Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

Bring your hips back first on squats to get your weight back.

I use to have that problem when I first started squatting. Your just going to have to make a constant effort to work on form.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 AM

<font color="#0000ff">9. Nov</font>

Squat: 3x5x88
Bench: 3x5x121
Deadlift: 1x3x220

Additional:
1 Pullup, a few failed powerclean attempts at 130

Squat-form is still giving me problems so I'm staying at this weight (which is pretty comfortable) until I figure it out.

Benchpress went great. I keep adding weight and it keeps going up with ease, which is pretty exiting for me cause pressing has always been my worst exercise (I have a 6'5" wingspan) and the cause of tons of gym envy.

And I am officialy the dumbest person alive. My back has been really feeling better lately so I decide to ramp it up on the deadlift. I do a lot of warmups with different weights and end up on 176. It's pretty easy and I can't feel anything in my back so I stupidly try to go for the 4 plates (my first time ever lifting 4 plates in any lift).

Bad idea. The main problem is that I try to control the descent of the bar to much and that tweaks my back again. So now I just added a month or so to my recovery. It's been a couple of days now and I am getting better but not as good as I was before the workout. Why do I have to be so [censored] dumb?

Beat: Pants that fit me a few months ago have gotten too tight around the thighs. I'm hoping it's mostly muscle but can't be really sure.

I'm seriously considering switching from bulking to cutting cause I hate feeling bloated and fat like this. I'm really not thin by any means but I've never had any muscle to speak of either so both options are tantalizing. To bad doing both at once is so difficult.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

<font color="#0000ff">12. Nov</font>

Front Squat: 3x5x88
Mil.Press: 3x5x88
Pen.Rows: 3x3x88

Additional:
Pullups @ 4 plates: 2, 1.5, 1.5
Clean&amp;Press: 1x1x88, 1x1x110

The powerrack was in use so I used a bar from a bench and cleaned from the floor and then did front squats. I think my form might have been better than for the back squats, at least it was easier for me to stay on my heels. Maybe I should just stick to front squats?

I added the clean&amp;press at the end 'cause I love doing those. Should I not do that?

Back feels ok after the exercise. Just gotta be careful with the weight and I think I'll be fine.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Additional:

The powerrack was in use so I used a bar from a bench and cleaned from the floor and then did front squats. I think my form might have been better than for the back squats, at least it was easier for me to stay on my heels. Maybe I should just stick to front squats?

I added the clean&amp;press at the end 'cause I love doing those. Should I not do that?

Back feels ok after the exercise. Just gotta be careful with the weight and I think I'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think front squats are quite a bit easier to stay upright and keep the lower back straight at the bottom. This prevents one from lifting with their back or leaning over too much as well. I would still work on back squats, just try to improve your form. Just do which ever one you feel like doing though. If you're getting hurt cuz of back squats but front squats don't, do front squats.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:34 PM

I find squat variants (front/Zercher) easier to maintain proper form with since you find out v quickly when you don't.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:38 PM

You should stop trying to change this program and just do it.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to my squats, my additional exercises or my diet?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Additional:

[/ QUOTE ]

It is fine to sub fronts squats for back squats if the racks are occupied, but otherwise I agree with Thremp that you ought to stick with the program.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you have an injury, so it is right to adjust. I honestly think what happens is that we go into this program too quick. Many people are going from a totally deconditioned state to lifting heavy complex movements. That's a recipe for injury. Many people end up having to drop weight anyways and work on form (getting to full squat depth safely), so you might as well get it done in the beginning.

Thremp is just rar hardcore, so take that into account. Front squats are totally fine. The difference in the grand scheme is miniscule.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you have an injury, so it is right to adjust. I honestly think what happens is that we go into this program too quick. Many people are going from a totally deconditioned state to lifting heavy complex movements. That's a recipe for injury. Many people end up having to drop weight anyways and work on form (getting to full squat depth safely), so you might as well get it done in the beginning.

Thremp is just rar hardcore, so take that into account. Front squats are totally fine. The difference in the grand scheme is miniscule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't see the contradiction between recommending one sticks to the program and one stepping backwards to focus on form and progressing with care.