ me and fsduck sometime?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Elaine,

Your use of the statement "Why are women so stupid?" as an example of OOT misogyny is something referred to as "quoting out of context" which means that you have removed the statement from the surrounding words in such a manner as to distort its meaning. This is not generally considered a good way to prove a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is gold. elaine?
Old 05-18-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There have been countless times when guys post pics of their gf who does not look like a model, but guys are generally pretty respectful of and sincerely complimentary towards the person as a REAL-LIFE GIRL. The same thing holds for when female posters like gorie post their pics here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever bumped Cardcounter's thread the other day proved you wrong. As did the "My wife just PWNED me" thread.

Seriously, El D, OOT is pretty disrespectful of all women. Every thread involving a wife or girlfriend gets at least a couple very rude replies that the mods don't delete. (They will however delete anti-semitic stuff, which I find interesting).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they jump on anti-Semitic things far quicker than they jump on other racial/ethnic stuff, and definitely let anti-black stuff get plenty of free passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A very large number of people on my ignore list are there for being racist. And yes, even some for being really mean to women here. Though in general, I agree with El D's point that the majority of posters are very nice to "real" girls as opposed to the "supermodel" types. I think that the exchange between gorie and El D is also telling as he is correct that a huge number of posters have been complimentary towards gorie's photos, yet she recalls it diifferently, which shows the potential negative impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think she set herself up for a fall posting her pictures, and by repeatedly exaggerating the negativity expressed toward her regarding them(this is not the first time -- this seems to be a pet subject with Gorie), refused not to take it. In fact most people like Gorie and I'm not sure why the hell we should even know what she looks like or why she wanted to show us. It is the internet, after all. And posting pics of oneself and then being disappointed if you are able to find reviews that are less than glowing seems perilously close to fishing for compliments. The internet is the wrong pond. OOT is the wrong pond.

Yet still, most responses toward Gorie were and remain positive. I think Gorie sometimes seems enamored of her own suffering. Eh, whatever works for ya. Any victimization here was almost entirely self-created, though.

I love ya, Gorie, but you can't expect every last random person on the internet to be flattering. It doesn't work that way, not even for girls. Now cheer up and, as I once said to a friend, don't stick your dick in front of a passing train.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I think Gorie ROCKS. She's the coolest chick on the planet. But she suffers, like all of her "sisters" do, from only seeing the one or two negative comments about her looks among the hundreds of positive ones.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, also:

[/ QUOTE ]

finally!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why would you be shocked? When I got married in 1968, women routinely took their husbands' names upon marriage, but shortly thereafter educated women largely stopped changing their names. My younger sister, for example, never changed her name. Most of my female colleagues and wives of male colleagues did not change their names. I can only think of one younger female colleague who did change her name. She is a Slavicist, and her maiden name was English. She happened to marry a man with a Slavic surname, and she changed because having a Slavic surname was a plus in getting a job. Frankly I would have been surprised if Elaine had changed her name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your experiences are a little skewed by Louisiana Law. Damn that Napoleonic code. A woman's name stays the same unless they go through formal procedures to get it changed.

However, the majority of weddings I have gone to where college educated women have gotten married, the woman took the man's surname. I don't think it is as common as you make it out to be.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, none of my friends got married in Louisiana. In fact they live all over the country. Second, my friends are all academics (as opposed to educated women in other fields), which may make a difference. FWIW none of my married Dutch friends uses the same surname as his/her spouse.

Actually I find the two surnames per couple thing a little annoying when it comes to writing out Christmas cards and such. Often I can't remember the spouse's last name....
Old 05-18-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also that standards of fat here are quite umm horrifying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the standards of rating pictures on OOT are so high that they become a joke and people should know not to take them seriously.

A girl posts a picture and someone says she's fat and ugly, OK that hurts. Does it hurt as much when you realize someone probably said the same thing in a thread about Salma Hayak the day before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this chick could totally lose at least 45lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hit it.

Gently.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:12 PM

How does that skeleton have any breasts?
Old 05-18-2006, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does that skeleton have any breasts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine what they'd look like if she put on a few pounds.