Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Re: World\'s 50 best restaruants listed. Which ones have you been to?

I've been to exactly 0

But might I suggest the following, which is probably 80% as good and 90% cheaper

Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 PM

If any of you are ever near Lafayette, La, I recommend you eat at Prejeans

Link

Melch
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm clearly a food snob. I've got 8 and I think there are some glaring omissions from the list. The fact that it is heavily weighted towards Michelin starred Parisian and top NYC places padded my score. I've not done Nobu in London, but I've done New York and Las Vegas and can't imagine it is that much different, so maybe I should claim 9. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Chez Panise doesn't deserve to be #20 these days. I'd put several places in San Francisco above them. If we are rating them for what they have done for food over the last 30 years, sure, Alice is the queen. I don't think you can put them today in the same category as French Laundry, Fluer De Lys, Michael Mina or the Iron Chef guy's place at the Ritz-Carlton. How about the Inn at Little Washington or Le Bec Fin in Philly?

[/ QUOTE ]
When's the last time you went to Le Bec Fin? When I was in college, we used to save up and go there pretty frequently ("Wanna go to a movie?" "No way man! That's 1/5 of a lunch at Le Bec Fin!") and I really enjoyed it. At one point, I'd actually tasted everything on their menu. But, I hear they went noticeably downhill a while ago. Someone told me they're starting to live up to their old standards these days, and I'm tempted to go again if that's true.

FWIW, I've only eaten at Chez Panisse once, but it was nowhere near #20 for me. From what I hear, I had a particularly bad experience.

P.S. Only 2 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]: Chez Panisse (meh), Charlie Trotters (OMFG FANTASTIC)
Old 04-12-2006, 11:43 PM

Not one listed in Asia. What's that? 1/2 the population of the planet? I doubt they are too worried about this list.

(except for one in India)
Old 04-12-2006, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Charlie Trotter's. Tasting menu, f-ing fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

while i agree, uh, it's not like there's a non tasting menu.

as for $500 for two people, you can do far, far less expensive dinners than that. the menus start at like $105 and good bottles of wine can be had starting around $50.

of that list i think i've only been to 1. i am going here on the 15th. honestly surprised it isn't higher up the american restaurant list.

c
Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 PM

Nobu in Dallas is fantastic, I haven't been to any of the other locations but I have been to 3 of the NY restaurants on the list...nothing out of the country though.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When's the last time you went to Le Bec Fin? When I was in college, we used to save up and go there pretty frequently ("Wanna go to a movie?" "No way man! That's 1/5 of a lunch at Le Bec Fin!") and I really enjoyed it. At one point, I'd actually tasted everything on their menu. But, I hear they went noticeably downhill a while ago. Someone told me they're starting to live up to their old standards these days, and I'm tempted to go again if that's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has actually been 6 years ago now since I was last there, so my information is not very current. You either were blatently overcharged at the movies or they used to be a lot cheaper. I can still picture the dessert cart in my mind, though. I had one of the best meals of my life there.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I've only eaten at Chez Panise once, but it was nowhere near #20 for me. From what I hear, I had a particularly bad experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like it, but in my opinion, it is more famous for how they brought the freshest local ingredients to traditional cuisine than for their current standards. I give Alcie Walker all the credit in the world for that ("inventing" California cuisine and all that), but the food they put on the plate today (not to mention the service and ambiance) are just not in the world-class league that this rating suggests.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm clearly a food snob. I've got 8 and I think there are some glaring omissions from the list. The fact that it is heavily weighted towards Michelin starred Parisian and top NYC places padded my score. I've not done Nobu in London, but I've done New York and Las Vegas and can't imagine it is that much different, so maybe I should claim 9. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Chez Panise doesn't deserve to be #20 these days. I'd put several places in San Francisco above them. If we are rating them for what they have done for food over the last 30 years, sure, Alice is the queen. I don't think you can put them today in the same category as French Laundry, Fluer De Lys, Michael Mina or the Iron Chef guy's place at the Ritz-Carlton. How about the Inn at Little Washington or Le Bec Fin in Philly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I could think of a couple of places in SF better than Chez Panise...it was pretty good...but that's all.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:02 AM

I have been to Jean Georges, Daniel, Chez Panisse, Rockpool (only one outside of US for me), Le Bernardin and Grammercy Tavern.

I have been to Nobu in NYC and LV as well.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When's the last time you went to Le Bec Fin? When I was in college, we used to save up and go there pretty frequently ("Wanna go to a movie?" "No way man! That's 1/5 of a lunch at Le Bec Fin!") and I really enjoyed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You either were blatently overcharged at the movies or they used to be a lot cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Movies were expensive and lunch is always cheaper than dinner. I think it used to be under $50, all things considered.

[ QUOTE ]
I can still picture the dessert cart in my mind, though. I had one of the best meals of my life there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes! That dessert cart still stands out in my mind as one of my best food experiences.

Agreed on the Chez Panisse stuff. Alice Waters (and Julia Child) made this country a better place.