Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Preflop, Newbie Questions

people actually fold QQ preflop these days?

i think you have to call flop bet on hand one if your willing to call preflop. but it makes your hand pretty transparent.

hand 2 i prefer just calling preflop and getting it in on a safe flop if he is really nitty. if not i dont mind 4 betting either
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. First, where do you draw the line? I don't see a lot of people stacking off for 100bbs with JJ but certainly nobody would argue that four betting QQ from the button would be a bluff. What about JJ? TT? AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against some players 4-betting qq from the button is a bluff as well. If you are 4-betting for value the important thing is their CALLING range, not their 3-betting range. I would consider 4-betting AK a semi-bluff.

Would you 4-bet 22 here? Against most opponents, it has the same value. It may be that you think 4-betting any two cards is profitable here. In that case go for it. I bluff 4-bet my hands that don't have enough value to call though.

I suppose it depends how willing you are to make a play on the flop. If someone is 3-betting you so wide that they can have any high card and will stack with tpwk, then I suppose 4-betting 99 pre can be valuable, because you'll have no clue how to play the flop.

FWIW, I don't usually 4-bet JJ or TT either, unless I'm pretty sure he's calling/stacking light. Trying to take the lead back by 4-betting is kind of useless because you're committing too much of your stack to the pot to be able to get away.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Yeah the tweener hands like 88, 99, aq are an interesting spot when we get three bet. Tbh I think if we are getting 3 bet by a huge range, both calling in position and making a smallish four bet are fine. I lean towards a smallish four bet when out of position or if I don't have a good feel on how villain plays postflop. If I know how villain plays postflop and/or have position, I like taking a flop and playing poker. I think calling is optimal, but 4 betting is more unexploitable, and the less we know about the villlain's postflop play, the more we need to be leaning towards an unexploitable line rather than an optimal line.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 PM

1st is an easy fold, if you're gonna play it then go all in though (note: i'm talking about on the flop. preflop was played well/standard)

2nd one vs teddy normally just fold, but if you've been raising him at all then 4bet small enough to present the illusion of fold equity (and obv call a shove) - he can get pretty nutso if you aggravate him even in the slightest.