Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: *** Official St Louis Cardinals to the 2006 World Series Thread **

This thread has the perfect title. You'd think Cards fans would be sick of them "getting there" with no results, but no, guess not.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:48 PM

Um -- I think the Cards are 2nd to only the Yanks in number of Championships -- I wouldn't call that no results.

B.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um -- I think the Cards are 2nd to only the Yanks in number of Championships -- I wouldn't call that no results.

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the last few years have not been frustrating? Interesting.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:17 PM

Bust.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they've been frustrating of late, but to have Red Sox fans question the results of the Cards is kinda laughable.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please elaborate. After the first month or two, his offense improved dramatically. His defense is top 5 in all of baseball. Plus, he's super young and getting better by the day - it's quite reasonable to assume that in his 2nd full season he'll take a very real step forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple points:

1. Players with neither power or speed only have so far they can develop upward. Molina had a 653 OPS last year; I have him getting up to 679 next year and 702 by age 27, which would make him a second division regular, but still notably below average.

2. I'm not a huge believer in the importance of catcher defense in today's game, mainly because the running game is so de-emphasized. And the studies we've done suggest that there's little if any effect from a catcher's game-calling skills.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they've been frustrating of late, but to have Red Sox fans question the results of the Cards is kinda laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Red Sox are 3rd in total WS titles, 3 behind the Cards. If the Sox had not won in 2004, this thread surely wouldn't be titled, "Get to the WS" with the same stacked team from the last few years.

I feel this should thread should be titled, "Should the Cards dump Tony LaRussa just before the playoffs so we can win the WS?"
Old 03-29-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Red Sox are 3rd in total WS titles, 3 behind the Cards. If the Sox had not won in 2004, this thread surely wouldn't be titled, "Get to the WS" with the same stacked team from the last few years.

I feel this should thread should be titled, "Should the Cards dump Tony LaRussa just before the playoffs so we can win the WS?"

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sox have won 1 World Series title in the last 88 years. The Cardinals have won 9. You should NOT be talking about recent history. You guys finally stop choking in the postseason for one year, and you think you're gods or something.

Hubert(not a Cards fan).

BTW, the Yankees dwarf you in accomplishments, what with 26 rings.

And the RedSox got swept first round by Chitown last year. Yankees made the first round go 5 times, while St Louis made it farther.

But I guess one championship in 88 years is something to brag about, considering how badly your team sucked before then.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. I'm not a huge believer in the importance of catcher defense in today's game, mainly because the running game is so de-emphasized. And the studies we've done suggest that there's little if any effect from a catcher's game-calling skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen Mike Piazza catch? Seriously, his inept catching skills far outweigh what he can bring offensively. I think that there are a lot of ways a good defensive catcher can contribute -- by de-emphisizing a running game even more, picking off runners, blocking balls in the dirt, knowing his pitching staff and calling a good game -- I know you think that is overated but I would disagree.

Finally, with a lineup like the Cards they do not need a ton of production from the catchers spot, but I do think Molina will be much more productive this year, as he will likely not start with 2 horrible months like he did last year.

B.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually agree with you here. I think that LaRussa is a very good regular season coach, and a horrible post-season coach. He even admits to coaching differently in the post-season, and why he does this is beyond me. You would think that he would stick with what got him there instead of all of a sudden toying with the lineup, etc. just because you are in the playoffs. Newsflash Tony, IT HASNT BEEN WORKING FOR YA.

B.