Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: About Ed and Elaine Brown, the couple who refused to pay taxes..

The thing that bothers me is that individuals don't have an income tax. Corporations have an income tax. We have a revenue tax. We should be able to deduct all our living and working expenses from our revenue, and then pay taxes only on the net income just like corporations.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that bothers me is that individuals don't have an income tax. Corporations have an income tax. We have a revenue tax. We should be able to deduct all our living and working expenses from our revenue, and then pay taxes only on the net income just like corporations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul, 08
Old 10-19-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Living expenses are income... corporations obviously don't have them.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignoring the fact that taxes on businesses only serve to double tax individuals (We tax the companies and pass the cost on you you) I think you have it backwards. We have an income tax (i.e. we pay tax on our gross income less certain deductions) while corporations get to write most income off and only pay taxes on revenue.

Cody
Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM

People that protest taxes by not paying them remind me of Palestinians who throw rocks at Israeli tanks to protest the occupation.

An utterly futile exercise in martyrdom that only causes trouble for themselves but certainly gets the zealots all riled up.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People that protest taxes by not paying them remind me of Palestinians who throw rocks at Israeli tanks to protest the occupation.

An utterly futile exercise in martyrdom that only causes trouble for themselves but certainly gets the zealots all riled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you get into a philosophical jam if you support a political movement which is based on being 'ultimately responsible for your own actions' and then you don't act in accordance with the movement's beliefs.

Basically an AC'er who pays his taxes and abides the laws is a good a statist as anyone else. His opinion of the state being bad certainly isn't a problem.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you get into a philosophical jam if you support a political movement which is based on being 'ultimately responsible for your own actions' and then you don't act in accordance with the movement's beliefs.

Basically an AC'er who pays his taxes and abides the laws is a good a statist as anyone else. His opinion of the state being bad certainly isn't a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and don't complain about crime if you give your wallet to a mugger! You're just encouraging them by tacitly consenting!

Get real.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a hero as far as I'm concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this point of view. As near as I can tell, they never actually said "we're not paying taxes because we don't believe in it and we're making a stand". They said "we're not paying taxes because the written rules we think are valid say we don't have to". To me, that makes them as "heroic" as someone who says "we're not paying our insurance premiums because we don't believe the contract says we have to". There's very little priniciple in the discussion at all as far as I can see.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Basically an AC'er who pays his taxes and abides the laws is a good a statist as anyone else - doesn't matter if you do it to avoid punishment. His opinion of the state being bad certainly isn't a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and don't complain about crime if you give your wallet to a mugger! You're just encouraging them by tacitly consenting!

Get real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

That doesn't go against anything I just said. If you pay your taxes and abide the laws then you are as good a citizen and part of the system as anyone else. You certainly have the freedom of think and say you don't support the system - so that doesn't make an ounce of difference in that regard, its probably even very healthy for the system that someone does.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Basically an AC'er who pays his taxes and abides the laws is a good a statist as anyone else - doesn't matter if you do it to avoid punishment. His opinion of the state being bad certainly isn't a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

That doesn't go against anything I just said. If you pay your taxes and abide the laws then you are as good a citizen and part of the system as anyone else. You certainly have the freedom of think and say you don't support the system - so that doesn't make an ounce of difference in that regard, its probably even very healthy for the system that someone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

So where is the "philosophical jam"?