Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Being Told \"you have a problem\"

My stock answer when someone suggests I have a gambling problem:
"Problem? Baby, I got the gambling solution!"

Usually gets a laugh, and then we change the subject.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My stock answer when someone suggests I have a gambling problem:
"Problem? Baby, I got the gambling solution!"

Usually gets a laugh, and then we change the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like to use "Problem Gamblers that Win are called Professionals."
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tell them a little story
of a man named lucky jim
who lives under the stair in his mother's house
and has soupstains down his chin

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it!

The poem, or the life? I'm not sure
Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Aside from my mom, who ultimately seems indifferent about money to begin with (good thing) and seems on the fence between her beliefs and her apparent undying support of her son, I have learned to STFU entirely about poker. Every once in a while, I have to say something - if I make a nice score or I do something cool - but the tremendous amount of indifference toward my growing success and my ass busting work to learn the math and logic of the game, silent judgment, subconcious hope that their understanding of the game will supersede mine (the "what did you lose?" philosophy), et al. has made me entirely hopeless in sharing something I love with some of my closest friends.

With respect to that, it sucks, because basically your friends are telling you "Well, I'm your friend, but here is our medium of discussion and beliefs, so, well, keep the [censored] inside that, thnx."

It sucks, because being misunderstood on something that I care about and enjoy totally sucks. I'd like to speak with loved ones and friends about the 6 hours I spent last night trying to win the 24K guaranteed, the pushes and moves I made to keep alive with crap cards, only to lose outside the final table on a resteal against a hyper aggro player who had AKs. A "congratulations, man" or "Hey, how did the work that YOU DID last night" would be nice. But, basically, nobody understands. You'd think sharing an achievement like that would be lauded; instead, it's like I did something wrong.

I got into a argument with my mom the other day because, for the first time in like 7 months, I was visibly miffed that I was running bad. She reverted back to "when you're playing, you're not doing work" philosophy. Thanks - I guess making $340 in 5 hours (that's not a brag, I'm just happy with my result, fwiw) is me just playing with my dick and watching Seinfeld.

Just as people like TV or movies or beer or cars or tofu, some people just [censored] love logic and numbers and games. What are they gonna do? Not like them? Well, I [censored] love logic and numbers, and therefore, I really enjoy poker. They sponge into my brain, they make me feel like [censored] for making mistakes and they make me feel sharp and intelligent and disciplined when I understand them and do well by them. Being apart of a well streamed logical vortex and competing in a game is like a religious experience for me - I feel close to a fundamental aspect of my existence. Also, I enjoy chaos and the sourness that comes along with a good 4 or 5 hour session. Is that a "problem?" I don't know. I guess. I really wish it wasn't - there should be room for both me and for that person without a "problem" who likes his office job, his home, his car, and his pending marriage.

Barry
Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM

I've been told "you have a problem" hundreds of times...used to bug me, doesn't anymore.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Background...
1 year ago, I decided to play poker as a PT job.
Today, still doing it, and doing well..
Playing about 4 hours per night.
Talked to some family members about how I was earning XX per hour playing poker...
They told me I had a problem because I play too much...my one cousing, who works two part time jobs and goes to school, said.."you have a problem, but thats great!" Anyone else get this?
Maybe I should keep it to myself and my girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you are a sad person with a gambling addiction, welcome to the club [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also dont talk to numbers to ppl oustide poker. They just dont get it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being apart of a well streamed logical vortex and competing in a game is like a religious experience for me - I feel close to a fundamental aspect of my existence.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, loaded statement. I like it and can relate.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from my mom, who ultimately seems indifferent about money to begin with (good thing) and seems on the fence between her beliefs and her apparent undying support of her son, I have learned to STFU entirely about poker. Every once in a while, I have to say something - if I make a nice score or I do something cool - but the tremendous amount of indifference toward my growing success and my ass busting work to learn the math and logic of the game, silent judgment, subconcious hope that their understanding of the game will supersede mine (the "what did you lose?" philosophy), et al. has made me entirely hopeless in sharing something I love with some of my closest friends.

With respect to that, it sucks, because basically your friends are telling you "Well, I'm your friend, but here is our medium of discussion and beliefs, so, well, keep the [censored] inside that, thnx."

It sucks, because being misunderstood on something that I care about and enjoy totally sucks. I'd like to speak with loved ones and friends about the 6 hours I spent last night trying to win the 24K guaranteed, the pushes and moves I made to keep alive with crap cards, only to lose outside the final table on a resteal against a hyper aggro player who had AKs. A "congratulations, man" or "Hey, how did the work that YOU DID last night" would be nice. But, basically, nobody understands. You'd think sharing an achievement like that would be lauded; instead, it's like I did something wrong.

I got into a argument with my mom the other day because, for the first time in like 7 months, I was visibly miffed that I was running bad. She reverted back to "when you're playing, you're not doing work" philosophy. Thanks - I guess making $340 in 5 hours (that's not a brag, I'm just happy with my result, fwiw) is me just playing with my dick and watching Seinfeld.

Just as people like TV or movies or beer or cars or tofu, some people just [censored] love logic and numbers and games. What are they gonna do? Not like them? Well, I [censored] love logic and numbers, and therefore, I really enjoy poker. They sponge into my brain, they make me feel like [censored] for making mistakes and they make me feel sharp and intelligent and disciplined when I understand them and do well by them. Being apart of a well streamed logical vortex and competing in a game is like a religious experience for me - I feel close to a fundamental aspect of my existence. Also, I enjoy chaos and the sourness that comes along with a good 4 or 5 hour session. Is that a "problem?" I don't know. I guess. I really wish it wasn't - there should be room for both me and for that person without a "problem" who likes his office job, his home, his car, and his pending marriage.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great post, gj
Old 10-12-2007, 06:26 PM

The question I get most often is variations on, "Online poker? How do you get money on there since they shut it down?" My stock answer to that is, "I have no idea how to deposit. When I withdraw, the checks cash just fine, though."

My family doesn't "get" poker in any sort of deep way, but they trust me when I tell them it's a beatable game. They're all very educated people, so I can explain, at a high level how it works (odds, etc) and they can follow. While they don't see how it all clicks together, they are convinced that I do understand it, and that's good enough for them. I think it helps that my degree is in mathematics, so when I tell them, "Poker is about math," they trust that I have a clue what I'm talking about.

Heck, one time when I was talking to my Dad about poker, he asked me, "so, would you be able to learn to count cards in blackjack?" (A friend of his from years ago used to do regular Vegas trips and did quite well at BJ). I just smiled, pulled my copy of "Blackjack Attack" off the bookshelf and showed it to him. He got this semi-stunned look on his face and said, "Well, I guess that answers *that*."