Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: AQ, very tough hand, what line?

Question to any Carpal/Tunnel etc,

As played, do you think that c/c flop is the best line?
Do you think a c/r can be good without any/few reads in this situation?
Do you see any reason to lead flop?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 PM

I like the way you played the hand, provided you called the river.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just opened up this table, so I have exactly 100BB. Villian covers me. No tells whatsoever.
NL 6-handed 1/2. Hero is dealt AQo.

UTG limps, Villian makes it 10, Hero calls in BB, so does UTG.

Flop: 7 heart, A diamond, 10 clubs.

Hero checks, UTG checks, Villian bets 20 (pot is 31.)
Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn= 9 spade
Hero checks, Villian bets 50, Hero calls.

River= A clubs.
Hero checks, Villian bets All-in.
(Pot is 131, I have 70 left)

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you only have 70 left(50+20+10 = 80, 200-80 = 120)? As played, I'd call 70 into 131 pot. If it's 120 to call I think you can fold
Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you have a hand that is worthy of 3betting in the situation described, yet you'd rather fold it than just call. wtf? that makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the most concise way for me to explain it is this: you need a better hand to call, especially OOP, than you need to raise. Not the other way around.

Depending on the situation AQ might be good enough relative to the opponents' ranges to be good enough to flat. But generally it's not. AQ is a fine hand and has a decent ammount of equity against most ranges here, but it's not a great hand and is still a dog against a very large portion of BN's range. Given the opponent is unknown here, I think its very unwise to flat pre.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
calling preflop is totally fine, especially against an unknown. Once you get to the river you cant ever fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why? We mis the flop a lot and have to fold (maybe the best hand) to his cbet or we hit and we still don't know what to do.

Or are we c/raising dry flops as a bluff as well etc? I find this difficult as Villain is unknown and we are OOP.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
calling preflop is totally fine, especially against an unknown. Once you get to the river you cant ever fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear this as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 PM

Reraise to $25 or fold preflop. If you reraise and get called, then continuation bet for $35 and see what happens. It is such a dry flop that if he pushes, then you basically only beat AJ and a bluff with JJ-KK or worse. Since a bluff seems unlikely, you could find a fold to a push over your continuation bet in that scenario.

As played for the cold call preflop, I think you should donk bet the flop to represent the ace (that you have), and consider giving up the pot if he doesn't go away. Again, you only beat AJ and bluffs at that point (unless he's hanging around with A-rag for top-pair no kicker, but that seems less likely than AT-AK/TT-AA after his big pfr).

As played to the river, and after showing so much weakness throughout the entire hand, you should probably call the river push. I think he's pushing with less than trip aces with a Q kicker at least 35% of the time given how much weakness you've shown throughout the hand.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reraise to $25 or fold preflop. If you reraise and get called, then continuation bet for $35 and see what happens. It is such a dry flop that if he pushes, then you basically only beat AJ and a bluff with JJ-KK or worse. Since a bluff seems unlikely, you could find a fold to a push over your continuation bet in that scenario.

As played for the cold call preflop, I think you should donk bet the flop to represent the ace (that you have), and consider giving up the pot if he doesn't go away. Again, you only beat AJ and bluffs at that point (unless he's hanging around with A-rag for top-pair no kicker, but that seems less likely than AT-AK/TT-AA after his big pfr).

As played to the river, and after showing so much weakness throughout the entire hand, you should probably call the river push. I think he's pushing with less than trip aces with a Q kicker at least 35% of the time given how much weakness you've shown throughout the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this input, but I have one question.
WHY should I donk into him??

He will bet with both missed hands and made hands, is it not better to c/c and gain value when he bets?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM

i sometimes flat with AQ, but only when i have a read on the raiser. new at the table both folding and raising have merit.

i prefer a fold, but raising is good because you will never be 4bet light, so you know where you are alot of the time.

as for the hand, i probably pay off, but it's close
Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh.

See my post above for the whole call vs. re-raise line. Folding preflop == lol.

Bet/folding TP2K in a 3-bet pot is incredibly stupid. You're bluffing with top pair!?

Someone else said:

[ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why? We mis the flop a lot and have to fold (maybe the best hand) to his cbet or we hit and we still don't know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain what magical forces are making me fold whenever I miss. If you never know what to do when you hit, then play more poker. Practice the situation.