Default Re: Albums that needed a few listens

Silver Jews - American Water
Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kid A I got like immediately.
Yankee & Aeroplane are spot on, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kid A I liked everything in right place, kid a, national anthem and optimstic enough when I first listened. Kept idioteque and how to disappear on repeat the rest of the time, and when I got tired of them I would just play the album all the way through. I was really excited for Kid A and got it when it first came out. Can't really explain why but I didn't pay attention at all for next two radiohead releases. Picked them up probably 3-4 years later and barely listened/didn't get into either of them.

Yankee Hotel I loved immediately and much more than any other Wilco I've listened to.

Aeroplane over the sea I periodically pick up and give another try just because I keep hearing so many good things about it, but I am yet to get into it.

Arcade Fire Funeral originally felt like aeroplane does to me now, but I do enjoy it now and absolutely love a few of the tracks.

I feel like there should be 20 more albums to mention, but nothing really coming to me at the moment.

maybe dj shadow entroducing which keeps growing on me and didn't blow me away first listen.

Notwist/Neon Golden seemed pretty inaccessible besides the two tracks I already knew, but I love that album now.

Outkast/aquemini took me awhile since I like the 2nd half much more than the first and was first time I listened to outkast.

and I love this album so much I almost completely forget. Yo La Tengo/and then everything.

Took me awhile to get into them, I owned electr-o-pura when it first came out, liked some of it, but mostly forget about them till I saw a "greatest hits" they put out about 3 years ago. Loved the greatest hits right away, bought heart beating, fakebook, and then everything. Loved heart beating and fakebook right away, actually disliked everything for a long time. Now I don't think I could decide which one I like best, and might just pick and then everything if I was forced to pick one.

Still feel like I should be able to name at least 15 albums that are appropriate, but can't think of any. Probably easiest way to remember would be to recommend a friend to some new music since I feel like that always makes it really obvious which albums are strange/awkward to listen to at first.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mars Volta, Amputechture. Day of the Baphomets has to be one of the most amazing songs ever, and I loathed the song and the group at first.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I never gave that song much of a chance with Aslios Magalena, Tetragammaton, and Viscera Eyes being so damn good. I am going to give it a couple of listens, which is not easy for an 12 minute song.

Edit to add: Mars Volta's albums all fall under this topic. It is very hard for a non-fan to get into this band. But once you do it is worth the effort.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:45 AM

i can definitely agree with "10,000 days" and "in rainbows". they both took me a while but now they're among my favourite albums ever.

to everybody still on the fence about those 2 albums, i suggest buying a really good pair of headphones and listening to those albums through them. listening to well produced albums through headphones is a completly different experience than listening to them through speakers. all the subtleties of the music come through.

i haven't gotten into much new music in the last year or so (apart from in rainbows and the new idlewild album, but those are the only 2 that come to mind) but have recently taken to going back through albums i haven't listened to in years and listening to them through headphones and its been like listening to those albums for the first time all over again.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Weezer: Pinkerton...was expecting another Blue Album and was disappointed at first, but that didn't last long.

105,988 and counting
Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
listening to well produced albums through headphones is a completly different experience than listening to them through speakers. all the subtleties of the music come through.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. This even works for albums that are already a favorite. I recently rediscovered The Downward Spiral through headphones. Amazing.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM

The two that define this for me are:

Weezer-Pinkerton
Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

There are some others that fit this thread but these two albums I put down and it was months before I gave a second listen and every time I listened to it again the album became better and better.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Radiohead - Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

It's weird to me that a few people have picked Pinkerton and ITAOTS. Both those albums are so catchy I loved them pretty much instantly.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Claunchy,

I have actually never talked about ITAOTS and this w/ anyone else before but I have talked w/ a lot of people about Pinkerton who have said the same thing.

I think Pinkerton has to do w/ what Assani said, expectations. It was so much different than the Blue Album but in a completely awesome way--I just needed a couple listens to recognize its greatness.

For me ITAOTS was different than anything I had heard before and I was turned off by Mangum's voice the first time I listened. I don't know what changed each time I listened thereafter but it did.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:07 PM

jay-z's black album. didn't really like it, now one of my favs.