Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Reason for not finishing the story?
Girlfriend found out and killed him! 11 55.00%
Girlfriend found out and killed him! 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Poll: Carbon consumption tax replaces income tax?

I voted Carbon consumption rather than income, because the latter tries to handicap the most successful (ie profitable) rather than true usage/consumption.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM

29 percent would rather have an income tax.

xorbie, they wont have to pay more extra because they wouldnt be paying taxes for their net income.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, the local electric company offered to supply me with electricity that is 90% generated by wind but the cost was 10% higher than I normally would pay...

[/ QUOTE ]

What comapny made this offer/where do you live?

[/ QUOTE ]

Public Service Company of New Mexico. I live in Albuquerque.

[ QUOTE ]
I ask because this is pretty damn close to fraud. Saying that they could guarantee some specific amount of the power that came down your lines into your house came from a specific source is pure BS given only rudimentry knowledge of the electric power distribution grids.

IOW, they are simply asking you to bear a voluntary rate increase and using the popular concern of "enviro impact" as a false advert. This is the harsh buisiness end of MGW theory gone wrong. Sham corps overselling "Carbon Offsets" to green minded indiviuals is one thing, your actual utility provider using similar tactics is beyond ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting and it's a standing offer. I'll try and find a link if they have one. I'm working from memory as they offered it to me in August I believe. It was definitely paying more for electricity and it was 10% if memory serves.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now that you bring this up. Here's a linky to an editorial in the Harvard Crimson criticising Al Gore but in the article it states the following:

Gore and “Green” Goonies

While these superficial efforts by stars to offset their consumption are admirable, they are not a lasting solution. The average American household would have to buy $276,000 a year in carbon credits to counteract their carbon emissions, a price tag few Americans would be able to afford.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. That's roughly twice the GDP of the United States and half the GDP of the entire world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that number is crazy, can't be right. Not sure where the number comes from either.