Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on NFL in London/cross country sporting pollination

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised we don't call the Super Bowl something like the World Championship. Like baseball, World Series my ass

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The World Series crowns the best baseball team in the world*

2) The best baseball players in the world play in the USA.

How is it not a world championship?

*Discounting variance and whatnot. Whoever wins the World Series is still better than any non-MLB team.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised we don't call the Super Bowl something like the World Championship. Like baseball, World Series my ass

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The World Series crowns the best baseball team in the world*

2) The best baseball players in the world play in the USA.

How is it not a world championship?

*Discounting variance and whatnot. Whoever wins the World Series is still better than any non-MLB team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball is an American sport. Most players are Americans. Some are hispanic, and few are Asian. Few people outside the U.S. give a [censored] about the World Series. It's an American sport, an American pastime and calling is a "world" anything is a bit arrogant.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Making this an argument about soccer is silly.
Some people hate soccer and think it's a dumb sport. Fine...we get that. Just stop whining about how much you don't like it in every thread. Don't watch it if you don't like it. No biggie.

I was in London in 1990 and met some various people at a BBQ/picnic/gathering thing. Sitting around drinking beers with a bunch of Brits I was blown away by how much they knew about American football. "Denver Broncos...John Elway...blah blah blah." They asked where I was from and when I said Cincinnati they knew that was where the Bengals are from even if they had no idea where Cincinnati is. I described it as being about 6 hours southeast of Chicago.

Many might not know all the rules, etc. But they do show the games over there and some people actually do watch.
90k attending some random NFL game that they are getting kind of proves there is some significant interest.

Back to the football/soccer thing really quick:
My GF is from South America so knows nothing of American football. Took her and her Dad to the Liberty Bowl last year and they now get the basic concepts like "yellow flag = penalty" and the very basics of scoring and 4 plays to get 10 yards, etc.

They kind of get it but overall it definitely gets pretty complicated. And when you watch it live and your eyes aren't trained to follow the fake handoffs and stuff it gets difficult to tell what's going on at all.

She doesn't care about sports at all but obviously can understand soccer. Anyone can.
Without knowing anything of offside or other infractions you can understand that when someone dives forward at the ball and heads it into the net that's a goal.

You don't have to understand any of the strategy to get soccer.
And I also don't think you need to get THAT much about American football to enjoy it either.
Really no different than someone like my mom who went to and would watch a ton of UW and Green Bay games and still cheers for them even though she has no idea what clipping is or why some TD was disallowed, etc.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 PM

Useless trivia:

First player to score points in an NFL game in Britain is British [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 10-28-2007, 01:35 PM

lol @ having it at the same time as the Liverpool v Arsenal football match when the vast majority will be watching that.

way to promote the game over here
Old 10-28-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the NFL was trying to make themselves look good why the [censored] would they send the Dolphins and the Giants over

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't sending the Giants and Dolphins over. They are sending New York and Miami over, two known cities. Brits are likely less familiar with Indianapolis, Carolina, etc.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the NFL was trying to make themselves look good why the [censored] would they send the Dolphins and the Giants over

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't sending the Giants and Dolphins over. They are sending New York and Miami over, two known cities. Brits are likely less familiar with Indianapolis, Carolina, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You underestimate the branding of the Giants and Dolphins.

We started getting football in the early/mid 80s so they were two of the first teams to get names over here. (Along with the Bears and possibly even the Broncos)
Old 10-28-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm against a super bowl there because the economic benefit should go to an American city.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:02 PM

Football is obviously way easier to understand than NFL. Come on, that much is clear.

I'm not sure how much of the interest is due to novelty value and how much due to followers of the sport. I suspect the former is the major factor. Superbowl would be a HUGE event tho I think.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Are you the poster formerly known as Dean?
What's up with the name change?