Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: LASIK Vision Correction

had it done Feb '04. Went from 20/95 to 20/15 both eyes. If you live in the Northeast, I recommend NOT going through the Lasik Vision Institute. "$199/eye" is meaningless because that's only if your current vision is 20/40 or better. In other words, you wouldn't need the surgery anyway. I paid $1400/eye going through a respected opthamologist North of Boston.

Dry eyes usually only effect you if you had dry eyes to begin with. My brother had dry eyes before surgery and actually doesn't even use any drops now. Biggest thing I've found, make sure to have all your follow-up appts with an opthamologist (including yearly eye exams), not an optometrist.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM

Haven't read every response, but I had LASIK done over 1.5 years ago.

I went from being blind without glasses to having 20/20 (still do after 1.5 years). It's a pretty painless procedure, although I was freaking out and sweating like crazy while strangling some stuffed animal they gave me to hold on to. After the surgery you basically go home, wear some ugly goggles, and sleep for a few days. The goggles are annoying since moisture builds up in there, but after a week you are done with them and can see fine.

You take drops for a month. My eyes feel fine and I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. It's so awesome just being able to see when you're swimming or in the shower. Also, you are allowed to wear sunglasses like normal people!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:11 PM

got it done 2 years ago, recommend it unequivocally. Possibly one of my top 10 life decisions.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
got it done 2 years ago, recommend it unequivocally. Possibly one of my top 10 life decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also 18-19 at the time and they had no problem with me doing it.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey for you guys that had PRK, how long was it before you were seeing good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had PRK done in Jan-04.

The first day of recovery hurts. It's like having sand in your eyes. Take the pain meds, turn off the lights, and grit your teeth. Second day is better, and it's all down hill from there.

I could drive 3 days later, about 20/40 or so. Took about 2 months for everything to heal completely, and I was 20/15 in both eyes afterwards.

Best money I ever spent.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 PM

I did it in Sweden 5 months ago and went from -4,5 and -5 to 0,9/1.0 I'm very happy I did it. I would guess most serious clinics are good today, what have developed the most is the after treatment which is crucial if you want good results/no complications.

In Sweden we have many methods, the two most common are Lasik and Lasek. I'm busy right now so I have no time to see which one is which but I did the one where they do not cut up a lid with laser. They desribed this method as an "american instant success" type of method (basically you do it go home and feel fine IF everything goes according to plan) while the one method I picked is more a "safe european method". The flipside with this one is that it hurts more (the days after) and takes sometimes up to a year to see perfectly(you will still make it without glasses after a week or so). With this method though the risk of infections and major complications are minimal. I got lucky and had perfect eye vision after 3-4 weeks (I managed after day two) and I had no pain.

As long as the clinic seems serious and you really really stick to the after treatment (I had to put eyedrops every 5 minutes for the first 24h for example) I think you will have good results and obviously then be happy with the results. It is a great feeling afterwards!

/Kex
Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 AM

I was 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 within a week after PRK, started out something like 20/1000+, I don't even know the actual numbers but it was bad. I don't think that's typical, the doc was surprised at how fast it healed, but I guess I run good. There was some definite deterioration throughout the day though, I'd wake up seeing clear and as the day went on things would get a little blurrier. That gradually went away though and wasn't noticeable after a few weeks. Again though, I don't think I'm typical.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't want to side-track the discussion, but is there any method/exercise that people can use to strengthen their eyes and improve their vision?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

and if someone tells you yes, they are a charlatan.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:06 AM

I had it done almost 5 yrs ago, I'm 25 now. Just had a physical and found my vision is 20/25 left eye, 20/10 right eye. I'm thinking of cutting the left eye out for being a slacker!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM

I went to the most expensive place I could find in Beverly Hills. Total was $4800 with a discount no less since my dad has done business with the doctor.

I was scared out of my mind. It felt like Clockwork Orange. I took twice as much valium as they told me and it did nothing since I was so amped.

Still, I managed to sit still and it went relatively smoothly. There was a slight tear which freaked me out, but it healed quickly.

It is incredible to not get up in the morning and have to search for glasses. Or see while swimming. Or just go buy a pair of sunglasses. Or play golf without them and having to switch back and forth with glasses depending on the sun. I could go on and on.

Best.SURGERY.ever