Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: ZOMG - Gramps Only Took 3.75 Years to Make 1600 Posts!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spoiler alert: Gramps is not 50 years old like i originally assumed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he's older, [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

Oh, one question gramps, how many times did you cry yourself to sleep after I 150% dominated you in the opening round of STTFHUCII en route to a world title belt?

Oh, and would you consider yourself the best STT player at bubble situations with two players already in and decision to hero?

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

First question, since you bring it up, I still have a box of tissues on my nightstand...

Second question, if I'm shortstacked, but cover one of said all-in players, I like my chances of making a good decision.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gramps, you've been at sngs a long time. Most people bounch around to different forms of poker. MTTs, Cash, PLO, etc. Have you done this? If not, how do you handle the mundaness of the same thing day after day?

I know I got really bored with sngs and played like <5000 lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question. I'm the dude who used to play minesweeper an hour/day in college. I can still play Free Cell for an hour or two straight if I'm bored. I mean, SNGs are roughly the same thing over and over but each decision within still has some newness/uniqueness to it.

I usually devise rough goals for the year (adjusting as necessary) and once I invest a lot of energy in attaining said goals, I'm ready to turn on the computer in the morning (or afternoon). I play some MTTs from time-to-time, but I really hate getting stuck on the computer for hours at a time, and/or grinding for hours and getting nothing in return stings my competitive side a little to deeply. I've thought about switching to cash a few times, and have played maybe 5,000 hands of NL$ and think I could do well at it, but I don't think I'd want to play very high stakes, and maybe I could make more $$ but a realistic chance no, and if it ain't broke and I'm not bored with SNGs then I'm not gonna fix it, I guess.

BTW, yes I think I'm a freak for not getting bored with SNGs. Don't know why I am, am glad to be it, but yes it seems pretty unusual.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should i drop out of school? I hate this [censored].

and congrats, love reading your posts and feel that your as big an asset to the forums as any. Also a pleasure meeting you briefly at the WSOP this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never liked memorizing/studying in school, but I liked school, loved college life, and liked learning/taking classes in a bunch of different disciplines, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. Having a degree from somewhere can be a nice form of "credibility" to have in life, kind of retarded that you need that, but a lot of people give you more the benefit of the doubt in things when you have a degree, so unless you have a ready "Plan B" that school is holding you back from, sacking up and getting through probably ain't a bad idea.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tack this on to devins post: what percentage of your poker income is from stts?

Also, if you feel comfortable answering, do you make more from bonuses and stuff or winnings? I know this information is sort of out there anyways.

What common mistakes do good regulars make at high limits?

Thanks for your posts they are all gold, I should be saving more of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's on pace to be about 50/50 this year, which is more winning from non-RB/bonus than I expected this year. The game on Stars & FT have been kind of crappy lately, so maybe RB/bonus will eclipse by year's end. I'm 0 for 2 on $10k/$10,000 Euro MTTs this year, right around even for online MTTs, maybe up $1k in cash, so that would mean STTs account for > 100% of my winnings. Yea SNGs.

Hard to say if there are any common mistakes from "good regulars," I think it mostly comes down to understanding wha other people are doing/thinking, which gives illumination on what their ranges are, and how they will perceive your actions. I'd say what good players at lower levels who haven't been able to move up might struggle more with is playing against people who understand their ranges and adjust to LP/SB pushbotting ways. There's a certain cat-and-mouse game that goes on with that that can be difficult to learn.

Any regular making common mistakes at high limits on a consistent basis won't be a regular for long. It's really, really, really tough these days (really). I just wish Stars took a page out of Full Tilt's book and started making its subsidized pros play more SNGs. Though the FT games are getting [censored] too since only the better pros have been dabbling lately.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gramps, you've been at sngs a long time. Most people bounch around to different forms of poker. MTTs, Cash, PLO, etc. Have you done this? If not, how do you handle the mundaness of the same thing day after day?

I know I got really bored with sngs and played like <5000 lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's really weird is that not only does he just play STTs, and is an old man, he is a very cool guy. W T F

gramps - how many STTs have you played lifetime?

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Over 50,000. Probably closing in on 60,000.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM

What are your opinions of various Bay Area golf courses?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM

I've been waiting for this post for 2+ years.

Gramps is the nutz.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your opinions of various Bay Area golf courses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played most, tend to go wherever there's a good deal to be had and/or close to where whomever I'm playing with lives. Played Harding 50+ times before the redo, it's nicer now but I miss those $20 green fees on the weekend - I remember I switched to putting cross-handed on my longer putts there b/c the greens were more like fairways and I found I got more topspin/a better roll, but the old course was still [censored] for the price (I used to pretened it was a well-manicured course for the 1920s). San Geronimo, Delta View and Deer Ridge I've played a numer of times - if you get out there on a weekday, somtimes there's hardly anyone else out there (which means everyone can go full routine walking off putts, etc. and still play in < 4 hours with a twosome or threesome).

Played Lake Chabot a ton, used to be $5 weekday twilight. Brought in a new greenskeeper a while back and the greens were immaculate for a # of years, but haven't played it in a few so not sure if it's still the hidden jewel of the BA (not great if you don't like hills BTW). I like Tilden a lot b/c the hole designs/visuals really test your ability to think/commit to shots, but it's usually crowded and can be slow (not the 5-6 hour round it used to be everytime, but still slower than most). Mare Island is another great course, I've played it a dozen times and on that first par-3 I've literally hit it in the hazard every single time - most mind-[censored] tee shot for someone with a strong draw - I even tried to lay up last time and pull hooked it into the [censored]. Another good value course that's wide open at times, and one that makes you think/tests your ability to commit to a shot.

There's a bunch more I've played - the only private one I've been on is Lake Merced as a junior, that course was pretty cherry. Would like to get on the Lake Course at Olympic Club here sometime.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM

How do you turn all your FPPs to cash? Concierge? Open an Austin Martin dealership? Build a castle out of plasma tv's and charge visitors from overseas?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quality counts more than quantity and your 1600 posts are some of the highest quality stuff I've read (and mis-applied [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) over the past several years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats poo bah [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All of your posts that I have read have been excellent. Even though I rarely play sng's anymore, I still enjoy your posts.