Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Rockies Fans Are The Greatest Bandwagoners Of All Time

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, let me add some historical perspective.

An older guy in my office claims that, during the years in the 1960s when the Yankees were in the World Series, it was possible to buy tickets up to the same day of the game. I have no idea if this is true, but it sounded interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe those tickets were for day games. People have jobs.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:36 PM

All I know is there are like no regular SE posters who are Rockies fans and then within the last couple weeks you can't go 5 feet without seeing a Rockies avatar.

It doesn't bother me, though. I think the D-Backs are worse. They've won a championship just 6 years ago and are back in the hunt with a bunch of young quality guys and the stadium is like 20% empty and it was really quiet last night. Looked like a bunch of pasty old people just relaxing in the stands. Then fake, overdramatic emotion with the interference call.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At least they sell out playoff games, can't say the same thing about the Diamondbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, we didn't sell what, a thousand tickets out of fifty thousand? So the Rockies fans are so much better because they actually bought those last thousand tickets?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Selling out often indicates that there are more fans who are interested in getting tix but can't. Not selling out, well, that's just sad.

I agree with your overall point. Both fan bases are rather pathetic. I agree it manifests itself here with Rox fans galore coming out of the woodwork, and the stadium being packed now after it was pretty much dead for 5 months of this season.

But outside of a handful of sports towns, that's just how it seems to work these days, especially in baseball.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't bother me, though. I think the Astros are worse. They've won a championship never and are not back in the hunt with a bunch of old guys and the stadium is like 100% empty because the season is over for them and it was really quiet last night for obvious reasons. Looked like a bunch of janitors just relaxing in the stands. Then fake, overdramatic emotion with the the fake, oversized train beyond left field.

[/ QUOTE ]
Subtle yet accurate FYP. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I know is there are like no regular SE posters who are Rockies fans and then within the last couple weeks you can't go 5 feet without seeing a Rockies avatar.

It doesn't bother me, though. I think the D-Backs are worse. They've won a championship just 6 years ago and are back in the hunt with a bunch of young quality guys and the stadium is like 20% empty and it was really quiet last night. Looked like a bunch of pasty old people just relaxing in the stands. Then fake, overdramatic emotion with the interference call.

[/ QUOTE ]

So sick how quiet it was there. When it was still a game at 1-1, you could hear a pin drop.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, let me add some historical perspective.

An older guy in my office claims that, during the years in the 1960s when the Yankees were in the World Series, it was possible to buy tickets up to the same day of the game. I have no idea if this is true, but it sounded interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe those tickets were for day games. People have jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

As was the Thursday game where we polished off our 4 game sweep of the Dodgers. There may have only been 23,000 fans in attendance, but damn near half of them had brooms, and yes, it was a day game in a town where a lot of people actually work for a living (unlike that retirement haven of Phoenix, apparentely).

Also, as an aside, our attendance figured have gone up each of the last two years, and that was the case for this year even prior to the Wild Card tiebreaker game.

On the contrary, I'd say the fans have been slowing coming back for years. Our average attendance figures:

2005 - 23,944
2006 - 25,999
2007 - 28,978

2005, of course, corresponds to the first year of Generation R, when Atkins, Hawpe, Holliday, Francis were all in their first full years.

Colin Cowherd is a tool who a) doesn't know or care anything about anything west of the Mississippi, and b) doesn't let the facts stand in the way of a sound bite.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a day game in a town where a lot of people actually work for a living (unlike that retirement haven of Phoenix, apparentely).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sick burn, apparentely.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't bother me, though. I think the Astros are worse. They've won a championship never and are not back in the hunt with a bunch of old guys and the stadium is like 100% empty because the season is over for them and it was really quiet last night for obvious reasons. Looked like a bunch of janitors just relaxing in the stands. Then fake, overdramatic emotion with the the fake, oversized train beyond left field.

[/ QUOTE ]
Subtle yet accurate FYP. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what you want, but the Astros have great, supportive, loud fans.

They drew 3.02 Million fans this season with a 73-89 record in a stadium that seats about 43K.

Boom! Fix'at post Mo Fukka! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 PM

I'd like to hear OP's view on Rutgers fans.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM

I used to really like Colin but he has made some really dumb statements lately.

Before the SD/COL playoff game he went on a long rant about how unfair this was to Peavy because he wouldn't be able to pitch game one of the NLDS. How the Pads were getting jobbed by the playoff game and how a tiebreak would be much more fair to SD. Except that the Rockies would have any conventional tiebreak so Peavy wouldn't be able to pitch at all if they broke the tie. Was really absurd.