Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Need Help finding something to believe in

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty sounds like you only need two things.

1. Exercise: Believe me, exercise is the true great depression fighter

2. Something you can be confident about: This is much different than meaning, but more important to the individual. you need something that will build your self esteem. Of course life is meaningless, if you think your worthless. Basically you need to find a hobby, not meaning

[/ QUOTE ]
i dunno...it's not like i don't have hobbies. I play poker, i play hockey once or twice a week, I go out with friends (albeit far less than i used to), i play pool....All stuff that used to matter to me. Now it just doesn't. Do you see why "getting a hobby" just doesn't seem to be it for me?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2. Something you can be confident about: This is much different than meaning, but more important to the individual. you need something that will build your self esteem. Of course life is meaningless, if you think your worthless. Basically you need to find a hobby, not meaning

[/ QUOTE ]
i dunno...it's not like i don't have hobbies. I play poker, i play hockey once or twice a week, I go out with friends (albeit far less than i used to), i play pool....All stuff that used to matter to me. Now it just doesn't. Do you see why "getting a hobby" just doesn't seem to be it for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'.m sorry the use of the word "hobby" was a little loose. To put it in perspective, do you think you are a really good hockey player, do you have any goals related to hockey?
What about poker, are you excelling, do you believe that one day, you could win a gold bracelate, possibly next year?

This is one I mean by hobby, you need something in your life worth working for, that gives something back for the energy you put in. Not just the joy of doing it, but the possibility of a better tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Married people tend to be happier. On average.
Unfortunately one can't just walk down to the store and purchase an intimate relationship. But it could be something to work towards.

Once I finish school I'm going to pursue a career in non-profit work, because while the pay isn't high I think I'd be happier feeling like my work had some meaning to it. You could consider volunteering for a charity or cause. You may not feel strongly about any such things at the moment, but with a little research I'm sure you could fire yourself up a bit. Plus you'd meet new people and it may be the case that your current social relationships aren't wholly satisfactory.

Pay attention to diet and exercise. If everything fails you could try medication.

It doesn't sound to me like a hobby is what you need. I mean if something like poker is all you live for then the losses/downswings will really hit you hard. I generally don't allow myself to play when I'm depressed.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'.m sorry the use of the word "hobby" was a little loose. To put it in perspective, do you think you are a really good hockey player, do you have any goals related to hockey?
What about poker, are you excelling, do you believe that one day, you could win a gold bracelate, possibly next year?

This is one I mean by hobby, you need something in your life worth working for, that gives something back for the energy you put in. Not just the joy of doing it, but the possibility of a better tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]
well i'm not going to be a recognized poker player ever, but i make okay money (more than i could with any job at the moment). I just play hockey for "fun", it always used to be fun but now it just kills a few hours.

Volunteering is something i plan to look into. I like watching shows like Intervention and shows that focus on Autistic children. Not sure if it's that i like feeling sorry for people, or if i feel like i'm somehow better than the people showcased...maybe a bit of both? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2007, 11:15 PM

We desire perfect happiness but can never attain to it in this life. Trying to attain it often causes much grief. Why have the desire without the fulfillment? Why willfully strive for things that cannot be reached? You should believe in getting your money back from the psychiatrist. Then ask the God you don't believe in to give you the grace of divine wisdom if he exists.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So SMP, what i'm asking is, what do you believe in? If you're an atheist (which i'm fairly certain a large portion of you are), how do you cope with the emptiness of life?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in a good sandwich.

But if you need more, work out. Everyone is right about that, exhausted endorphined people don't have time to be depressed.

Don't just post in a forum and hope for a magic cure. Wake up tomorrow and take a 5 mile walk if you can't run. IF you can run get your heart rate up and keep it up for 20 minutes.

Personally I would consider a dog too. I tend to find myself far more functional when something depends on me. Plus it'll help with the exercise.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 PM

try to [censored] as many women as possible. This is the ultimate goal in life.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just play hockey for "fun", it always used to be fun but now it just kills a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow dude. This feels like it came right out of subconscious. I feel the same way. Do something just for the sake that there isn’t anything else to do anyways, just to waste time.

I’m guessing you are an ex-Christian? I am and have felt that emptiness. It’s so easy to be happy with your life when you feel you are blessed and will live forever in a utopia in the sky with all your family and friends as well as an all loving God. Once logic points you away from that being reality you suddenly lost that happiness.

I think what me and you need to do is find out what we really want in life. After all life is short, at least compared to eternity. We must find something we truly love. But as for me I haven’t found that yet. In the meantime I have made good meaningful relationships with a few friends that have really helped at least cut down on the emptiness.

Perhaps people itself replaces the emptiness. The warmth of a women. The loyalty and trustworthiness of a close friend. The simple act of a good deed/charity. The simple enjoyment of recreational interaction with other members of the human race.

The short life thing is a catch 22. Yeah, it sucks we only get a limited time of life, but that makes it that much more important to go out enjoy what we only have for a limited time! So we really need to stop posting on message boards and go out and find what we really truly enjoy and love about life before it passes us by! I bet if Biggie could speak right now he’d say he wishes he could come back to life and do what he loves.

Hope this helped, I’m not a great writer and in general I don’t think I’m to great at getting a message across.

Good luck
Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, for starters i'm an atheist. I think that life is pretty meaningless and when you die, thats it, you're dead. Today i talked to my shrink about it for a while. She said that i need to find something to believe in (she mentioned that god was obv not the answer for me), so i could shake deep depression. When i prodded her on what to believe, she said that she couldn't tell me, that i'd have to figure it out for myself and ask others what they believe in.

So SMP, what i'm asking is, what do you believe in? If you're an atheist (which i'm fairly certain a large portion of you are), how do you cope with the emptiness of life?

[/ QUOTE ]
just distract yourself like everyone else does...

photography, travel, surfing, charity, science, or a number of other hobbies.

its not like you are going to stumble upon meaning one day, its all just a bunch of distractions, might as well make the most of it.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 AM

Find a way to help people who need it. Volunteer, set up a project, or just wander around looking for ways to make other people happier. And remember, it's a slow process.