Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This world is going down the gutter and it's not because of CO2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree...it's because of overpopulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I allowed to use this in arguments with Christians and people (like InTheDark and IronUnkind) who claim that the Christian philosophy >>>> secularism? IOW, I can throw out the Crusades and the Inquisition and all of that and just use this argument for why religion is the most destructive force on Earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

over population? i guess if it was an actual problem, then i suppose you could.

but, you atheist folks will argue, regardless, so argue on...
Old 10-13-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I allowed to use this in arguments with Christians and people (like InTheDark and IronUnkind) who claim that the Christian philosophy >>>> secularism? IOW, I can throw out the Crusades and the Inquisition and all of that and just use this argument for why religion is the most destructive force on Earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to pay attention, I am arguing with Phil, who is also an atheist.

FWIW overpopulation isn't really a problem right NOW but could become one in the near future. So I don't really know what your point was on that front either.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW overpopulation isn't really a problem right NOW but could become one in the near future. So I don't really know what your point was on that front either.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does you telling me that "Phil" is an atheist change anything i said??

maybe you're the one not paying attention.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe I just assumed you were actually trying to make some kind of point. Besides the "overpopulation isn't a problem" comment, what exactly was the point of your statement "but you atheists will argue..."
Old 10-13-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe I just assumed you were actually trying to make some kind of point. Besides the "overpopulation isn't a problem" comment, what exactly was the point of your statement "but you atheists will argue..."

[/ QUOTE ]

no big deal. maybe i am running in circles here. i saw the overpopulation quote and then the hit on christians. i see people bring up the overpopulation excuse and it makes me wince a little...

the athiest arguing statement is neither here nor there. although you guys seem to be very defensive and militant, to me, about your views...
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know the Nobel organization gave out a prize for fiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. Unreal.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No he doesn't seem to care about future generation - that's the point. If he really did then climate change is almost irrelevent. Possibly more than irrelevnt in that the future generations tend to do rather well from disasters in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument is absurd on its face. Or, at the least, suggests that we should be actively causing disasters for the betterment of humanity. Who's taking donations so we can steer big asteroids INTO collision paths?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

living through WW1/2 etc was a disaster for huge numbers of people - THEIR would did fall into the gutter. A few generations later it makes not a jot of difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
The past makes more than a jot of difference on the present. The colonization and arbitrary border drawing done by European powers, for example, continues to cause a ton of problems. Iraq and Israel/Palestine are the ones most currently relevant.

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly more than irrelevnt in that the future generations tend to do rather well from disasters in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
In some cases, such as developing disease immunities, but certainly not in all cases.

[ QUOTE ]
What scientist in the field are saying climate change matters a jot to future generations. What calamity are they predicting for those born in 2500?

[/ QUOTE ]
First, how are those suffering during the crisis and the aftermath not "future generations"? You are equating "future generations" with "all future generations". Saying someone cares about future generations does not mean their given specific concerns must be relevant for those in the year 5000. This is a nitpick, but it seems to render the argument between you two somewhat irrelevant.

Second, many things from 500 years ago still affect us and I see no reason to believe that there would be no negative consequences on those living in 2500 from a major climate change disaster of the past. That seems more likely to me than the other way around. This can't be proven, but it can be speculated on. Why do you feel they'd likely be better off?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:54 PM

The world is not overopulated. Most of the scarciies attributed to overpopulation are better explaind by political arrangements.

[He said, hoping to elicit a Feeney sighting.]
Old 10-13-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The world is not overopulated. Most of the scarciies attributed to overpopulation are better explaind by political arrangements.

[He said, hoping to elicit a Feeney sighting.]

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but I think the point is not that we're overpopulated currently. It's that the population is growing exponentially and the world will soon be overpopulated.