Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Beat: You\'re Grimstarr

the idea for the site is really cool. I don't think its a bad thing at all. Any decent player is going to know roughly what my VPIP and PFR is after 30 hands anyway.

The database is pretty bad though. The biggest winner at FTP 25/50 this week isin't even up 1 full buyin? WTF? When i search myself there I don't come up. According tot he data (which seems obviously wrong) they have I should be on of the biggest winners at stars 25/50 this week but I'm not even on the list.

If this site ends up working properly I think it will be a huge hit. I think advertising it at this point it is a big mistake.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 AM

OK. Fine, im gonna spell it out for you who actually like the idea.

It is bad because the fish will find out just how much they are losing.

Its easy for them to decieve themselves that they are "about even" or "not down that much" - this is why Sharkscope was bad (and as im sure we all know often led to people calling out the fish for being bad when they made a mistake and sucked out). This will be doubley bad for cash games and i wont be particularly effected by this.

They should only track the top 2% or something like that - people can use it for brag value, 2% doesnt sound like a lot (yet only like 5% win online) and it would be a positive advertising force.

As it is, for one example, we have people like the OP who is calling out someone for losing in this thread (not saying grimm doesnt deserve it, yada yada etc, but its the thin end of the wedge).

How can you EVER think this is good for poker?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 AM

You can hate on the guy all you want but he's far from a poor player.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Its easy for them to decieve themselves that they are "about even" or "not down that much" - this is why Sharkscope was bad (and as im sure we all know often led to people calling out the fish for being bad when they made a mistake and sucked out). This will be doubley bad for cash games and i wont be particularly effected by this.

They should only track the top 2% or something like that - people can use it for brag value, 2% doesnt sound like a lot (yet only like 5% win online) and it would be a positive advertising force.

As it is, for one example, we have people like the OP who is calling out someone for losing in this thread (not saying grimm doesnt deserve it, yada yada etc, but its the thin end of the wedge).

[/ QUOTE ]

phil, if a fish is losing thousands than what would it matter if he could see it or not? he's still playing, he'll continue to play.

as far as being tracked, you can email them and have them not track you anymore (opting out). All sites that track players must comply with this, and if they do not, send an email to FTP and FTP will bash their heads in until ur off their list.

this is standard, and when i tried to setup a site like this i was told by stars i could but had to have an opt out option for players who did not want to be tracked.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 AM

Ban op
Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

phil, if a fish is losing thousands than what would it matter if he could see it or not? he's still playing, he'll continue to play.

as far as being tracked, you can email them and have them not track you anymore (opting out). All sites that track players must comply with this, and if they do not, send an email to FTP and FTP will bash their heads in until ur off their list.

this is standard, and when i tried to setup a site like this i was told by stars i could but had to have an opt out option for players who did not want to be tracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you are - as someone who is on the "other side" of poker (i.e. aware of website like this; aware of the benefit of pokertracker; practising br management; etc - massively underestimating how oblivious some people are to the actual amount they are down.

And remember - money flows up in poker, not down. The percentages of regulars who would be smart enough not to call a whale out at the tables will rise as you move up beyond 2 / 4. But you know that sites like this will be brought up by the cretins who break even at 0.50 / 1 and 1 / 2 after they take some horrible beat. i.e those that spend more of their time in BBV than the strat forums.

So the guy who deposits $500 a month and busts it might hear this at the tables, check it out for himself and not bother with his deposit next month. That is why any site that makes the winnings and losings of players a matter of public record is a really bad thing for online poker. Particularly in an environment where it is harder for US players to deposit - and when they are limited in the sites they can use.

People should be able to use Pokertracker - and keep their own records. And never, ever tap the tank. Or support anything that will lessen the enjoyment and blissful ignorance of losing players.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I already said, because I can use it as a tool to publically ridicule people, which can always be a good tilt inducer. I also think you're grossly overstating the downside. I predict I will lose out on approximately $0/month from the existence of this site. Fish are dumb, and besides, for every one fish that might go to a site like that to check up on himself, there are 20 that are busted within a week and never come back or who don't care enough to ever look at a site like that, because they have no sense of intellectual curiosity and are, as I said, dumb.

So, to sum up:

Pros<ul type="square">[*]Free, ginormous database.[*]Tool to ridicule people. [*]Has lots of potential to improve.[/list]
Cons<ul type="square">[*]I lose approximately $0/month in income.[*]People are already whining about it.[/list]
Progress happens, people. You either adjust and adapt or you whine about it like Lars Ulrich crying about people downloading music for free on the internet.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I already said, because I can use it as a tool to publically ridicule people, which can always be a good tilt inducer. I also think you're grossly overstating the downside. I predict I will lose out on approximately $0/month from the existence of this site. Fish are dumb , and besides, for every one fish that might go to a site like that to check up on himself, there are 20 that are busted within a week and never come back or who don't care enough to ever look at a site like that, because they have no sense of intellectual curiosity and are, as I said, dumb.

So, to sum up:

Pros<ul type="square">[*]Free, ginormous database.[*]Tool to ridicule people. [*]Has lots of potential to improve.[/list]
Cons<ul type="square">[*]I lose approximately $0/month in income.[*]People are already whining about it.[/list]
Progress happens, people. You either adjust and adapt or you whine about it like Lars Ulrich crying about people downloading music for free on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot. And, as an added bonus, you sound like a douche. Congrats!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 PM

pretty sneaky spam
BAN
Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM

this proves nath is a terrible player