Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 AM

Default Re: A Call for Civility in Poker

Totally agreed with OP. There's nothing more annoying than the ppl who don't know when to stop (I can understand a line or two after getting sucked out on, but I try to refrain myself from that too)
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 AM

chat is def. +EV, esp late in a MTT. I have seen discussions where the consensus was that Hero was a donk for pushing KQs UTG with an M of 4!! Next to shown hands, chat is the best source of info. FWIW, you can reinforce their opinion of you by responding with "Hey, any 2 can win . . ."
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 AM

I play mainly on True Poker, which is a very small site and I know most of the players at my level and see them fairly often. I try not to be a jerk for 2 reasons:

1) I want them to feel good about giving me their money
2) I don't want to let them in on how poorly they play/how lucky I was

I've branched out a litte and started playing on Party and JEEZ! There's like a 5000% bigger player pool, so it seems that my odds of seeing these players often enough to get into a flame war with them are so poor, I just let it go.

Suck outs go both ways, I'll be the first to admit it. Learning to keep on a more "even keel" and not getting mad at the cards I think will help me in the end.

When I suck out and people berate/question me, I usually just respond with "just lucky" or "every dog.." or something like that. I don't want to be that guy who focuses his rage at losing his mortgage money (again) on the person who called his outlandish bet with a reasonable hand.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 AM

Heh I dabbled in truepoker for a little while about a year ago. The games and the chat made it feel like a home game.. actually.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I very rarely chat. An occasional 'nh' and 'gf' and sometimes a 'I don't work in a hospital.' because of questions over my screen name.

Is, IYO, turning off chat -EV because of what you can do to others or because of what you can learn about them, or because it keeps you focussed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because donkeys are constantly giving away free information w/ their chat. There are times when people have said after I raise their blind "man I would call, but we're so close to the money!"

If you are so sensitive that you can't bear to read some stupid anonymous chat, then you are passing up on free EV+.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 AM

hee haw
Old 04-19-2006, 08:49 AM

WTF NICE TWO OUTER
Old 04-19-2006, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF NICE TWO OUTER

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I have seen some really amazing stuff in chat boxes last few weeks. In a 200 turbo STT on stars, these 2 guys were going at it the whole time, and at one point one guy said "I really hope you get AIDS and die."
Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I very rarely chat. An occasional 'nh' and 'gf' and sometimes a 'I don't work in a hospital.' because of questions over my screen name.

Is, IYO, turning off chat -EV because of what you can do to others or because of what you can learn about them, or because it keeps you focussed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because donkeys are constantly giving away free information w/ their chat. There are times when people have said after I raise their blind "man I would call, but we're so close to the money!"

If you are so sensitive that you can't bear to read some stupid anonymous chat, then you are passing up on free EV+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

To add, I have recently begun reinforcing table image through chat. For instance, when the bubble comes, and it's stealin' time, I have found ways to make it known I am not tolerating getting robbed. In a joking way, I have gotten many at the table to not go there with me with any two. I said this immediately after someone busted. Point reinforced. Of course, this is donkey control. A knowledgeable player is going to take his shots.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:00 AM

I have been guilty of getting into verbal arguments w/ people in the chat, but it's usually just an e-penis waving contest, and not me berating them for being bad at poker.